Diagnosing wierd blue screen.....computer is critical.

char507

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
159
So I woke up this morning and sat down at my computer. (MSI K8N Neo2, AMD Athlon64 3200+, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Corsair XMS PC3200LL any other details needed can be specified and posted). I started up winamp and opened firefox and bam. I got about a 5 second blue screen of death, not long enough to read it, then the computer restarts. The computer starts up but cannot reach windows...the screen just turns black. Booting in safe mode works but trying to boot and run the Maxtor power max diag program does not. Any suggestions?
 
char507 said:
So I woke up this morning and sat down at my computer. (MSI K8N Neo2, AMD Athlon64 3200+, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Corsair XMS PC3200LL any other details needed can be specified and posted). I started up winamp and opened firefox and bam. I got about a 5 second blue screen of death, not long enough to read it, then the computer restarts. The computer starts up but cannot reach windows...the screen just turns black. Booting in safe mode works but trying to boot and run the Maxtor power max diag program does not. Any suggestions?
Are you trying to boot to a floppy to run PowerMax? If not, try booting to the floppy for HDD diagnostics and MemTest86.
 
To figure out what the BSOD said, go into Safe Mode and do this:

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer

In Event Viewer, click System, and look for red bubbles that appear around the time the BSOD occurred. This will tell you the hex(I think its hex anyway), post the code and search for the code on Microsoft's website, this will tell you the cause, usually.
 
Back
Top