• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DFI Horrors

Good idea to update the BIOS. Newest one is Nov05, the FX-60 one.

I don't have an Opteron, so just take my advice with grain of salt; I don't know what the voltage requirements are, I have an A64 3200+ @ 2.5Ghz.

Set CPC to disable (2T)

CPU startup vid 1.4

CPU VID 1.4

Special VID 104%

Have your RAM Timings at default, and set them manually in BIOS. Get a stable system before you start overclocking.

See if the above helps. Report back.
 
I would recommend trying some different ram first. That is usually the culprit even if you are not getting errors. I had this same problem with my Ballistix (before I got my OCZ EB's). Try to find 2 sticks of ram from somewhere else and see if you can get it working.

Cooter

PS also flash the latest BIOS.
 
Just out of curiousity, are you running a legitimate copy of Windows XP? A copy you've bought and paid for.
 
don't wanna rain on your parade, but I wouldn't trust just 5 passes. 5 passes of which test? #5...#8? Those appear to be the most stressful on your ram according to people at XS. I've had ram that was clocked too high or had timings too tight that would do 5 passes w/o error...let them run for a couple hours and that's a different story. I'd run them at least 5 hours on Tests #5 and #8 before saying they're fine.

Did you try the ram from the other system in yours to see what happened? Could be a compatability problem with the memory and your board. I had a couple sticks of ram with Nanya chips that didn't like my DFI board...but ran fine in my Intel system.

If the ram works fine in another system and another set of ram works fine in your board, I'd say get new/different ram. Otherwise..RMA the board.
 
WOW...
This could be other reasons but recently my dvd drive has died and just yesterday my gfx card went out.Now this could be a bad set of hardware but come on 2 pieces of hardware fried in a weeks time. Now my drive was a plextor which is a quality drive and my gfx was an EVGA so its not liek they were cheap crappy hardware. Also its been running kinda hot lately and i know heat can cause problems but the chipset is always hot. Like at idle the chipset is at like 52-54 F when all the other readings (cpu, pwn ic ) are at like 34 and 32 F. All i can say is I most likely will never buy another dfi again.

What's you guys thoughts on this one becuase im about ready to rma this mobo and just stick with asus this is rediculouse.

Can a mother board fry stuff like that if its a bad mobo?
 
-Cryptic- said:
WOW...
This could be other reasons but recently my dvd drive has died and just yesterday my gfx card went out.Now this could be a bad set of hardware but come on 2 pieces of hardware fried in a weeks time. Now my drive was a plextor which is a quality drive and my gfx was an EVGA so its not liek they were cheap crappy hardware. Also its been running kinda hot lately and i know heat can cause problems but the chipset is always hot. Like at idle the chipset is at like 52-54 F when all the other readings (cpu, pwn ic ) are at like 34 and 32 F. All i can say is I most likely will never buy another dfi again.

What's you guys thoughts on this one becuase im about ready to rma this mobo and just stick with asus this is rediculouse.

Can a mother board fry stuff like that if its a bad mobo?

I've heard of a gpu being fried by the mobo, but not the DVD drive (wow, the only way it could do that is a short in the IDE header which which would mean your board is VERY faulty). How do you know the hardware is actually fried and it's not just more mobo problems? Have you tried the equipment in another computer?

Either way, don't blame your problem on DFI. If your board really did fry the DVD and GPU, you just got that one in a million board with faulty circuitry. If it didn't, it's probably the RAM.

Oh, and can you please try flashing to the latest BIOS? (use another video card if you need to.) When I got my DFI board, I had problem after problem with it (including one which you are describing - voltage not changing even though I set it in the BIOS) until I flashed the BIOS, at which point all problems went away.
 
Ive tested the ram in other computers and it works fine. As for the hardware yes its totally fried. The dvd drive has no power at all and the gfx will run but it makes wierd white colums in boot up in xp and then the screen goes black. Also when i first got my mobo the on board sound didnt work. I tried flashing the bios once and nothin happened so......

Lets hope my rma through EVGA is speedy lol is any RMA speedy lol

Any more thoughts on this mobo problem or hardware problem????
 
I think you should have read up more on your components and how to properly implement them. Either that or you have really bad luck.
 
I know how to biuld comps. I'm thinking bad luck. Also some my friends have had problems like this with ttheir dfi so idk but it was to the degreee of mine lol.
 
-Cryptic- said:
Has anyone else had issues like this??

Sorta. My NF4 SLi-DR setup has gone through 2 sets of Ballistix and now my G-Skills (HZ 4000 like you) just died. So I tried my 3rd set of Ballistix, but one slot is now dead -this makes me wonder if it was the board killing my memory. It was never 100% stable with the Ballistix.
So now I can't use dual-channel at all, as I get no BIOS screen using either of the yellow slots and never have, even with CPC disabled. My first board was DOA so I'm now ordering an Asus and RMA'ing this. I'll keep the DFi on standby when it comes back.
 
-Cryptic- said:
Has anyone else had issues like this??


My ballistix died a few weeks after building the system,
but it's been running like a champ for 6+ months now.
 
It could very well be the fact that your motherboard doesnt like your particular brand of ram, as dfi boards are known to be picky when it comes to RAM types, i would suggest what everyone else is saying, try a different make of ram and see if that helps.

