dial-up update loading too slow-data transfer rate?

goneflat

n00b
So I have a really neat computer sitting here,
2500K, P8z68-v, samsung 830 64gb ssd, corsair vengeance 16gb, deskstar hdd, firepro v5800

I have a non-descript trendnet 56K v.92 dial up modem installed to pci slot1 on my mobo
The phone company says they can't get a quicker connection than 31.2 Kbps established to dial up users in this area.
The real issue is the data transfer rate.
I have seen it reach as high as 6.xx Kbps but generally hovers around 2.5 Kbps.
Now it is down to 1.xx Kbps and I took the last 48 hours downloading all the updates for windows and several other updates for hardware etc.
Now I need the ATI firepro update and 114 Mb will take over 16 hours at my average speed, and some 32 hours at the new slower speed.
I'm wondering if you guys have any recollection of dial up and all the time it took to do simple tasks?
If anyone has any suggestions I'll try them out.
Thank you all again,

Have you considered getting satellite or wireless internet (that is point-to-point microwave, not running off cell towers)? It would be considerably faster. There's not really a whole lot you can do about the speeds with dial up.

Hi there and thanks,
I'm thinking that sattellite is a bit expensive.
Sending or receiving large files is a relative bear.
Something like, for instance, a youtube clip of someone assembling a computer that is a mere 19Mb file might take say up to 2-3 hours to download on a good day.
Now it's untenable that I'd send or receive large spreadsheets or photographs via download at my transfer rate.
So now it's really that I or anyone else in this valley can't have dial up and use it fer reals?

Sadly dial up is a dying breed, new motherboards don't even have a port for them. Cheapest option I can think of is using a 3G/4G network with a wireless adapter.

Sadly dial up is a dying breed, new motherboards don't even have a port for them. Cheapest option I can think of is using a 3G/4G network with a wireless adapter.

Not quite. 3G/4G wireless adapters actually require a mobile (cellular) phone contract, which can cost far more than $100 per month. And the wireless adapters can be expensive themselves, especially if credit cannot be established due to various reasons. And yes, 3G/4G data plans have extremely low download limits (typically 250MB to 2GB) - and going over that limit will incur overage charges or (in the case of T-Mobile) a severe slowdown of the connection speed and data throughput for the remainder of that billing cycle. These combined actually make 3G/4G service even more expensive in the long term than conventional broadband (cable or satellite).

Companies such as Tmobile, ATT and Verizon all currently offer 3G/4G wireless data plans for mobile devices other than cellphones, and they don't require a voice plan with it, so the price is actually in the $20-$40 a month range, depending on if you go for a 2GB limit or unlimited. Typically, once you sign up for one of these plans for the first time, they also provide a free USB wireless adapter. Also, Tmobile and Sprint offer truly unlimited plans, without any data throttling/max usage cap, unlike Verizon and AT&T. I'm suggesting this path cause it sounds like OP won't be using that much bandwidth a month, if he's been surviving off of 56k dialup so far.

Companies such as Tmobile, ATT and Verizon all currently offer 3G/4G wireless data plans for mobile devices other than cellphones, and they don't require a voice plan with it, so the price is actually in the $20-$40 a month range, depending on if you go for a 2GB limit or unlimited. Typically, once you sign up for one of these plans for the first time, they also provide a free USB wireless adapter. Also, Tmobile and Sprint offer truly unlimited plans, without any data throttling/max usage cap, unlike Verizon and AT&T. I'm suggesting this path cause it sounds like OP won't be using that much bandwidth a month, if he's been surviving off of 56k dialup so far.

Not in my area, unfortunately: Currently, all of the providers in my area require a long-term contract - and charge the same price as mobile voice/data package service even if I do not have voice at all. I cannot speak for the OP's service area.

Really? No Verizon LTE and such? That sucks, hope they'll bring that service to you soon!

Really? No Verizon LTE and such? That sucks, hope they'll bring that service to you soon!

Technically, it's available, but not to every address in my area. It happened that my particular address is several blocks outside the companies' coverage area.

Also, 3G (or so-called "FauxG") is not fast enough for regular video streaming or downloading: Most times, 3G/FauxG is only about as fast as slow 1.5 Mbps DSL. You need at least 6 Mbps to comfortably stream video.

Hey you guys and thanks
The service available out here is $50 for 5g from verizon(maybe it was 4g I can't remember)
or 50 for the least expensive hughesnet satellite.
Satellite is limited to 250 Mb per day for the $50
I'm not so daunted by that,
I rarely watch video,
although I would if I could.
I don't want to pay more than the $25 I'm paying now for both my phone bill and unlimited dial up.
So driving to town with a flash drive for my failed update is today's big fun.
I tried downloading it twice, waited for about 24 hours and have finally thrown in the towel.
I'll go to a friend's and get it from his computer.
I have malwarebytes and security essentials
am I safe using any flash drive?
Thank you

Technically, it's available, but not to every address in my area. It happened that my particular address is several blocks outside the companies' coverage area.

Also, 3G (or so-called "FauxG") is not fast enough for regular video streaming or downloading: Most times, 3G/FauxG is only about as fast as slow 1.5 Mbps DSL. You need at least 6 Mbps to comfortably stream video.

Gonna have to call BS on this one. I can stream Netflix with reasonable quality through my phone hotspot to a wifi blueray player. Used around 650-700kbps over the 20 min that I tested and only buffered once. Now granted that cell datapans have MUCH lower caps than standard broadband, (2gb/mo vs. 100+), so this might now be the ideal solution, but it is possible. Obviously YMMV, but 6Mbps is a bit high.

^ Agreed. 6Mbps is a pretty high estimate of required bandwidth. The only videos that come anywhere close to that are full 1080p vids, which might clock in at sizes of around 2 gigs per hour. That's 33 MB/min, or 500KBps, but nowhere close to 6Mbps. Most videos you would stream from online sources like youtube and netflix are MUCH lower than that, maybe at 1Mbps for a "high def" version.

However, since OP isn't looking to stream videos or such, a $50 Verizon LTE+ plan might be excessive. In this case it might just be best to stick with dial-up, and use internet cafes as needed for higher bandwidth allocation.

make your phones lines are in good shape. After they ran filber lines to my friends back in the day. It went from 24 Kbps to 48-52Kbps. It went getting that thru netzero and compuserve

Yeah,
I already talked to the phone company, my isp, and wireless/satellite providers.
I just failed another try at downloading the driver.
I was stubborn like paul newman.
Tomorrow I'll really go to town.
My friend says that it'll take 15 minutes on his computer.
Good and good.
I'm thinking I don't have the dern thing configured correctly,
all the time I took waiting and a failed download in the last few minutes twice now.
Something ain't right,
a mystery it seems.
I need to install the updates then I'll do more ignvestigating
and why do all the correctly spelled words indicate a mispelling with an underline under them??!!
hey and thanks you guys really.

Where are you located at? There may be a local fixed wireless provider, if there is, service is probably under $50/mo.

I live in the outlands of SF
1/2 way to Santa Cruz.
10 miles to the next town in any direction, maybe about 200 residents?
Less in a given square mile, maybe 20-50 people? Maybe less.
Phone company has nothing to gain by providing better dial up.
When a 16 hour download fails in the last 3-4 minutes, twice,
sure makes a guy examine ways to shorten a download.
I might just say I'll have to send or receive large files from town.
What's the best way to do that?
Touchpad?
Hey thanks again

Back