Diagnostic help requested for computer that won't turn on

PiSquared

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading this. I built a small computer for a friend back in April. It seemed to be just fine for a while but then a few issues crept up. The computer wouldn't shut down for about a week. Then that went away. A few days after it wouldn't turn on at all except that the keyboard connected to the PS/2 port flashed on briefly. It still exhibits this behavior.

I've checked the motherboard connections, all of which were secure. I swapped out the power supply for another one I know works and the same thing happened. My hunch is that the motherboard is the culprit but am hoping for other ideas I may have overlooked. In case it helps, here is the component list.

Processor: Intel Core i3-4330
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/ac LGA 1150 Intel H97
Power supply: SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G 450W SFX12V Modular
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
Optical drive: SAMSUNG 8x Internal Slim DVD Burner SN-208FB/BEBE
Storage: Crucial BX-100 500GB
Case: LIAN LI PC-TU100A Silver Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Any input is greatly appreciated. We're hoping to fix this to make it an awesome portable gaming box by adding a video card, likely a GTX 960.

Any thoughts? If I have to I'll get a new motherboard tomorrow but would be nice to hear from fellow [H]ers.

I would guess the motherboard also if you are sure everything else is fine.

I would for poops and giggles run memtest on the ram to check for faults.

Thanks for the sanity check. We're sending it in for an RMA and I'll run memtest on the new one as soon as we get it.

Did you disconnect all devices except the processor and a single memory stick?

You can try one stick at a time, if one works and not the other that's your culprit.

Sounds like the motherboard.
However, try disconnecting the front panel power switch and use a screwdriver to short the relevant pins on the motherboard to turn it on. Hold for 4 seconds to force power-off.

Back