Diablo 3 implied delayed

This is just the "you can't please everyone" problem. People disliked TPing nonstop to unload gear, so they made the cube and cauldron. People disliked never having to go back to town, so they turned off the cube and the cauldron. They decided to meet in the middle by making you always have the ability to TP, but everyone pretty much already had that because they carried stacks of portals.

I played the beta to death when I first got in, but there simply isn't enough content to judge how fun it will be.

I understand why some people want to see a zillion different stat numbers on gear, but I don't. This is the opposite extreme, and might as well just have weapons and armor that are solely usable by one class.

Whoever said it earlier is probably right: The PC Version is going to sit on a shelf for months collecting dust while we wait for this all important console version because we all know that it's thanks to the consoles and console gamers that the Diablo series is where it's at today.

This is just the "you can't please everyone" problem. People disliked TPing nonstop to unload gear, so they made the cube and cauldron. People disliked never having to go back to town, so they turned off the cube and the cauldron. They decided to meet in the middle by making you always have the ability to TP, but everyone pretty much already had that because they carried stacks of portals.

I think part of the problem is Blizzard's approach. They let a bunch of people into the beta months ahead of time. This causes them to get a lot of criticism, then they go overkill trying to correct it and make everyone happy.

Sometimes companies try polishing a game so much, they start takign away from the game. This might be what is going on now with D3.

As for the tp/neph cube etc thing, their new system still is pretty poor. I don't want to be going back to town to sell or scrap loot I don't want, I only want to go back to get quest updates, upgrade equipment and stock up potions. Their judgment on creating breaks in combat is severely mistaken. At least Torchlight gave you pets who can autosell equipment you don't want...

^ See that is the problem with today's gamers/society everyone wants things done for them. Breaks in combat is a good idea. Breaks in combat allows the person to evaluate there character stats, items and make appropriate adjustments to there gear trade with friends/other players and so on. It Also gives the player a chance to interact with the townsfolk and get more immersed in the environment of the game.

The developers made the right decision and myself as well as the Diablo loyalists applaud them for it.

Last edited:
^ See that is the problem with today's gamers everyone wants things done for them. Breaks in combat is a good idea. Breaks in combat allows the person to evaluate there character stats, items and make appropriate adjustments to there gear trade with friends/other players and so on. It Also gives the player a chance to interact with the townsfolk and get more immersed in the environment of the game.

The developers made the right decision and myself as well as the Diablo loyalists applaud them for it.

There's barely any character stats to evaluate in D3 though...

At the rate there going that could very well change in the coming months. Lets hope so, it looks like there on the right path.

They're keeping the console in mind with every decision they make. Clearly they're not going to be upping the complexity of stats/character. cmon now :p

Hey it is still one of the best games ever released and I would go back to playing it if we still had maphack.

You quit playing because you could no longer cheat in the game? Something tells me the Diablo 2 community is better off without you...

ive been waiting for diablo 3 for 10-11 years, i dont care if its delayed a little longer

This is the one of my biggest reasons for hating consoles.

All the consoles fault! You tell them there consoles!

edit. On topic, based on what little limited insider information I have ... this is likely now getting pushed back to 2013.

Man we can sit here and say console, or the wow subscription pre buy or whatever but it all boils down to activision and the greed of that POS company.

Auction house so they get a cut of the online eq sales, God I remember ebaying tons of stuff.

No skills or planning and only hit 2 keys over and over, that is casual and I want to scream consoles but its just sell it to anyone, get that sale...
GET THAT SALE and then sit back and hope they can figure a way to make 3 mo expansions for $$$$$ or something to make up for the $15 a month they want SOOOooooo bad.
I am betting they will start selling classes, and stats and eq.

so really I can't say one way or the other, is the dev team a bunch of moron losers that can't make a Diablo (wish the old team was back) or is it all the fault of activision saying what they want and the devs are just doing what they are told.
Either way this game will not be a DII LOD thats for sure.
They want my money give me DIII and an updated (JUST THE GRAPHICS) DII in one box. I WILL BUY IT
I believe that if they made a DII updated with new graphics and had a menu of play 1.08 1.09 1.10 etc and make it open play it would out sale the new one.

Last edited:
Are people seriously forgetting how horrid the original D2 skill trees were? 3/4th of the skills were just traps that were useless outside of normal difficulty, and respeccing didn't even exist until recently. It usually boiled down to spamming two skills - one you use on a majority of the enemies and a second one that you use on whatever is immune to your main attack (usually a pure magic damage attack). Add in a couple support skills (teleport, armor, or an aura) and that was it. Even spellcasters usually ended up being based around two spells (meteor / ice orb), with a utility spell like teleport.

