Developer Accuses Microsoft Of Making "Rape Jokes"

I don't get how some of the people here can even endure being on this site. Surely they must think that the name HARDocp can have heinous phallic connotations which can represent the patriarchy of the male dominated technology realm.

It must be really tiring to be a cultural Marxist, always trying to find the REAL meaning behind words since "oppression" is always everywhere.

Says the middle class white male HA!

I'm really tired of people who get upset over shit like this. And all you douchebag e-knights who think you're cool by saying how cultured you are, or rather pretend to be.

No one gives a fuck and that's the way it should be. The "lower citizens" have it right, everyone should be free to say whatever they want so long as it is not threatening. In poor taste? Please, now if he actually said something that blatantly inferred rape that would be different.

I love how some people think that because they have their own set of boundaries they won't cross that they are somehow better, get over yourselves.

It has become obvious that this site is filled with a bunch of misogynistic, hate filled, dudebros.
99% of this site readers are middle class white MEN.l
You will never experience sexual assault and you likely never experience large scale discrimination.
As a male survivor I say FUCK YOU.
Shit stains like yourselves make it harder for people like me to get help.

People in the USA have become WAY too politically correct in the last 20 years with all the violence in the media and happening in real life this is being blown way out of context if you are sensitive about his comment maybe you should not venture into online gaming because within 5 secs of hitting a public server you will hear way worse.

I am sick of misogynistic shit stains like yourself.

lawl, I am about as far away from a misogynist as a man can be.

I am not some pussified douchebag that looks for reasons to feign outrage in order to seem like something I am not.

It's far more insulting to women that dudes like this guy jump up to protect them, women do just fine protecting themselves.

All 7 of your posts on this website have been nothing but your liberal hate speech, including the previous post which was a personal attack on stealthy123.

Your "middle class white male" thing is is humorous. I guess I'm supposed to feel guilty or something, or you are accusing me of perpetuation a "rape culture" somehow.

In either case my previous comment still stands. I feel sorry for you. All your contributions to this site have only been comments of outrage and offense. You take a strongly purposed negative outlook on everything because that is all your ideology has to offer, which is why, annoying as it may be now, cultural Marxism will fail.

It has become obvious that this site is filled with a bunch of misogynistic, hate filled, dudebros.
You will never experience sexual assault and you likely never experience large scale discrimination.

jackie-chan-meme.jpg

Would you like a feminine tissue for your weeping vagina?

Stop mincing words...

Troll account is obvious.

Contrary to what you might experience having your weak mind not all people respond to rape in the same way. A mature adult wouldn't look to persecute someone for something taken out of context and purposefully read in alternate meanings, regardless of whether or not they were ever raped.

No one makes it harder for you to get help, you're just a pussy. You were likely a pussy before you got raped, too.

This thread is ridiculous.

Interpretation does not equate to intention.

It's more about what we accept as popular culture today compared to it's accepted meaning from less than a decade ago. What we accept as everyday speech would have been considered hateful not long ago. Yes, the guy from Microsoft probably didn't mean to insinuate that he was going to rape the woman as a sexual attack. But he probably did mean it as he's raping her in the game as many gamers say. Being as that he was playing against a woman that made his remark more even more crude.

Which sounds innocent to the younger crowd as it's acceptable to tell someone that you're going to rape them. I would even say that it makes you seem cool to say so. But tell a rape victim or a rape victim's family that and you get a completely different response. Trust me from experience if you say some shit like that around me you're going to get a tongue lashing.

So what the developer is trying to get through to everyone is that it's not fun to toss around the word rape or connotations of it as if it's just something that happens everyday in normal society. It does happen, but it should be considered an outlier and that individual should be punished for his acts. In today's society rape has been desensitized to the point that you can holler it at someone while gaming and it's perfectly fine. In old society rape was a big deal and those guilty of such a heinous act would be punished. Maybe that's why today so many women in the military are getting raped and it's brushed aside. That's why the politician from Japan can make such absurd remarks but lots of people think it's ok.

So I completely agree with the developer. Microsoft employees should be using the term as doing so perpetuates rape's desensitization in popular culture. i'm not calling for the guy to be fired and shit. But he needs to take a class on what is acceptable and what's not in public.

I would have let the exchange of words slide. There are bigger things to be worried about... like actually getting raped @_@

Which *way* was his hair parted, that will tell us the true intent of the comment.

How can you NOT see it? That line would be what a rapist can say... maybe if you add in... "and you won't be hurt" it'll make it more obvious.

Well if you are wired to hear that because you are a over serious neo-Puritan PC busybody not like that could apply to other things like going to the dentist or a zillion other thing you do not want to do.

In bad taste.

That's probably the most one should make out of it. Also this is why you don't have these socially awkward nerds getting up on stage doing PR marketing presentations, people with no social skills have a propensity to say stupid things when they're in a public forum (on stage in this case) and when they embellish and shoot from the hip, the stupidity tends to comes out.

Which is also why I thought Aisha Tyler did a great job without a hitch or any cringe-worthy lines for Ubisoft when she was up there yesterday. She seemed natural and mostly professional.

given there was a zero percent chance anyone was about to get raped, the outrage was of the feigned variety.

