• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

DHCP MAC Authentication

powerhouse

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 8, 2000
Messages
153
Any use dhcp mac authentication for their network lan(one domain)? if so what hardware/software solution do you use?

Thanks
 
What kind of authetication do you mean, like having to require them to register there systems mac address before they can access the regular network?
 
You talking about DHCP Reservations using MAC Addresses or something else.
I use reservations here and they work great.
 
i thought on dhcp reservations you could only assign a static ip address, I still want to use a pool of ip's but only allow certain mac addresses to grab one.

for reference i'm talking about ~200 computers

edit:

I dont think im making myself clear. I do not want any unautherized computer to be allowed on the network. Like contractors, employee's personal computers.......
 
I use the linux dhcpd server to do this. If you have a linux box running on the network it is really easy to set up and Windows doesn't care that it is not the dhcp server.
 
deuce868,

sounds good but i have limited expirence with linux, do you have a good site with more info on linux dhcp? I would really prefer to stay with windows if possible and my dhcp server is also the RIS server.
 
powerhouse said:
deuce868,

sounds good but i have limited expirence with linux, do you have a good site with more info on linux dhcp? I would really prefer to stay with windows if possible and my dhcp server is also the RIS server.

If you don't have any experience with any linux machines then it's probably more work than you are looking for. I just added to an existing apache web server I was running so it was really easy. The sample config file that comes with dhcpd is actually a great reference to setting many options up.
 
Back
Top