Devils Canyon will only paper launch on June 2?

Seen the same on Guru3D. I hope it's a bad rumor. Otherwise, it's a huge blow to Intel and mobo makers. Who will buy Z97 boards, if there are no proper chips to run them. Who will buy Devil Canyon, when you have Broadwell coming in early 2015.

I really hope that's bad joke. And if not, then my Z68 will serve me like a year more, and money for upgrade CPU/Mobo will be used to buy new 21:9 monitor :)

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_devil’s_canyon_delayed_to_late_september_2014.html

If broadwell is similar to haswell, the minor improvements won't make up for the increased clockspeed on DC for those of us unwilling to delid. the extra $50 on the pricetag won't be enough to seriously deter anyone who's looking for top of the line non-server part performance.

This would still be seriously irritating if it's true - is intel really that strapped for 22 nm fab capacity?

Thats gotta be a bad rumor. If the non-K chips are out now, I dont see why theyd wait 4 more months to drop the K chips unless theyre trying to clean off the shelves of the 4770K and 4650K's still out there hanging around.

They have always released the ks and non ks at the same time. That alone is odd. We will find out real soon if this is true.

I hope it's not true because I have money that needs to turn into an awesome gaming rig real soon!

Given the sharply elevated base clock speed on the i7- 4790K, perhaps some time is needed to produce enough of the near golden dies required for these chips.

The i5-4690K and Pentium G3258 should be no issue to produce in quantity, but maybe they just want to launch all of them at once when the i7-4790K is ready.

The hypothesis of clearing out old stock has some possibility as well...maybe a little of both...;)

Seen the same on Guru3D. I hope it's a bad rumor. Otherwise, it's a huge blow to Intel and mobo makers. Who will buy Z97 boards, if there are no proper chips to run them. Who will buy Devil Canyon, when you have Broadwell coming in early 2015.

I really hope that's bad joke. And if not, then my Z68 will serve me like a year more, and money for upgrade CPU/Mobo will be used to buy new 21:9 monitor :)

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_devil’s_canyon_delayed_to_late_september_2014.html

Z97 can be used with Haswell - like Z77 could be used with Sandy Bridge.
M.2 SATA Express drives (not just SSDs) are out now.
Unless Devil's Canyon is a marked improvement over Haswell (on the CPU side), Devil's Canyon, compared to Haswell, could be worth less than Ivy Bridge was compared to Sandy Bridge.

We don't know if Broadwell will support Z97 - it could easily require a new chipset. (Remember, Haswell required new chipsets - it didn't support Z77.)

Lastly, the delay in Devil's Canyon could easily be caused by Intel having too much Haswell (and Haswell Refresh) inventory - how have Haswell (and Haswell Refresh) CPU sales been? (That is largely a rhetorical question - stock in Intel (INTC) took a whacking in May over still-slow CPU sales to OEMs and the boxed-retail channels.) Note that this is despite Haswell largely having pricing unchanged from, believe it or not, Sandy Bridge.

Meh. DC is nothing special. HW-E and Broadwell are the next exciting releases.

And how will either be exciting, if few non-niche applications OR games will take advantage of it?

Yes - I am specifically referring to ALL the above (Broadwell, Devil's Canyon, and Haswell-E).

The mainstream user is, unfortunately, quite well served by (believe it or not) Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge to a large extent - the only exception is in portable hardware (notebooks, higher-end laptops, tablets, etc.), and that is despite both being killed by Haswell.

As it is, the only reason Kentsfield (Q6600) is in hot water for me personally is a chipset issue, not a CPU-capability issue. (Specifically, the issue is the lack of DDR3 support in my particular version of the G41 chipset.) No - Q6600 doesn't support Extended Processor Tables; however, even that is not as critical as increased memory capacity is.

What the advantage of Haswell Refresh means to me is that pricing for Z87 motherboards has been cut - to clear inventory for Z97 redesigns. I have - literally - exactly zero use for any feature unique to Haswell Refresh, let alone Devil's Canyon OR Broadwell; unfortunately, except for niche usages, the same is almost certainly true of the vast majority of computer users. My one "outlier" usage is virtualization - which Kentsfield (again, except for the memory capacity problem, and that is a chipset issue) satisfies to an extent. And I'm quite aware that most mainstream users use far LESS of even capabilities that became ubiquitous with just Conroe/Kentsfield - let alone anything later.