So you think it's perfectly fine for an employee of one of the largest corporations in the world to use terms that are said to rape victims as they are being assaulted, because he is on stage with in broad daylight and there's no chance of him being able to pull it off? I agree that the guy didn't mean he literally was going to rape her, but still you don't say things like that. Especially when we have a culture where the Steubenville's, military rapes, date rapes, etc still happen.

Before you go out on a first date do you call the girl's dad and tell her that she's so hot that she might as well be prepared to relax, slow down, and take it? Etiquette has been lost from the younger generation. Very sad indeed.

So you think it's perfectly fine for an employee of one of the largest corporations in the world to use terms that are said to rape victims as they are being assaulted, because he is on stage with in broad daylight and there's no chance of him being able to pull it off? I agree that the guy didn't mean he literally was going to rape her, but still you don't say things like that. Especially when we have a culture where the Steubenville's, military rapes, date rapes, etc still happen.

Before you go out on a first date do you call the girl's dad and tell her that she's so hot that she might as well be prepared to relax, slow down, and take it? Etiquette has been lost from the younger generation. Very sad indeed.

You are STILL hinging on what he said as being "term that rapists use" and not a generic phrase that people use in many facets of life, even in your imaginary "old society".

All of your absolute feminist drivel is a complete joke, and is purposely there to skew the topic into an area where you and unclegoogle and spam 1000 links "proving" your point, where if anyone, like myself, bothers to read half the time is either outright false, or is just as full of points that debunk the point you are making that it is meaningless to post it.

Its a rape term to YOU, because you are so focused on the subject, due to ??? If you were raped, sorry to hear, but if you are still to this day so focused on it, and it has broken you this much; then you are simply not right in the head, and need to seek some REAL counseling so that you can be a functional member of society, not one that is constantly in fear of the rape-boogieman in dire need of announcing to the world that they right behind every corner.

Rapists say a lot of things. Are we not allowed to say anything that sounds vaguely like something a rapist might say, even if you can think of a hundred other contexts for it? Where's your source for how common this phrase is? An episode of Law & Order SVU?

Wow you deserve to be summarily executed for that ridiculous analogy.

Which is also why I thought Aisha Tyler did a great job without a hitch or any cringe-worthy lines for Ubisoft when she was up there yesterday. She seemed natural and mostly professional.

All of the people on thread + stream I was watching seemed to agree she was completely unfunny and every joke/line a complete flop (just like every other presenter).

All of the people on thread + stream I was watching seemed to agree she was completely unfunny and every joke/line a complete flop (just like every other presenter).

They shouldn't even bother with that kind of scripted humor. No one is there for a comedy routine, they are waiting with bated breath for the next bit of game information.

I can do a passable Irish accent, a decent Scottish accent, or I can talk like Nathan Explosion. Your choice.

Just kidding, it's my choice. Can you smell this rag and tell me if it's snuggle fresh?

Snuggle fresh? What are you doing over there? :eek: :D

Why don't "you feminazis" just outright say "I don't want men to have free will". I'm don't try to hide behind some bullshit excuse or sideline when I say "women ruin everything".

But don't worry, men will continue to invent, organize, and run everything; for the ultimate benefit of women, and they'll continue to complain about how unfair it is.

BTW, from the article you linked

Well, certain men shouldn't have free will. That's pretty much a given, but not everyone is like that at all. In fact, most guys are really nice people even though they do need fear of consequences to keep them from doing dumb, impulsive stuff most of the time. It's not really a matter of debate. Guys get along a lot better when other guys make up a system with a bunch of rules for them to follow and a bunch of bad things that happen if they don't follow them. You can look at that in a negative light and see it as a weakness or you can be grateful that there are other, smarter men out there who understand their psychology and exploit it to turn them into useful people who work all their lives and mostly behave themselves.

I am probably older than you(34).

People say stupid shit when they get sucked up in competition, it doesn't mean anything other than people say stupid shit when they get caught up.

I can't remember specifically, but I am sure at one point or another I said to a buddy "you just got raped," after I or someone else destroyed them in a game. In colloquial usage it doesn't mean the same thing as in a court room. Words evolve in their meanings, and we shouldn't have to be afraid of someone stuck on a certain line of thinking being offended.

In this instance, if he had said the exact same thing to another man no one would have batted an eyelash(maybe you would have, but you already established you have a specific issue with the word rape). Double standards are bullshit, and I think it's pretty sexist to single out this as a bad thing just because it was a woman it was said to. Never mind that there are any number of other situations where similar phrases are said and there are no sexual undertones at all, let alone sexual assault.

It really doesn't matter how many of you feel your priveleged sandbox is being attacked by the evil forces of political correctness.

Bottom line is Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar corporation who doesn't want to alienate half of their potential market, and this story is picking up attention. Odds are an apology is imminent.

Shit, I am sure some of my gaming chick friends have screamed on mic that they just raped me. I just take it as I got my ass kicked and moved on.

It really doesn't matter how many of you feel your priveleged sandbox is being attacked by the evil forces of political correctness.

Bottom line is Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar corporation who doesn't want to alienate half of their potential market, and this story is picking up attention. Odds are an apology is imminent.

oh god don't start with that women are half the aaa market crap again.

but your probably right they will apologise. under the onslaught of feminazi, e knights, and apple toting liberals. (had to get an apple jab in there, it felt appropriate ;) )

Back