Deus Ex: Why do you love it?

aethelwulf

[H]ard|Gawd
I know there are tons of people on this board who will rave about how great this game is, but I have to admit... I never finished it. I've tried playing through it about 3 times over the years, but I can never find the interest to finish it. I love the concept, and almost every aspect of the game, but I cannot stand the combat. I can't even identify exactly what it is, either. So... am I the only one?

I'm asking because I'm not thrilled with any new releases right now and am comtemplating trying to find what I did with my GOTY edition, and give it another go. Should I do it? Any advice on how to get the best from this game?

I never even gave this game a chance.
I hear all these awesome things about it and still never even made the effort to buy it.

Am I missing out, do I Need to get this game?

I bought this game on Steam. Unfortunately, there's an insane amount of mouse acceleration applied during the game, and there's no way to turn it off :(. The game's virtually unplayable to me.

It been years since i played, all I remember it was awesome game. Upgrade stuff, use stealth, loved the environment, graphics, etc.

I loved the storyline and dialog. Find me another fast-paced, world-spanning game that seamlessly integrates FPS action with detailed conversations about individual liberty vs. the dictates of a self-appointed elite cabal with ambitions to control the destiny of humanity. Great stuff!!!

Deus Ex was the X-Files before Muldar and Scully graduated from high school.

The game was awesome years ago. As mentioned above upgrading, stealth, the various other story endings. IMO now tho there are better games to spend your time playing. I

I loved the storyline and dialog. Find me another fast-paced, world-spanning game that seamlessly integrates FPS action with detailed conversations about individual liberty vs. the dictates of a self-appointed elite cabal with ambitions to control the destiny of humanity. Great stuff!!!

Deus Ex was the X-Files before Muldar and Scully graduated from high school.

That's the thing! I loved the concept, I just hated the actual gameplay "feel". Combat was cumbersome and frustrating IMO. I wanted to keep playing just to find out where the story was going, but it got to the point it wasn't worth it.

That's the thing! I loved the concept, I just hated the actual gameplay "feel". Combat was cumbersome and frustrating IMO. I wanted to keep playing just to find out where the story was going, but it got to the point it wasn't worth it.
Well, you've gotta remember Deus Ex is a dinosaur compared to today's graphics and AI standards. If you can keep the out-dated technology in perspective, you should be able to get immersed in the story. I didn't play DE until spring 2007 but found it so much more enjoyable than the vast majority of today's FPS/RPG games. I'll take a great storyline (Deus Ex) over the most sophisticated graphics (BioSuck, Crysis, Gears of War) every time.

I absolutely loved Deus Ex years ago when I played it. A good combination of stealth, action and intelligence. That being said, I tried to play it again about a month or so ago and I really couldn't get into it. Perhaps it's because I've played it through so many times there is nothing left for me to see. But also I found the character movement a bit cumbersome and the graphics bland (by todays standards). I still love the idea of the upgrades and picking what you want to be good at, also the storyline was top-notch. I guess what I'd love to see is a *worthy* sequel to this game using todays technology, don't talk to me about "Deus Ex Invisible War" - that was a pile of shit.

Deus Ex 1 was the best FPS/RPG I have ever played way back then, it had it all! robots, guns, sci-fi tech look. Then Deus Ex 2 came out with the most out of date cartoony look that totally killed it for me.

I have the game (it came with my sound blaster audigy way back in the day) but I honestly never really liked it. I know that it's consistently ranked as one of the best shooters ever, but I dunno, I didn't get it.

I agree that the combat feels clunky, and I hated how horribly bad you suck at doing ANYTHING unless you've leveled up the skill to do it. I haven't played it in a long time though, maybe I was just stupid when I tried it.

EDIT: yes the story line rocks. But I found it very frustrating to actually accomplish anything.

It's cyberpunk; need I say more? The FPS/RPG genre is unique to the PC and this game's existence (and excellence) is proof that PC gaming is actually worth a damn.

I never got very far, as well.
Something about the Unreal engine that was always irritated me. I cant put my finger on it, but just about every game based on that engine, I could not stand.

stuff moves wierd, the colors are over saturated, and it just feels clunky. I dont know. perhaps quake made me biased. I've never liked the Unreal engine. its always felt broken to me.

I still have the game discs somewhere. I don't remember why I liked the game, it's been far to long.

I tried playing through it twice. The first time I got about halfway through, and my hard drive crashed. :mad:

The second time, I got almost as far, and I did an OS reinstall and forgot to keep the save games. :(

When Deus Ex came out, the thing that stood out the most were the animated mouths. That was the first time i've seen a game where the lips were more than just open/close states and actually changed shape.

I find that System Shock 2 (SS2) & Desus Ex (DE) have ruined gaming for me. Play thru each at least once a year & still manage to find/do something new & different each time thru. In terms of game play, nothing else even comes close.

Of the two, much prefer DE. However, DE is not immediately accessible, esp to a merely casual player. First time I fired it up, I was nothing but frustrated & had no fun. Took forever to get thru Liberty Island, Act 1, Scene 1. Took me a few complete play thrus to comprehend the story/plot line & to get a feel for the lay of the land. The thing I like most about these games is their length, something just not seen in single player games these days. As well, the soundtrack is often simply sublime.

