DHCP Lease Renewal help?

DarkDubzs

Limp Gawd
Ive been living at a relatives house for a while and ive been using the wifi from their router not too far away, maybe like 10-20 feet away through a couple walls, so signal isnt amazing, but not horrible usually, but this is just temporary. Anyways, my cousin had configured their router for them, i believe it is a Cisco router, not sure what model though, their ISP is Time Warner Cable. It seems like everyday i get disconnected from the wifi signal whether i am on my iPod Touch or Xbox 360. My hardwired pc is fine though, just slow internet, but that is to be expected i guess (router, isp speed, devices connected and using bandwidth, etc.) Anyways, could this be because of DHCP Lease renewing? At my house before, i had AT&T U-Verse and the technician set up everything, i never messed with the gateway settings or anything they gave me, i had no need to... It was a default ATT Uverse gateway (modem/router/switch combo). I dont know much about DHCP renewal, but i believe the tech from ATT set the gateway to never expire or renew, and i believe my cousin set up this router to renew DHCP leases every whenever. Could this be the reason i get disconnected on WiFi devices every so often? I have problems with it everyday here, as where before with my old untouched-by-me internet was totally fine, so this leads to this suspicion.

Please help. Thanks!

Usually your ISP controls your Internet connection's lease time and it's typically not adjustable. It's 48 hours here with Time Warner. It's also not something you typically have to worry about, as it's all handled automatically by the router.

You can however control the lease time of the router's built in DHCP server in some router firmware. This is the DHCP server that is used by your local devices, if you have that setup.

It sounds like you might need to do more in-depth troubleshooting to me. You can start by checking the router's status when you experience these problems, by using it's GUI.

The answer is no.

Even if DHCP expired every 10 minutes your computer would simply request a new address every 8 minutes or so and renew the DHCP lease. It wouldn't disconnect.

Also, even if you lost DHCP completely it wouldn't disconnect you, you'd simply be connected with a 169.254.x.x IP

Now if you don't mean "disconnected" but you mean "I loose internet access even though my WiFi still says connected" that might be a different matter.

The answer is no.

Even if DHCP expired every 10 minutes your computer would simply request a new address every 8 minutes or so and renew the DHCP lease. It wouldn't disconnect.

Also, even if you lost DHCP completely it wouldn't disconnect you, you'd simply be connected with a 169.254.x.x IP

Now if you don't mean "disconnected" but you mean "I loose internet access even though my WiFi still says connected" that might be a different matter.

Ah, the last part is what i meant. Forgot to edit it to be more precise, but yeah, thats what is happening. For example, I will be on my iPod Touch and everything will be fine, then suddenly ill lose access, i cant load webpages, access internet on apps, etc., but the wifi symbol will still show, meaning it has not lost connection with the signal, it just cannot access the internet. Also, today on my hard-wired (Ethernet CAT5E) pc, for a minute or two, it was still showing i was connected to the network, but i could not load pages or videos, etc. My Xbox 360 also couldnt access the web, but was still showing to be connected to the wifi signal. Eventually after a few minutes, everything was fine again.

I would download like a network tool app on the ipod that can ping stuff. Then when the connection drops see if you can ping the router or another device on the network. Is it just that your internet stops working or all traffic stops working, even internally?

Also what fixes it? A reboot of something? Disconnecting and reconnecting? or it fixes itself?

Last edited:
I would download like a network tool app on the ipod that can ping stuff. Then when the connection drops see if you can ping the router or another device on the network. Is it just that your internet stops working or all traffic stops working, even internally?

Also what fixes it? A reboot of something? Disconnecting and reconnecting? or it fixes itself?

Ok i downloaded "ip6config" on my iPod, that should be able to ping IP's. I dont think i would even have to ping something in the LAN, because if i have no internet access, it wont be able to ping anything, right. I believe it is that all traffic just stops flowing, because sometimes when i am downloading stuff on my ipod, i will check back later and it will say download error, and i can see it had stopped downloading like halfway or earlier or later, but never fully downloaded, so that means the internet access had to have fell and stopped allowing data to flow. Usually, after a couple minutes, it just fixes itself, i haven't tried anything else.

Being able to ping something on the LAN while not being able to get onto the internet would suggest it's an issue with the internet connection. Not being able to ping anything on the LAN would suggest it's an issue with the router/AP. It helps to narrow down the actual issue. It's basic troubleshooting that gives more information that you think it does. If the problem is between point A and B then looking at B to C is not going to help, and vice versa.

Back