• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Diagnosing my 9800 lockup and corruption problems ...

Qualm

Gawd
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
562
Is there a utility out there that would show me how much power the molex on my ATI 9800 non-pro is drawing? Also, does the power draw change depending on what the card is doing, or is it constant? What are the symptoms like if the card can't get the power it needs? Does the VPU lock, or what?

I'm trying to diagnose two video card problems, which may or may not be related: lockups (VPURecover sometimes catches it, sometimes it locks hard), and graphics corruption that occurs in graphics-intensive games, but not in regular windows apps. It has been getting worse and worse lately - I don't *think* it's heat-related, I'm beginning to suspect it's power-related because it got a lot worse after I made the mistake of moving cables around and putting the 9800 power on the same cable as two hard drives.

p.s. If it turns out to be heat-related, what's the best after-market cooler to put on a 9800 non-pro?

- Qualm
 
how are your voltage lines on the psu and what is the psu/stuff on it ... and don't discount heat as the issue ...run your 9800 pro on it own line for sure ... Vga silencer or the new Zalaman with dual heatpipes
 
If it's heat related, I whole-heartedly recommend the Artic Cooling "VGA Silencer" - can be had for about $15 shipped ( www.newegg.com , or www.crazypc.com ) and is a good idea regardless of whether or not you overclock. Obviously as you can see in my sig, I was able to achieve XT speeds with no problems, plus my case and CPU temp dropped because the Silencer dumps hot air outside the case rather than inside.
 
how are your voltage lines on the psu and what is the psu/stuff on it

Originally I had Antec True 430's in this case, which literally blew up, twice. I have no idea why, and neither did Antec. Put in an Enlight 300 and it ran no problem, but that was with 2 fans, open case, DVD-ROM disconnected. Several months ago I connected all 5 fans, closed the case, and connected the DVD-ROM drive. Still ran fine, till the last month or two when I've been getting video lockups in Desert Combat, and now I'm getting lockups in just about every graphics-intensive game. So I put in an Enlight 360, which is when I made the mistake with the power cable making it worse, not better ... which I intend to fix tonight.

I need to download some monitoring software and see if I can get any further with the diagnosis, and I was wondering if there is anything out there that will let me monitor the 9800 molex power draw directly :cool:

- Qualm
 
Back
Top