DHCP release via logmein, can't connect anymore?

tgabe213

2[H]4U
I was connected to my PC at home. I forgot that I didn't have a static IP set up, and needed to release the DHCP leases from my router. Of course, it disconnected since my IP isn't static. However, I can't connect to my routers web interface over the internet now (before I connected with my desktops browser via logmein).. I know the web interface is enabled. I use it quite often. After clicking release, why can't I connect to it? I can't even ping it now. I can't do anything with it. Can't connect to my whs website or FTP.

Release the computer LAN IP from your routers DHCP service?
Or released the routers WAN IP from your ISP?

Either way...within a minute or so it should auto pickup again, and your computer will show as available again in due time.

You just released it, you didn't renew or repair?

Release the computer LAN IP from your routers DHCP service?
Or released the routers WAN IP from your ISP?

Either way...within a minute or so it should auto pickup again, and your computer will show as available again in due time.

'DHCP Release' was the button to clear the leases for my PC's inside. I never got to click Renew because I was connected via Logmein, so it timed out before it renewed.

I understand not being able to connect via logmein right away, but I can't even hit the web interface, ftp, http, anything right now. I wouldn't even know how to release the ISP's IP from my router.

sounds lke you released the router's DHCP information and will have to wait until you get back to renew it. You wouldn't be able to reach the web interface since the IP that was assigned to your router is no longer associated with it

The consumer routers I've seen (granted that isn't very many) don't have a way to release DHCP info for the PC's that are connected to them, and the button for Releasing and Renweing that are there are for the router itself to manage it's own connection through the WAN port.

Interesting. I guess I did release the WAN IP from my ISP. How long would it take to automatically renew? According to logmein, it's been 20 minutes.

If you did a DHCP release from your computer, that would only affect the computers LAN IP (192.168.1.101, etc)....it should auto repair and latch back on by now.

Now...it would not have affected your routers WAN IP from your ISP...zero relation there, most likely your internet connection dropped and you have a coincidence here.

If you did a DHCP release from your computer, that would only affect the computers LAN IP (192.168.1.101, etc)....it should auto repair and latch back on by now.

Now...it would not have affected your routers WAN IP from your ISP...zero relation there, most likely your internet connection dropped and you have a coincidence here.

from the sounds of it, he logged into his computer through LMI, then remotely opened a browser on his home computer and logged into his router, then in the router control panel clicked the release button, which release him from his ISP.

I clicked on this page's DHCP Release button from the web browser from my desktop at home. So, in theory, I was connectly locally..I think (I don't see anything in my browsing history here at work)

I clicked on this page's DHCP Release button from the web browser from my desktop at home. So, in theory, I was connectly locally..I think (I don't see anything in my browsing history here at work)

Yeah, that buttons releases your router from the ISP, not the PC's from your router.

For future reference, how do I release the internal IP leases (192.168.1.100, 101, 102, etc.)?

For future reference, how do I release the internal IP leases (192.168.1.100, 101, 102, etc.)?

open a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /release <adapter name>" replace <adapter name> with the actual name of the adapter that you want to release. You'll have to do that on all the computers individually, though. I don't think the router itself provides a way to reset all connections without doing a power cycle.

That was your WAN IP. You will have to reboot the router or renew when you get there

If you wanted to refresh something like the WAN IP again in the future, you need to just reboot the router... Just releasing it- it won't renew it until either you power cycle it or manually renew it.

Also, if you want to clear all the LAN IP Addresses at once from the router- a reboot will work. Otherwise, the clients all have expirations. To expire each client without touching the router then you can just go to each one and do your ipconfig /release

Also, you can release and renew IP addresses on the clients easily enough... Just don't do it from command line. Using Windows' built in repair tool (right-click on the connection you want to release/renew- click repair) it'll run through a release/renew procedure on its own... Should do it quick enough it won't even kick you off.

Unfortuantely I am at work. That's why I wasn't able to physically release the leases. Luckily I have a friend that just stopped at home to reset it for me.

Now I'm patiently waiting for it to give out new leases...

Back