• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DFX and SRS

threedd97

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
492
What is everyone's opinions on these? SRS seems to liven the bass and tighten it while DFX opens up the overall sound. I don't use any equalizers other than DFX and SRS is mostly for the enhanced bass.
 
I would suggest resampling to 48k and use Kernel streaming as the output method. ;)
 
Mister X said:
I would suggest resampling to 48k and use Kernel streaming as the output method. ;)

definitely Kernel Streaming! I used to use DFX on Winamp (a longggggg time ago), and switched to MAD/ASIO and it was so much better without all the different processings by DFX, and then finally KS.
 
FanZ said:
definitely Kernel Streaming! I used to use DFX on Winamp (a longggggg time ago), and switched to MAD/ASIO and it was so much better without all the different processings by DFX, and then finally KS.

Well ASIO and KS is basically the same isn't it...? I do not think there would be a difference switching between the two...
 
Moofasa~ said:
Well ASIO and KS is basically the same isn't it...?

Yea, pretty much


What's your "sucky source"?

Doesn't matter cause either one of the sources he has in his sig will benefit from resampling to 48k and kernel streaming.
 
My onboard audio doesn't support it I don't think as I don't see it available in foobar.
 
this foobar2000 application is interesting... what improvements does kernel streaming have over directsound if im just listening to music with headphones
 
what improvements does kernel streaming have over directsound if im just listening to music with headphones

The primary advantage is you will no longer need to use the wave slider on your mixer to control the volume.
If you have ever had the volume turned up to loud and had your ears blasted by a new message notification on AIM you will know why that is important. :p
 
The foobar volume control is located on the playback preferences page but you got to activate the DSP first.
the windows master volume slider also works. ;)
 
I looked into the output settings already, and it was not in there. I installed the full (special) version of foobar last week so I know it's included, I just don't think my soundcard supports it.
 
Got it. The special version SAYS it is included, but it isn't. I downloaded the normal version and it was there.
 
Mmmmm... much cleared and detailed.

Was playing some Kenny Wayne Shepherd and I could HEAR the drumstick cutting through the air.
 
Do you have dithering and strong ATH noise shaping enabled on the playback page in the preferences?
 
BTW, don't you just love me? All my threads are boosting post counts through the roof!
 
I scoured that site a bit, but had trouble finding what I needed about it all. Just kind of went over my head.

Spamming...? How dare you! :eek:
 
lol....
santa2.gif


Have you tried the Crossfeed dsp yet?
It's a pretty cool effect for fixing the blobs in your head effect you get with some recording when using headphones.

There is also a pretty cool dolby headphone plugin for foobar but you need to have the dll file on your system to make it work.
 
Merry Christmas right back at you. Can I be directed to a better 1/8" adapter than the factory one that came with the HD595's? It sucks, it's loose and has to be wiggled sometimes to get proper contact.
 
1) KS and ASIO are the same thing. ASIO is a UI wrapper to allow for KS access for programs. Go read Steinberg's explanation for ASIO for further details. Microsoft's Developer's site has info on KS and they site ASIO as an example of Kernal Sreaming.

2) DirectSound with Hardware mixing enabled and KS also achieve the same thing. So if you don't have ASIO or KS support, you can use DS, if you have hw accelleration.

3) KS isn't installed by default. You need to check the Output plugins and make sure it's checked to install. I know it's there since either myself or Case made the installer. :)

4) Dithering should only be used if you are using 16bit output or less. At 24bit and 32bit, it does NOTHING except eat CPU cycles. If your card supports it, use 24/32bit output, as it allows for better resolution for decoded compressed output. (Compressed audio is a mathematic model of a PCM wave, and has no bitrange. It is, however, limited in dynamic range of the source material. The bit data is only there as reference. This is why FB2K recommends using higher bit output. If using lossless, then use whatever you want. :) )

OK, back on topic: For the Audigys and onboard audio, they are AC97 cards and benefit from resampling the audio to 48KHz (or 96KHz for Audigys. 24/96 is a native mode for the Audigy line). PPHS is the best for lowest cpu hit. SSRC for highest quality, but double the cpu hit. PPHS is about 95% as good as SSRC, so I recommend that one.

The Audigys can be set to 24 or 32bit output. Onboard should be set to 16, and enable dithering.
 
Moofasa~ said:
Well ASIO and KS is basically the same isn't it...? I do not think there would be a difference switching between the two...

I never said it wasnt the same, they both bypass the windows mixer and I couldnt tell any difference between the two. I was just outlining my software 'upgrade' path, since at that time, it was before I discovered the simple interface of foobar! ;)
 
Chastity said:
1) KS and ASIO are the same thing. ASIO is a UI wrapper to allow for KS access for programs. Go read Steinberg's explanation for ASIO for further details. Microsoft's Developer's site has info on KS and they site ASIO as an example of Kernal Sreaming.

2) DirectSound with Hardware mixing enabled and KS also achieve the same thing. So if you don't have ASIO or KS support, you can use DS, if you have hw accelleration.

3) KS isn't installed by default. You need to check the Output plugins and make sure it's checked to install. I know it's there since either myself or Case made the installer. :)

4) Dithering should only be used if you are using 16bit output or less. At 24bit and 32bit, it does NOTHING except eat CPU cycles. If your card supports it, use 24/32bit output, as it allows for better resolution for decoded compressed output. (Compressed audio is a mathematic model of a PCM wave, and has no bitrange. It is, however, limited in dynamic range of the source material. The bit data is only there as reference. This is why FB2K recommends using higher bit output. If using lossless, then use whatever you want. :) )

OK, back on topic: For the Audigys and onboard audio, they are AC97 cards and benefit from resampling the audio to 48KHz (or 96KHz for Audigys. 24/96 is a native mode for the Audigy line). PPHS is the best for lowest cpu hit. SSRC for highest quality, but double the cpu hit. PPHS is about 95% as good as SSRC, so I recommend that one.

The Audigys can be set to 24 or 32bit output. Onboard should be set to 16, and enable dithering.

Thanks for the detailed info on all of this.
 
Back
Top