I much rather have 4-5 skills that are customizable than a bunch of junk skills.

Are people seriously forgetting how horrid the original D2 skill trees were? 3/4th of the skills were just traps that were useless outside of normal difficulty, and respeccing didn't even exist until recently. It usually boiled down to spamming two skills - one you use on a majority of the enemies and a second one that you use on whatever is immune to your main attack (usually a pure magic damage attack). Add in a couple support skills (teleport, armor, or an aura) and that was it. Even spellcasters usually ended up being based around two spells (meteor / ice orb), with a utility spell like teleport.

I much rather have 4-5 skills that are customizable than a bunch of junk skills.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Let me give you a hint, it's consoles around here for the world's problems. You need to be more negative, hate anything that is different, call it "dumbing it down for console players" and be ungrateful for every game ever made. Or for developers taking chances and attempts at making a dynamic new system for a game that's been around for 11 years. Now, make a sarcastic frowny face, and look down upon consoles.

I disagree. Most of the skills could be useful depending on what you wanted. Some people played for fun and some were powergamers. As for selecting a few skills to max from the many that were there, that was fine as well since it created a variation of characters. You could have 8 sorces in one game but some were meter/orb or charged bolt or fireball or lightning or etc... Same for the other characters. Now what you have in D3 is the character can do anything and everything another character can do.

No, I actually remember most of the skills being useful.

The skill trees in DII were useless... if you wanted a viable character in hell you had to plan from lvl 1... even a misclick would cause you to have to start over.

Revisionist history going on here.

The skill trees in DII were useless... if you wanted a viable character in hell you had to plan from lvl 1... even a misclick would cause you to have to start over.

This.

I've played D2 relatively hardcore even up through the previous ladder reset they've had. People are generally correct when they say you had to plan ahead to be Hell difficulty viable (though this wasn't the case in 1.09 and under IIRC), as well only spamming a few abilities. If you were a paladin in 1.10+ for example, chances are you played a Hammerdin because it was the "best", the only other option was a Smiter for Ubers runs. That means you either spammed Blessed Hammer or Smite. It wasn't complex in the slightest. All Barbarians do still is Whirlwind or Berzerk for physical immunes. Sorceress's actually have a little variance, but once you go down a certain tree its back to spamming 1-2 abilities. Lighting = Spam Lightning, Fire = Spam Metor/Fireball, Ice = Spam Blizzard

etc etc.

It's still a good game regardless of these "flaws". I liked the simple gameplay. It was all about collecting items anyways, not showing you were 'pro' because you mastered some random skill rotation.

I've played D2 relatively hardcore even up through the previous ladder reset they've had. People are generally correct when they say you had to plan ahead to be Hell difficulty viable (though this wasn't the case in 1.09 and under IIRC), as well only spamming a few abilities. If you were a paladin in 1.10+ for example, chances are you played a Hammerdin because it was the "best", the only other option was a Smiter for Ubers runs. That means you either spammed Blessed Hammer or Smite. It wasn't complex in the slightest.

Only if you wanted to solo uber runs. There many viable specs but people like to point out the most efficient and say that's all the game would allow you to use.

Only if you wanted to solo uber runs. There many viable specs but people like to point out the most efficient and say that's all the game would allow you to use.

Viable is a relative term. Playing a Barbarian in Hell difficulty untwinked is painfully slow. If you already beat the game why put yourself through such things when you could make a Sorceress or something and just cruise through it all.

ZOMG the game actually forced you to think and plan a head? What a horrible game. How dare they not hold your hand the entire way and baby you.

ZOMG the game actually forced you to think and plan a head? What a horrible game. How dare they not hold your hand the entire way and baby you.

LOL, he's not saying that to say that he couldn't plan ahead. I'm sure everyone that plays these games in a hardcore fashion can easily do so. The idea of planning ahead means that all other options are no longer viable, it becomes almost a mechanistic style of playing. Whereas the new system should allow you to diversify even at the highest difficulty. Skill trees were so pointless, and stat points. If you gave one shit about the game and were hardcore at all, you did cookie cutter builds and that's it. There was no choice, it's just an illusion. Actually I take that back, there is a choice, a choice to end up with a shitty character.

Back