DFI nForce2 Hot Spots...

jwill

2[H]4U
this was done by bork and Dropline over at the amdmb.com forums...
http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2652303#post2652303

a big thanks to them. im posting here to help anyone out who wants to know where to put them sinks on thier boards...

dfi-255-mhz-rilevamenti-temp.gif

HotSp2.jpg

hey jwill ;D kudos to a nice thread

I remember these hotspots, and they sure as hell do get hot... I've sinked all of mine but with smaller heatsinks :(
No telling if there are any gains yet, the Infinity is a side project for now... New job = no time :(

How much lower does the temps get ??? I can see it working when the heatsinks are a little bigger and a fan would help a lot, but these mosfet heatsinks are so tiny how would they even work? My mosfets can fry egg's and I'd like some feed back on this. thanks

i had this (admitably crazy) idea of mosfet cooling. as the bottom of them is where most of the heat is, would it be possible to buy another identicle chip (or desauter the original) and mount it upside-down, and then put either a big hs or waterblock on it? i saw someone do this with their powersupply once.

if there is something fundamentally wrong here, please someone tell me, as i was considering doing this on my next mobo :cool:

(yea i know my spelling sucks)

My nForce2 southbridge gets really toasty, whereas my MOSFETS are all relatively cool to the touch. I needed a heatsink on the southbridge, because it was so hot, especially when playing music. I consider it active cooling because my VGA Silencer's backfiring action puts air right onto that heatsink.

http://ww2.teamdr.net/korruption/images/comp/southbridge.jpg
(excuse the missing AGP card... it was in for RMA)

yes, nforce2 southbridges are known to get hot because of the audio. Many people have had audio corruption until they put a heatsink on it too.

Le_Petit_Lapin said:
All motherboards have a PLL chip. As far as I remember its what controls your FSB, AGP and PCI settings.

On Nforce 2 mainboards the PLL is part of the northbridge itself rather than a seperate IC.

cloaked said:
i had this (admitably crazy) idea of mosfet cooling. as the bottom of them is where most of the heat is, would it be possible to buy another identicle chip (or desauter the original) and mount it upside-down, and then put either a big hs or waterblock on it? i saw someone do this with their powersupply once.

if there is something fundamentally wrong here, please someone tell me, as i was considering doing this on my next mobo :cool:

(yea i know my spelling sucks)

Many transistors are grounded through the tab on the bottom of them, so it may need to be in contact with a ground. However, I don't know if the mosfets in question are like this. If not, you could cool the backs of them. If so, it may not work so easily.

i was under the impression one of the 3 pins on them was for ground :confused:
btw someone who put a waterblock on the back of his mobo right by the mosfets got much better voltage stability (and better than the same thing on the front).

Back