DFI RS482 Infinity in stock (US)

Have any of you tried diff ram slots? like both blues instead of both blacks?

Since I only hear crickets in my thread over at DFI-Street I'll also post here:

I'm getting around to finishing up the 2 pc's that I've built with this board. I've upgraded to the 321 BIOS. Both are basic workstation pc's with 3700+'s. One is all stock and the other is overclocked to 2.4ghz.

I can't seem to get any sound out of either board. I've tried the back panel and front panel of the case off the internal header, verified my headphones work, and tried both drivers from CD as well as the latest ones from DFI site. There seems to be only one sound related setting in the BIOS and it's set at 'auto' (options are disabled or auto).

I do see the Realtek AC97 in the control panel in Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel, and have verified nothing is muted.

Any ideas? Is the little Realtek 'crab' icon supposed to be in the tray like other mobo's I've installed (I don't have one)?

I just remembered that the reboots started to occur after I pulled my keyboard's usb connector out of the computer while it was on, and caused it to reboot. And i think i read something in the manual about damaging the motherboard this way. Is it possible that me pulling the keyboard's connector out of the computer while its on could cause this random restart problem?
Also, I had just overclocked the computer to 2.4 and it ran prime95 for 14 hours no errors. So i stopped it and proceeded to post on the forums that i fixed my problems, and mid post, my computer restarted and i almost cried. Why would it be stable when it's running prime95 for 14 hours and then reboot when i turn it off and post on here?

Had similar problem when I first installed the driver. The way I fixed it was to uninstall all the driver and installed the driver that comes with the OS (not the install disk or from Realtek website). Go to Device Driver --> click on the unstalled unknow device -> update driver -> .... Do not search ... I will choose the driver to install --> select Reltek AC'97 Audio , NEXT . You are done.

[LYL]Homer said:
Since I only hear crickets in my thread over at DFI-Street I'll also post here:

From dfi-street.com, some DFI mb has problem with certain KBs which then caused random reboot. RS482 was not mentioned as one of the MBs that have this problem.

According the the DFI resident expert there, the way to fix it is to move the jumper to 5v stand-by (for the KB).

I think, my problem with push-Power-to-turn-off-but-reboot-instead and you guys' random reboots (without blue screen) are related.

taco1435 said:
I just remembered that the reboots started to occur after I pulled my keyboard's usb connector out of the computer while it was on, and caused it to reboot. And i think i read something in the manual about damaging the motherboard this way. Is it possible that me pulling the keyboard's connector out of the computer while its on could cause this random restart problem?
Also, I had just overclocked the computer to 2.4 and it ran prime95 for 14 hours no errors. So i stopped it and proceeded to post on the forums that i fixed my problems, and mid post, my computer restarted and i almost cried. Why would it be stable when it's running prime95 for 14 hours and then reboot when i turn it off and post on here?

buzzly said:
From dfi-street.com, some DFI mb has problem with certain KBs which then caused random reboot. RS482 was not mentioned as one of the MBs that have this problem.

According the the DFI resident expert there, the way to fix it is to move the jumper to 5v stand-by (for the KB).

I think, my problem with push-Power-to-turn-off-but-reboot-instead and you guys' random reboots (without blue screen) are related.
move what jumper to where? Can you give me a link to some instructions or something?

My problem is fixed! Re-flashed to the OFFICIAL 3/21 BIOS instead of the BETA 4/2 BIOS and now no restarts! Sitting with a nice 2.4ghz OC too!

2.4 should be 270 FSB... Very nice.

I'm going back to my Opty 146 and need a OC Matx... what u think Dillusion? This, Biostar or the Epox... and don't make me your guinea pig!!! :p

Dillusion how long have u been running it? Because i ran mine for 13 hours prime95 oced to 2.4 and then when i went to post my success it rebooted and i cried.
And I'm alrdy on that bios and i still have the problem.

I really don't know if this is the solution. I am just repeating what I've read. The jumper is on the upper left hand concer, right behind the KB and Mouse connector. Connecting 2-3 pin on the JP7 jumper would allow wake-on-ps/2 kb/mouse. See user manual pg 43.

taco1435 said:
move what jumper to where? Can you give me a link to some instructions or something?

Taco, it is probably your memory. Does not sound like a cpu issue. Run Super Pi and see if 32m completes.

Not necesarily. I've booted up to windows many times and as soon as super ran a bit... reset.

Run Super PI 32m... it takes bout half hour.

Prime = cpu
Super for mem.

I was having the random reboot problems to, as was ubermouser. We both had enermax liberty 500w, so I thought maybe that was the culprit. I have since then removed my liberty and used the stock aspire PSU and I've been reboot free for 3 days.

but why would my psu work fine with my t-force board and not work with my rs482 board? I mean I've never heard of psu and motherboard incompatibility. What could be incompatible? I also have enermax liberty 500w :(

It happens.

DFI is very picky too. Certain ram modules give problems on the Lanparty's.

Another example, don't know if this is 100%, is teh MATX pox 939. The G.Skill HZ usually reach 270 FSB but on the Epox this guy could barely reach 250fsb (a module he used on various boards and onlythis one wouldn't reach).

