DHCP required ?

greyghost

Limp Gawd
Ther desktop I am using seems to be reqiuring me to use DHCP. I am behind a router (linksys), XPPro SP1, onboard LAN (IC7-G), and double-checked the subnet and first 3 groups in IP to make sure they match. Now running under a dynamic ip works, but I have a tendency to opt for the more difficult of situations, so I want static. Static used to work just fine and now it doesn't. No clue what has changed since then.

well, if the opposite were true, first thing I would do is open up the services.msc and go snooping around in there for anything DHCP; but since that is not the case, I don't know where to start.

Anybody have an idea on where I should start ? ?

When you set up the static address, are you giving it the router's IP for DNS and a gateway?

Your gateway must be the address of the router, but your router isn't a DNS server. You will have to get those from the router, or from the DNS entries when you have it set to dynamic.

The easiest way would be to set it for dynamic and write down all the addressing info, then switch to static and fill in the blanks.

Good luck.

Try describing your problem better. What kind of connectivity issues are you having. Internet, LAN. Can you ping a remote machine? Can you ping the gateway. Is your gateway correct. How about static DNS? Anyway, I imagine you get my point. You haven't provided enough information for detailed troubleshooting advice.

ok the weirdest thing is going on, I can go static with a small number xxx.xxx.xxx.19 but I can't with a larger number xxx.xxx.xxx.152.

gateway is correct
router settings have never changed
no connection to lan or net
no pinging of any kind is successful.
I guess bottom line is that it is working now albeit problem is not fixed, just circumvented.

I'm with ktwebb. What stops working, exactly? What diagnostics have you tried? Did you stop when ping failed?

You'll want to know if it's a DNS problem or a network addressing problem. Or something else. If you run a sniffer while trying to ping, what do you see?

What's the netmask? What are you trying to ping?

Back