DHCP Question

drgh0st

Limp Gawd
Supposely it's better to assign static ip to a client rather than do it automatically. Any reason why?

For "clients" not really. DHCP is a lot easier to do an maintain. You really only need to staticllyllylylylyy (can't spell) assign an IP usuallly in if its hosting something or providing some service to the network and is connected to by that known IP address.

i would only give something a static ip if it was say a network printer or a server.. otherwise let it be dynamic.. that way you don't get conflicts and you don't have to think.. "what ip should i make this computer"...

someone told me it's less likely to crash if it's static, I'm not sure if that's true or not cause he was trying to dumb down netowrking so my sister can understand it.

That doesn't make any sense. I can't figure out what exactly would crash more often if a client had dhcp information rather than static information. The only time I would assign a static ip address is if it needed to be known by other clients and I wanted it to be the same all the time. It doesn't really make a difference on the client side how it got its ip address or what it is.

It is nice to have static IP's to figure out if a machine is blasting spyware or viruses on the network or is hogging bandwith and your able to pinpoint it at your leisure rather then having to beat the lease release time limit. You also want static if your sharing files, folders, printers ect..ect..otherwise when the lease is up and changes, no one will be able to find the shares.

IceWind said:
You also want static if your sharing files, folders, printers ect..ect..otherwise when the lease is up and changes, no one will be able to find the shares.
Only if you connect via ip addresses. Use hostnames and you won't have any problems with different ip addresses.

jpmkm said:
Only if you connect via ip addresses. Use hostnames and you won't have any problems with different ip addresses.
Assuming you're running a DNS server too.

I'd say it's easier to use reserved DHCP than static for home networking (and in other places, too). That way your clients still pull down gateways, DNS, and such without your intervention, but still get the same IP every time.

However, for client connections, straight DHCP is the way to go. Static is just a PITA unless you've got a reason for it.

//edit: O[H]-Zone: or if you're on a Windows LAN, since it will track hostnames for you. No DNS needed.

O[H]-Zone said:
Assuming you're running a DNS server too.
Not necessarily. I am able to access samba shares and windows file shares by hostname and I am not running a dns server.

Host name with DNS, hosts file or whatever or NetBIOS name with WIN's or broadcasts. Other name resolution engines as well. Icewind's comments, while I am sure well intended, were a bit misleading. Some form of name resolution will be in place, even if it's MS browser elections or broadcasting.

Back