GL
 
The Gskill PC4000 and DFI Ultra D is a very common setup. There is a thread on DFI-Street with all kinds of timings to use. Also check the HD for errors. Your having the same issues a friend of mine had but turned out to be his HD. Things burning up like that makes me think PSU.. I had one that killed two hard drives and a zip drive... not fun. There are some DFI techs on the DFI-street website that are glad to help. Also there customer support is top notch and you getting an RMA if needed wont be a big deal. Good luck! Also they have a list of PSU's to stay away from when running thier boards.
 
That memory is a VERY VERY common setup with that board just like the poster above suggested. I would go to DFI-Street and get thier list of timings. Its like 28 settings for the memory and I have mine at 510mhz right now and solid. I tried it at 510 with stock values mostly set to auto and no dice.. all kinds of issues... lock ups and reboots. But if your running the memory at DDR400 speeds then the stock settings should work. I would try a different power supply if possible. If your going to RMA the board I would talk with one of the techs on dfi-street or call them up. Real nice people.
 
Your problem must be your PSU. If the DVD drive was fried to the point that it won't even power up, that either means a problem with the PSU, or a physical short circuit somewhere on the mobo (meaning the board would have completely fried itself along with your DVD drive, and that didn't happen so...). The GPU being fried could also be releated to the PSU. I would try a different PSU, and NOT power up the PC again until you do, since an overvolting or shorting PSU (the only thing that could kill components suddenly) could fry something every time you turn it on.

Even if it's good quality, you could have just gotten that one in a million defect. I think that must be the problem though, since there's no way your mobo shorted out the DVD drive and still turns on.
 
yea i have that g.skill kit in my ultra-d modded (yellow slots) its running at 270mhz 2.7v now 3-4-4-8 everything else on auto. dont set it any higher than 2.7v. it should run with cpc enabled (1t) no problem at 200mhz. like the above poster says, you may have a high end psu but that doesnt guatantee that you have a high end psu that is working correctly. also, many of the problems you had in the beginning sounded like a hard drive prob. i have used the nvidia ide drivers since nf2 without a single prob. do not use any of the nvidia lan crap. only the drivers. also, make sure that all 4 power connections are connected to the board. what rev is your board (label on the bottom of the last pci slot)? i also have heard of many many people having perfect memtests and constant probs. when they swapped out their ram, it was fine.
 
I didn't do more than skim over the whole article, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.
OP said:
-DFI lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d (socket 939)
-(G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000)
-AMD opteron 165 dual core
-EVGA 7800gt
That's my setup almost exactly. I've got a BFG 7800GTX, and four sticks of the same memory. I also experienced issues with the audio on the motherboard. The jumpers were set correctly, it was firmly in place (Took it out and put it back in anyway), and it was enabled in the BIOS (4/6/6). I, too, had issues with stability and overclocking. Here's how I fixed it:

Reset the CMOS.

Yup, that's it. Using the "use default settings" option in the BIOS itself didn't do it. Swapping the jumper and back did. All of a sudden, I have audio, I can run stable at 300x9, and everything's cool and happy. Hopefully, your problem's as easy to fix as mine.

Now as to the hardware dying... Yikes!
 
TeeJayHoward said:
I didn't do more than skim over the whole article, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

That's my setup almost exactly. I've got a BFG 7800GTX, and four sticks of the same memory. I also experienced issues with the audio on the motherboard. The jumpers were set correctly, it was firmly in place (Took it out and put it back in anyway), and it was enabled in the BIOS (4/6/6). I, too, had issues with stability and overclocking. Here's how I fixed it:

Reset the CMOS.

Yup, that's it. Using the "use default settings" option in the BIOS itself didn't do it. Swapping the jumper and back did. All of a sudden, I have audio, I can run stable at 300x9, and everything's cool and happy. Hopefully, your problem's as easy to fix as mine.

Now as to the hardware dying... Yikes!

Ive read that also.. do a bios flash then reset your cmos jumper to clear it... then go into BIOS and set optimized defaults. Come to think of it I had to do that when I first got mine. It wouldnt even post after the bios update. These boards can be picky but in the end they are well worth it.
 
Still, if his DVD drive shorted out, he has a PSU problem (or at least nothing that a BIOS flash will fix!)

Unless, of course, the two problems are unrelated. In either case, you should still do a BIOS flash and use the CMOS jumper after replacing that hardware.
 
HOCP4ME said:
Still, if his DVD drive shorted out, he has a PSU problem (or at least nothing that a BIOS flash will fix!)

Unless, of course, the two problems are unrelated. In either case, you should still do a BIOS flash and use the CMOS jumper after replacing that hardware.


I killed a DVD drive by not having the IDE cable plugged in all the way. There is more then just a PSU that can kill a drive. I agree the PSU is a good place to start.
 
Copyright said:
I killed a DVD drive by not having the IDE cable plugged in all the way. There is more then just a PSU that can kill a drive. I agree the PSU is a good place to start.

Well, when I said it must be a PSU problem, I was assuming it wasn't user error. There are plenty of things you could do to short out a drive.

If it was connected properly, however, the only ways the DVD drive could have shorted out are:

1. Faulty drive (possible)
2. Faulty PSU (probably, since the vid card went too)
3. Faulty IDE header on mobo (probably not, since if this was the case, I would have expected the whole board to short out with it)
 
Back
Top