Devils Canyon will only paper launch on June 2?

Is it me or this chip is overhyped? Besides already being overclocked from factory - compared to the 4770k, and being 10% faster because of the overclock, why would you buy this over a 4770k that costs $260 are microcenter for example.

Is it me or this chip is overhyped? Besides already being overclocked from factory - compared to the 4770k, and being 10% faster because of the overclock, why would you buy this over a 4770k that costs $260 are microcenter for example.

I'm thinking the same. What would the advantage to a 4770k with a good OC board (especially with one review saying that it runs 10 degrees hotter)???

I'm on a 2600k and I'm still not sure if I will "upgrade".

Last edited:

Devil's Canyon is $280 at MicroCenter. Who would buy a 4770K?

Well newegg's price had dropped by 10 dollars so I had to cancel my preorder and order it again. I was thinking that preorder prices were a set price till launch.

Edit: It looks like they would have honored the price change, but I have my new order up anyway. Eh, whatever...

Last edited:
Devil's Canyon is $280 at MicroCenter. Who would buy a 4770K?
I see, I just checked their pricing. But again, the pricing will likely dip to $200 for the 4770k in MC like the time around the holidays, so the question still stands, why is this chip so hyped up? To me it seems like this is what Haswell should have been from the beginning.

that's right!

PGHammer's "Bridgewalker" is still under construction and that's 2007 technology. The 4670K proposal has been fast tracked though and might get approval prior to 2020...

You called it correctly, sir.

A lot of folks (even at [H]) went into stall mode when the Great Recession happened - where upgrades have been happening for us are at the margins; GPUs, audio, speakers, HDDs, the odd SSD - not CPUs or motherboards all that much (unless we get really killer deals).

As it is, I'm now down to JUST the CPU and motherboard left, as - other than replacing the HDD with an SSD, and even that would merely bump the HDD to a non-boot drive - I will have upgraded everything from when "Bridgewalker" went on the drawing board.

I've upgraded the operating systems I run on a daily basis - which folks that have "Bridgewalker"-type hardware from when it got designed have not done - which thoroughly trainwrecks the very theory that a modern OS demands the most up-to-date hardware. Three modern (in fact current) operating systems are on my current setup - which is comprised entirely of EOL hardware; what current hardware will do is more in terms of increased performance for the most part. (I would gain a grand total of one new feature - better virtualization support.) That single improvement is, in fact, an "outlier" feature; I know it, and I refuse to blow smoke and say that it's important to anyone else.

I'm not saying that niche users won't care - if anything, I'm saying the opposite. However, mainstream users will care less. (How many mainstream users give two rubles about virtualization?)

Back