I also red some board had issues with the Liberty...i guess it might be this one...

Hey blue... I would find a psu fast to replace that junky thing. I bought 2 Qpacks and quickly take them things out.

shit well this sux, i mean the psu is worth more than the god damn motherboard haha.

i reallu hope there isnt an issue between the liberty and this board because i have the same configuration too. I havent really used it heavily at all since its taking me a bit of time to migrate all my stuff from my old comp. so far the only times ive noticed it rebooting was during prime95 at 270+fsb. I thought that it was just the case since it get to be 56c under load. so is prime supposed to stop itself before and preventing the comp from rebooting? or is this another case of random reboots that everyone else is getting?

I dunno my reboots happen at totally random times. It'll happen when I boot up to play Oblivion, or it'll happen when I'm just typing on the internet. It actually doesn't reboot during prime95 that often...

MC FLMJIG said:
2.4 should be 270 FSB... Very nice.

I'm going back to my Opty 146 and need a OC Matx... what u think Dillusion? This, Biostar or the Epox... and don't make me your guinea pig!!! :p

lol, i just repeat what other users record, sorry about that one ;) Biostar/DFi are pretty much the only guaranteed top OCers right now. the epox is also a nice board, but I cant give it TOO much praise this time, cause i havent owned it ;)

taco1435 said:
Dillusion how long have u been running it? Because i ran mine for 13 hours prime95 oced to 2.4 and then when i went to post my success it rebooted and i cried.
And I'm alrdy on that bios and i still have the problem.

I placed the OC at about 1:00 this afternoon, its 10:18PM right now and it hasnt frozen or restarted all day, i was even playing BF2 for 2 hours and it ran it fine.

Nice.

I owned the Bio and was very curious about the DFi.. however. I saw the Presler 930 @ 219 and figured... let's get an RMA and give the Abit another shot!

I hope it gets nowhere near as hot as the 805... I shall keep the DFI in mind though!!!

I placed the OC at about 1:00 this afternoon, its 10:18PM right now and it hasnt frozen or restarted all day, i was even playing BF2 for 2 hours and it ran it fine.[/QUOTE]

Well I hope yours doesn't CRUSH your hopes and restart as your posting your success on hardforum *tear* :(

I think I'll try this 32m digits of pi thing and post my results here, reccomended by MC FLMJIG. Is it alright to run this on the second processor, seeing as that this is to test memory and not cpu stability?
If this doesnt work, I may as well switch this keyboard jumper as well, as said by buzzly. I never use keyboard wakeup anyways.
I tried switching to the stock Aspire PSU just like TheBlueChannell, but could not get the computer to post. I believe the X1900xtx draws far too much power..

The same thing that happened to taco1435 happens to me as well. The thing would easily prime95 for 24 hours, yet a few minutes later when I would try opening a word document, the computer would reboot. Reboots occur much more often at higher voltages than at lower voltages, regardless of overclock (I dont think I've actually ever crashed due to instability :eek: ). And of course I'll get back to you by tomorrow, as this irks me to no end.

ubermouse what psu are you using? im using enermax liberty 500w
pm me if you find a fix or anything helpfull :)

buzzly said:
Had similar problem when I first installed the driver. The way I fixed it was to uninstall all the driver and installed the driver that comes with the OS (not the install disk or from Realtek website). Go to Device Driver --> click on the unstalled unknow device -> update driver -> .... Do not search ... I will choose the driver to install --> select Reltek AC'97 Audio , NEXT . You are done.

Thanks! That did the trick.

taco1435 said:
ubermouse what psu are you using? im using enermax liberty 500w
pm me if you find a fix or anything helpfull :)

I replaced my Enermax 500 watt with an Enermax 620 watt, to no avail - same problems. However, crashing at stock voltage has all but dissapeared.
SuperPI at ddr400 and ddr500 passed at 36 minutes and 32 minutes, respectively, with no other overclocks and stock voltages. I will now attempt to change this jumper cable for the keyboard and try to get the computer to reboot.
(1.525 volts, 245fsb, OCed GPU @ 1.5 volts)

The keyboard I am using is called the Microsoft Natural multimedia Keyboard 1.0A, and is connected to the purple (or green, whatever) keyboard jack on the motherboard. The keyboard draws 100mA at 5 volts.

These are the jacks that I plan on switching:
2104535492_ps2jacks.jpg

(YOU SHOULD ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR PSU SUPPORTS MORE THAN 2 AMPS ON THE 5VSB CHANNEL!)

Just so you all know and aren't concerned. If there isn't a fix for this Liberty/rs482, I will be selling my Liberty on the Forums and getting a 2nd NeoHE.

Ubermouser said:
I replaced my Enermax 500 watt with an Enermax 620 watt, to no avail - same problems. However, crashing at stock voltage has all but dissapeared.
SuperPI at ddr400 and ddr500 passed at 36 minutes and 32 minutes, respectively, with no other overclocks and stock voltages. I will now attempt to change this jumper cable for the keyboard and try to get the computer to reboot.
(1.525 volts, 245fsb, OCed GPU @ 1.5 volts)

The keyboard I am using is called the Microsoft Natural multimedia Keyboard 1.0A, and is connected to the purple (or green, whatever) keyboard jack on the motherboard. The keyboard draws 100mA at 5 volts.