Basically, upgrading has gotten cheaper - and that is ALL that it means for now.

While that's certainly true for the average user, I think that the general assuming is that posters here are not average. Also, it isn't even remotely difficult to use faster clocks, higher IPCs, and >3Gb/s SATA (the primary differences that we're interested in between between a 4790K and a Q6600 ).

Did you mean to post this somewhere else, or were you just assuming that everyone on this board is exactly like you?

Non-k are out but a review of the refresh from madshrimp said this:

"During our testing we did not spot any ultra cool running processors alike with the Sandy Bridge generation, thus no TIM changes have been applied to this Haswell refresh."

So maybe Intel is having issues with the TIM and thus the delay?

Unless you need to build now or in a few months many will probably just hold out for Broadwell.

I can go over 100C on Intel burn on my I5 but that's not real world. I top out at 55C while gaming and that's the most stress I give it, using stock sink.

It's pretty hard to max all 4 cores at 100% for a long period of time with normal activities.

Non-k are out but a review of the refresh from madshrimp said this:

"During our testing we did not spot any ultra cool running processors alike with the Sandy Bridge generation, thus no TIM changes have been applied to this Haswell refresh."

So maybe Intel is having issues with the TIM and thus the delay?

Pretty sure only Devil's Canyon (4790k & 4690k) was to receive the deluxe TIM treatment.. all of the other Haswell refresh chips should be the same as Haswell.

Pretty sure only Devil's Canyon (4790k & 4690k) was to receive the deluxe TIM treatment.. all of the other Haswell refresh chips should be the same as Haswell.

That's why I was surprised to see a review that claimed the 4790 was running 10 degrees cooler than the 4770k. It's probably just normal variance.

That's why I was surprised to see a review that claimed the 4790 was running 10 degrees cooler than the 4770k. It's probably just normal variance.

Yeah, the Tweaktown review. Dunno.. the 18° lower idle temp is kind of strange. Wish they would've thrown in a standard 4770 to compare. Are the unlocked chips supposed to run any hotter at stock?

If the entire Haswell refresh line-up had the same thermal improvements that Devil's Canyon is supposed to have, you'd think Intel would be advertising it.

Wanting to upgrade real soon like sometime during June. I may just have to settle for a z97 with a 4770k instead of a 4790k dang it. Then from there it wouldn't make sense to get a 4790k but to switch to broadwell.. damn. I bet we'll no for sure in the next week or two on what's going to happen.

I dont get why people are getting their panties in a bunch over a slightly upped model from Haswell...This is the same story going from Ivy to Haswell.

I dont get why people are getting their panties in a bunch over a slightly upped model from Haswell....

Because you don't have to pry the chip apart with a razor blade in order to do any overclocking.

So no DC CPU's but Haswell-E CPU's instead. Seems to be better news to me.

How are you getting no DC CPUs from that leaked roadmap?

The 2 parts that say "Haswell Refresh K SKU" to the right of the 4770k and 4670k is Devil's Canyon - located under Q3'14 (July-Sept).

The article itself states the same recent Devil's Canyon delay info/rumor, where it will still go on sale - but in September, instead of June.

How are you getting no DC CPUs from that leaked roadmap?

The 2 parts that say "Haswell Refresh K SKU" to the right of the 4770k and 4670k is Devil's Canyon - located under Q3'14 (July-Sept).

The article itself states the same recent Devil's Canyon delay info/rumor, where it will still go on sale - but in September, instead of June.

I mean 'none' being available sometime in June like some rumors were mentioning. I mean we'll have to wait a bit longer which moves us closer to the Broadwell release.

Is this site not for the niche market?

I've been here long enough to know what it's for ;) I'm just suggesting that even among enthusiasts, Haswell-E is still very niche. The K-Series CPUs are Intel's bread and butter for gaming enthusiasts/overclockers, so while it may be good news for a small percentage of us, most everyone here is probably not going to be stepping up to 2011 with the release of Haswell-E.

While that's certainly true for the average user, I think that the general assuming is that posters here are not average. Also, it isn't even remotely difficult to use faster clocks, higher IPCs, and >3Gb/s SATA (the primary differences that we're interested in between between a 4790K and a Q6600 ).

Did you mean to post this somewhere else, or were you just assuming that everyone on this board is exactly like you?

I'm posting it here because the three new CPUs will mean even less than was thought - even for the high end.

