Dial-Up speeds on my Cable internet

noobman

[H]ard|Gawd
It's really wierd acutally... I've got a network with 2 computers. One of them is a P4 2.53ghz, 1 gig ram, bla bla bla...

...the other is a P3 600, 128mb ram, onboard video, bla bla bla....

Both of them are connected to each other and the cable modem via a router.

My P4 gets normal speeds, but my P3 runs like dialup. I'm getting a transfer speed of like 3kB/s on this machine, whereas my P4 can get around 130kB/s for the exact same file from the same server. What's going on?!

Test both at dslreports.com to verify there's a difference in speeds. Then upgrade the drivers for the NIC in the P3 box, if no luck I'd install another NIC.

MetalX said:
Test both at dslreports.com to verify there's a difference in speeds. Then upgrade the drivers for the NIC in the P3 box, if no luck I'd install another NIC.
I have an integrated NIC and a PCI NIC. Both of them give me the same speeds. I'm acutally starting to think it COULD be the cable... but that doesn't really make sense does it??

it would make sense, cable issues can cause some of the weirdest effects around, cables are cheap why not swap it just to be sure.

could be bad port on switch/router.

you can also use something like ethereal to see whats going on with the packets.

What OS is on each?
Patched?
Have you tried any tweak utilities?

You can rule out the router in about 30 seconds by swapping cables.

OK I tried a cable I made in Cisco, and an extra ethernet cable I had lying around.... neither of them fixed the problem.

I also tried a different port on the router, still no solution.

Both windows XP, both Service Pack 2.

Back