These are the jacks that I plan on switching:
2104535492_ps2jacks.jpg

(YOU SHOULD ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR PSU SUPPORTS MORE THAN 2 AMPS ON THE 5VSB CHANNEL!)

PLEASE let me know if this works. My 500w liberty can do this right?

The so-called fix is for stopping rebooting when Power button was pressed. The ONLY jumper needed to change is the one behind the KB/Mouse (to 5vsb). I don't know what the other jumpers would do.

buzzly said:
The so-called fix is for stopping rebooting when Power button was pressed. The ONLY jumper needed to change is the one behind the KB/Mouse (to 5vsb). I don't know what the other jumpers would do.

I am pretty desparate for a fix so I admit it doesnt even make sense to me, and for good reason. This wont stop my rebooting problems :(

Question 1) ...is everyone having these problems...? 2) ...Are these re-boots happening at stock speeds...? 3) ...If the re-boots are only happening on OC'ed systems...is it all OC'ed systems or just the ones pushing it to the upper limit...and not on mild overclocks...? 4) ...Is this happening on only the machines with Enermax PSU's...? 5) ...Is it on machines OC'ing using a memory divider not 1:1...? 6) ...Could memory be the culprit...?

I'm going to start a Poll thread so we can start to measure the variables...

thespymaster said:
Question 1) ...is everyone having these problems...? 2) ...Are these re-boots happening at stock speeds...? 3) ...If the re-boots are only happening on OC'ed systems...is it all OC'ed systems or just the ones pushing it to the upper limit...and not on mild overclocks...? 4) ...Is this happening on only the machines with Enermax PSU's...? 5) ...Is it on machines OC'ing using a memory divider not 1:1...? 6) ...Could memory be the culprit...?

1) not sure
2) Yes, but much more often when the voltage is increased. Overclock doesnt matter.
3) Like I said, Overclock doesnt matter, only voltage
4) Enermax 620 watt psu and Enermax 500 watt psu tested. Neither fixes problem
5) 1:1 divider + 4:5 divider.
6) no.

Edit* whoops, perhaps I should have read the bottom of your post
:mad:

Its Jsut Fucking Restarted Again. Fuck Dfi, Fuck Ati, Fuck This Shit. Im Buying A Biostar. Fuck.

hahah i told ya dillusion. That's exactly what happened to me. I was just as pissed.
Well if i rma this and get a biostar, they fixed the nic problem right?

thespymaster said:

1. dunno
2. Sometimes, but I don't think its restarted while optimized defaults are loaded. Only when ive manually set it to stock speeds, and i haven't been able to figure out what im doing to make it restart.
3. It happens WAY more often when its OCed regardless of the speeds. Ive ran it at 2.2 on my opteron 165 which is a walk in the park and it reboots within like 10 minutes.
4. I have an liberty 500w...
5. Divider doesnt seem to help, or make it worse. Ive ran it on every divider.
6. I think maybe, I'm testing that out right now, but if i dont figure it out within the next few days, im rmaing and getting a biostar.
edit: lol didnt read bottom either

taco1435 said:
1. dunno
2. Sometimes, but I don't think its restarted while optimized defaults are loaded. Only when ive manually set it to stock speeds, and i haven't been able to figure out what im doing to make it restart.
3. It happens WAY more often when its OCed regardless of the speeds. Ive ran it at 2.2 on my opteron 165 which is a walk in the park and it reboots within like 10 minutes.
4. I have an liberty 500w...
5. Divider doesnt seem to help, or make it worse. Ive ran it on every divider.
6. I think maybe, I'm testing that out right now, but if i dont figure it out within the next few days, im rmaing and getting a biostar.
edit: lol didnt read bottom either

I still think it's the combination of Liberty + this board. Pretty sure some DFI boards are picky with PSU's (I kinda remember something with Ultra D's and Seasonic SLI's). Has anyone bothered talking to DFI support?

Dark79 said:
I still think it's the combination of Liberty + this board. Pretty sure some DFI boards are picky with PSU's (I kinda remember something with Ultra D's and Seasonic SLI's). Has anyone bothered talking to DFI support?

I agree. Like I said, I've been running the Stock Aspire PSU for 4-5 days now w/ out any reboots. I ordered my NeoHE tonight, and I'll test that when it gets here. I plan on overclocking no matter what.

TheBlueChanell said:
I agree. Like I said, I've been running the Stock Aspire PSU for 4-5 days now w/ out any reboots. I ordered my NeoHE tonight, and I'll test that when it gets here. I plan on overclocking no matter what.
are you OCed with the aspire psu? Because mine runs fine with the 500w Liberty at stock.

TheBlueChanell said:

Yeah, I have 2 of these boards with 2 different (non Liberty) PSU's with no problem. Both are overclocked (one at 265FSB the other at 280FSB). Not to say people don't get bad boards, but when 2 different people with the same PSU have the same problem (which has occurred with other DFI boards) I think its time to check a little more throughroughly before calling foul.

Back