1. High-end and niche CPUs (and their chipsets) are always pricey - especially from Intel. (That won't change any.)
2. Even 3 GB+ SATA (which requires Z97) does NOT require a CPU change - however, is it worth moving from Z87 to get there? If you have LGA1150 and Z87 already, the answer to that is typically no.
3. The higher-IPC won't impact even niche usage all that greatly because those differences will be largely niggling compared to current product - or are you suggesting that they will buy it simply because they can?

Throwaway purchasing is not happening much any more - purchases now are undergoing FAR greater scrutiny - even within [H].

that's right!

PGHammer's "Bridgewalker" is still under construction and that's 2007 technology. The 4670K proposal has been fast tracked though and might get approval prior to 2020...

Because you don't have to pry the chip apart with a razor blade in order to do any overclocking.

Give me delid pleasure or I'll pass. Delidding is very popular these days and I hope Intel keeps some fun CPUs delid possible.

Give me delid pleasure or I'll pass. Delidding is very popular these days and I hope Intel keeps some fun CPUs delid possible.

I can only go so far on you with this SonDa. I only did it once, it was scary as shit, and it was a big rush that it worked. I'm actually not really looking forward to doing it again. If it were my choice DC would not need to be delidded to overclock and validate with avx2 synthetic benchmarks run for hours on end (p95 28.5)

In one of Linus's (Yeah, I know some people dislike him a lot) videos he said Broadwell was to be compatible with the Z97 mobos. Don't know if his info is any better than ours but he did say it so must be some truth to it. Since I'm building a entirely new rig I'm going with the Z97 mobo. If for some reason the DC 4970k, which I do believe it will release this week, fails to show up I'll just go with the 4770k I have laying about. I can always upgrade again when Broadwell releases assuming its better than a 4770k. Hopefully tomorrow I'm ordering a 4790k cpu.

Did a google search and found this. It is showing 4790k at 3.6GHz, 4.0GHz boost with this cyberpower rig. Believable, maybe the 4790k part is a typo? But stock 4770k's run at 3.5GHz/3.9GHz boost.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...uid-Cool-Gaming-Computer/9088451/product.html

Interesting.

Look at all of these too. Am I the first who's noticed this? If so then sorry for the old news.
http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=4790k&SearchType=Header

EDIT: You know what, I bet just the "k" part is a typo. Because non k is 3.6/4.0

Last edited:
Had a Tustin, California Micro Center check inventory today for 4790k and nothing came up in their computer. Hope they have them ready to go and will update inventory by tomorrow morning.

I'm twitching to razor delid Devils Canyon ASAP.

Everyone that I have spoken to says the K chips will go on sale mid to late June.

If DC is the real deal(soldered would be nice) it might be time to upgrade from my 2600K.

I hope this is not true. I wanted to get a 4790k for my next build, if it's September, then ill just go with 4790... :(

Well, if they do the release tomorrow and then need 2 weeks to get them into stores then that is not too bad. Better than September/Fall anyway. I'm hoping its not a paper launch though.

I spent some time poking around the internet trying to figure out why nothing had been announced yet. It seems that the NDA lifts tonight at 11:30pm PDT, which corresponds with the 2pm announcement in Taiwan.

26KI55Q.jpg

I spent some time poking around the internet trying to figure out why nothing had been announced yet. It seems that the NDA lifts tonight at 11:30pm PDT, which corresponds with the 2pm announcement in Taiwan.

http://i.imgur.com/26KI55Q.jpg

Yup, I just posted that same pic over in the 4790k thread earlier today.. might've been more helpful in this one.

That same article also had the 4790k ES again showing 4.0GHz, but this time running on a Z87 board..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040869585&postcount=95

Do want! :D

Just ordered mine at newegg.com. Says it will ship on the 25th. 4.0GHz base looks like a reality.

Just ordered mine at newegg.com. Says it will ship on the 25th. 4.0GHz base looks like a reality.

Just found the first 4790k review..

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/70473-intel-core-i7-4790k-devils-canyon-22nm-haswell/

Seems to have 10% better performance than the 4770k, runs 10° hotter at load (on same stock HSF), and the ES version used in the review didn't OC too well.

Still want, but maybe I should wait and see how it fairs on Z87.. hopefully another reviewer will check this out, and perhaps try anything other than the stock cooler.

Back