DHCP troubles

Jarod888

2[H]4U
Here is my setup, what I've tried and the results.

I have a Linksys Cable modem, model # BEFCMU10.
I have a Linksys 4 port Router, model # BEFSR41. Firmware Version: 1.04.17, Nov 26 2003

The 4 ports of the router go to various locations in my house. At one of those locations I have an 8 port hub. It is a 3 com. I have a connection from the router to port 1 on the hub.
Port 2 is connected to my computer. The motherboard is a DFI NF590. Port 3 is connected to another computer, motherboard DFI NF4 Expert. On port 4 is a Dell 3500 laptop. Both port 3 and 4 see DHCP fine. The one other computer that is connected directly to the router gets dhcp just fine also. They all pull an address and all is well. My computer will not get a DHCP address.

So far I have tried hooking my computer to the router directly, release and renewing the Ip, and still no dhcp. I have tried different ports on the router, different ports on the hub, and still no dhcp. I have tried stopping dhcp service and restarting the computer and allowing it to restart. Still nothing. So far the only way I can get online is to use a static IP in the range that I have set in the router. When I release and renew the IP with DHCP enabled in the properties of TCP/IP, I get an ip of 169... the subnet is 255.255.0.0.

I want to get DHCP so that I can set up some sharing of files, and practice mapping of drives.
Is there something wrong with the network ports on the computer? I have tried both and they have the same issue. Is there something wrong with the install, and should I just start over from scratch with a fresh install of XP pro? Is there something that I am missing?

I have tried everything that I can think of. Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Try updating firmware on the motherboard
Try updating drivers for the NIC
Try a factory hard reset on the router...and then update the firmware on it.(make note of settings you've done on the router so you can enter them again after firmware update)

and it never hurts to run winsock fix...

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

i'd probably also look to see in the connected devices on the router and see if your mac is showing up (probably not), but if it is, try making a static dhcp entry for that mac....

there may be a problem with your router not claiming the addresses back or something... (so it has none left)

even if none of the stuff NEEDS the firmware updates and things that stonecat suggested, its a good way to do a full clean restart of the systems affected

i might also run wireshark to see if i see any broadcasts from dhcp
"discover", "offer", "request", and "ack"...

if you end up going this route (and want to use this as a learning experience), and you'd like to learn more about wireshark, just ask

Back