• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Diagnose my CRT problem

jayjaya29

Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
928
Okay, I have a 17" Magnavox 700V CRT monitor. I have been using it for at least 3 years with no problems. Just around the new year, I started having a problem where the monitor would get all messed up. Here is what it looks like:



It goes back to normal if I smack it on the side of the monitor. Usually, within 30 seconds, it happens again. I smack it again and it goes away for a while. It randomly happens, doesn't matter if I am gaming or just idling. It comes up, I hit the monitor, it goes back to normal.

I am thinking of buying an LCD monitor, but I want to hold off for as long as I can. What do you suggest?
 
See this is -EXACTLY- what I am talking about...

Here is what this guy's build is:
AMD 64 3200+
-MSI K8N Neo2 Plat
-1GB Patriot 3200XBL TCCD
-XFX 6800 Unlocked
-OCZ Powerstream 520W
-2 WD800JD SATAs

Now look at his monitor...
:rolleyes:

Do everyone a favor and get a new monitor, anything would be better than that bulbous tubed, shadow mask dinosaur. I mean, was it not bad enough to have that bleeding, bleached out white screen as an excuse for a display?

Cripes man If you don't want to spend lot, just get a new CRT. Anything would be better than that thing man.

I wouldn't take the time considering the multitude of problems with your tube to have it do that, the investment into fixing it would be quadruple the cost of what that monitor is worth.
 
No, my monitor's quality is crisp and extremely good, its just a bad picture from my digicam. I don't want to get it fixed, I know its not worth the price at any rate. Just wanted to see what you guys think of the situation.
 
most likely bad caps, see it happen all the time... if that monitor is lees then 20" buy a new one.... cost in fixing will be about 75 to 100 bucks at least...
 
I had a TV that started doing that. One day the screen just flashed and BOOM (well ok it didn't actually explode or anything). After that though the tube was completely shot. I would say the monitor is about to die. :(
 
If smacking the side makes it go back to normal I would think its a bad / cracked solder joint somewhere rather than a defective part. The hard part would be finding the area that needs to be resoldered.
 
I have that on my Sony 2 yr. ago. One of the gun is dying due to age. Whatever color that should be, but it is not, is the gun that is dying.

Display a RED, Green, Blue big bar at the start up of your screen and nothing else. If you don't see the red, then the Red gun is dying. Eventually, you can't view anything no matter how hard you smash the side of that monitor.

The repair cost is more than a new monitor. If you are using 6800, you should have a 24" Dell to match your computer performance. I never understand how can anyone put up w/ a 17"? I jump to 20" since 1997.
 
Alright, thanks for the responses people. I am definitely going widescreen or at minimum 19" LCD. I am just going to have to wait 2 weeks or so for money to filter in. I think it will work until then since I have had the problem for awhile. Thanks for your help guys.
 
Back
Top