Late yesterday JC landed at the abandaoned gas station outside Vandenberg AF base in an effort to save Tiffany Savage. (I'm sure he'll do just fine.:p)

Try as I might, I just can't get thru the game on a no-kill basis, as the weapons are just too much fun to ignore. The silenced sniper rifle is the most fun I've ever had in any vid game. My fav game moment is after talking to Stanton Dowd before heading off to scuttle the Wall Cloud, when a slew of Unatco troopers hits the streets. Speedrun back to the rooftop where you take off w/Jock, but not before taking out all the troopers. What a duck shoot! Fortunately, the game offers any number of long range shooting opportunities. & don't forget the splash damage fun of Assault Rifle & Gep Gun phosphor shells! It's a clam bake! (You didn;t think all those empty cardboard boxes scattered across the game were just for decoration, did you?)

One of these days, just for a change of pace, gotta force myself to use the Sawed Off Shotgun & the Assult Shot Gun - Sabot Shells must be their own reward - & find some creative uses for Pepper Spray & the Fire Extinguisher. Ditto the Plasma Rifle & the Flame Thrower, weapons I've yet to enjoy. So many weapons, so little time!

If graphics are your thing, the HDTP texture mod kicks things up a notch, as does the enhanced UT OGL renderer designed specifically for DE. If OGL's not your thing, there's also an enhanced DX DLL for DE - something else to try. What's not to like? The game is only as difficult as you choose to make it. Just may take awhile to figure out how to build your character in such a way that you'll enjoy dealing w/the games obstacles & opposition forces. HINT: REALISTIC setting makes it all worthwhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwiBVzGvchY

jstnomega: Where can I find those graphics mods you mentioned? Any reason to fire up DE again is cool for me!

jstnomega: Where can I find those graphics mods you mentioned? Any reason to fire up DE again is cool for me!

What cpt.whistlepants said re the HFTP texture pack mod. & here's a link to the OGL renderer. http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

You might wanna read the above mentioned forums re how to get the HDTP mod working - necessary to add some bracketing to the executable shortcut. Mine looks like this:

"H:\Program Files\DeusEx\System\HDTP.exe" INI="H:\Program Files\DeusEx\System\HDTP.ini" USERINI="H:\Program Files\DeusEx\System\HDTPUser.ini log=HDTP.log"

Read the offtopicproduction forum (stickies?) & I'm sure you can figure it out.

What capt.whistlepants said re the HFTP texture pack mod. & here's a link to the OGL renderer. http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

You might wanna read the above mentioned forums re how to get the HDTP mod working - necessary to add some bracketing to the executable shortcut. Mine looks like this:

"H:\Program Files\DeusEx\System\HDTP.exe" INI="H:\Program Files\DeusEx\System\HDTP.ini" USERINI="H:\Program Files\DeusEx\System\HDTPUser.ini log=HDTP.log"

Read the offtopicproduction forum (stickies?) & I'm sure you can figure it out.

You guys are making me want to load it up and try out those mods now.

I never played the first Deux Ex, but I have the sequel for the original Xbox...didn't really like it.

I really want to go back and get some of the ones that are raved about here like the first Deus Ex and System Shock 2, though.

I hated the game. I hated virtually everything about it aside from the concept. I couldn't ever play more than about 45 minutes of it before giving up.

What benefits does this OGL renderer give? Do I use it with the HFTP texture pack mod, or is it an either/or situation?

It's an either or proposition. Read the offtopicproductions forum re the upside to using OGL vs D3D. The OGL that originally shipped w/the game was, well, if not primitive, less well developed than the modifed version.

I remember loading this up on my AMD 1700+, 768mb DDR, Geforce 2 Ti machine looooooong ago. I never actually finished it or even got very far. Much like HL2 is for me now. Is there good reason to revisit it and maybe finish it this time?

I hated the game. I hated virtually everything about it aside from the concept. I couldn't ever play more than about 45 minutes of it before giving up.
You, sir, are a deeply disturbed and troubled man in desperate need of professional care!! :p

DX1 was amazing, still play it every couple of years. especially with that HDTP mod. Every play through yields stuff I never noticed before.
DX2 never existed lol, and DX3 will hopefully be back to its roots.

I loved the game. The game play was alright, but the story! OOOOHHH the story! I love a good story, and this game brought it deep, and hard.

I thought it was alright, and I'm a FPS RPG kind of guy. I never really understood the spectacle that was created by it. I played it, beat it and never tried it again... and I loved SS2 and replayed it a dozen times. I also enjoyed most Unreal Engine games, I just never understood the hype around Deus Ex.

The opening cinematic in the demo initially drew me in... I knew this would be a game to buy just for the story. I loved every bit of it.

The combat was a little difficult at first due to your character being a low level but I soon adapted stealth techniques and learned the ropes. The gameplay was top notch at the time.

I'm huge fan of SS2 like many of you but I must relegate it to the second best PC game of all time after Deus Ex. :D

What's not to like? Incredible developing plot. The ability to alter your playing style by choosing different specializations, affecting not just combat but all aspects of the game. Limited inventory and weapon modification abilities allowing you to make choices which further led to a sense of specialization. Quirky things like trying to make it through missions without using lethal force.

In simple terms, it was a fairly unique game in a wide sea of games that are clones of one another.

The combat really needs to be viewed as a tactical exercise... picking the right weapon for the right fight, conserving ammo if necessary, using stealth tactics when warranted. FPS skills come in to play at times, but if you try to play like Quake it is not going to be a pleasant experience.

Back