DHCP Server not showing Address Leases

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
The server will hand out an IP address and allow data to pass through, but when you go into the DHCP manager and look at hte address leases it's handed out, none are showing up.

this sounds like you may have more than one DHCP server in your network.....

I had this exact same scenario back a few years ago.

We had switched from using DHCP on our Sonicwall to our Windows 2000 server. They were handing out basically the same information.

About 9 months later I noticed that the Window DHCP server was not showing many addresses but did not think anything of it. Then a few days later I was having weird DNS issues and noticed when typing IPCONFIG /all I had the wrong DHCP server.

Somehow the DHCP on the Sonicwall had been switched back on. I was the only person with the access to do that and I know I didn't do it. Anyways this time I deleted the DHCP pools and then disabled the DHCP service so it could not happen again.

is the DHCP server on the same VLAN or broawdcast domain as the network it is suposed to hand out addresses too. If not you need to specify the DHCP server in the router. Yes probly something else is handing out addresses

running "ipconfig /all" from a client will tell you which DHCP server handed them the lease.

I'll assume it's a W2k3 / W2k server. If so, is the little icon next to DHCP green or red. Green is activated.....red is stopped.

If it's red...just right click and fire away.

I'll assume it's a W2k3 / W2k server. If so, is the little icon next to DHCP green or red. Green is activated.....red is stopped.

If it's red...just right click and fire away.

It is a W2k3 server. It's green and activated. On this lan it's the only thing that can be handing out IP addresses. It's handing them out, but not showing what it's handed out in the DHCP menu.

Just for grins have you done an ipconfig /all from a client to verify?

If it does show the server as the DHCP server then you may be need to reinstall the DHCP components in your server.

Just for grins have you done an ipconfig /all from a client to verify?

If it does show the server as the DHCP server then you may be need to reinstall the DHCP components in your server.

It does appear to not have the server as the DHCP server....

Well there is your problem. Have you identified what device is acting as a DHCP server?

Definitely check around and make sure someone hasn't installed rogue equipment that you have not approved (wireless access points often are the cause of this).

Well there is your problem. Have you identified what device is acting as a DHCP server?

Definitely check around and make sure someone hasn't installed rogue equipment that you have not approved (wireless access points often are the cause of this).

It's a router that is acting as the DHCP Server.

It boils down to which device do you want handling DHCP? The server's DHCP is independent of the router's DHCP (i.e. they are not tied together in any way).

It normally is not a good idea to run two DHCP servers unless each is handling their own subset of the pool and giving out the same information for redundancy. Normally I let the server handle DHCP and let the router handle routing.

Back