DFI NF4 Lanparty SLI-DR Expert

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just mounted a Zalman northbridge cooler and found my 7300LE doesn't fit in the 1st PCI-E 16x slot anymore.

Incidentally I put it in the 2nd PCI-E slot. So my question is what speed is the second slot operating at when I put a video card there?

I've looked around and DFI seems to say it will be at 2x when the first slot is populated with a video card, but in this scenario the situations a little different.

My second question is if the 2nd slot ends up being 2x speed, will this affect my 2d performance in Windows a high resolutions? (1680x1050 and up?)

Thanks

I think our boards are similar enough to give you this advice, but you better check your manual to be sure.

The Primary slot in my board was having intermittent issues with not detecting the videocard, so I moved it to the second PCI-e slot. In order to avoid the 16x for slot 1 and 2x (or was it 1x) for Slot 2, I had to reposition the GINORMOUS bundle of jumper blocks from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3, this changed the PCI-E slots to be 8x each.

Double check the manual for your particular model, I'm pretty sure it's the same.

Or... you can get yourself an Evercool VC-RE video card cooler and mount that on your northbridge.... it sits at the same height as the stock DFI NB cooler, but is all copper, and has 1 red and 1 blue LED... also push pin hole compatible.

Ummm... just realized you have a "native" SLI board. Double check your Manual or download one if you don't have it... your slots may already be set for 8x/8x

Thanks for the response ppl.

Actually I did some more digging after I posted my post and found CPU-Z detected my second PCI-E slot as 2x.

Actually I know how to force 8x 8x for the two 16x PCI-E slots, however I was experiencing crashes with DivX video when there is high disk activity.

I have since flashed my bios to the most recent and it seems the crashing as gone away!

So newest bios was the solution :) o and the answer to my original question is even without a video card in the 1st 16x PCI-E slot, the second 16x PCI-E slot is running at 2x speeds!

Back