Deus Ex: Outsourced?

Gordroth

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
113
Anyone else realize DE:HR was outsourced?

In March, Eidos Montreal revealed to Shacknews that the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution was being developed by the Netherlands-based team at Nixxes Software BV, with Eidos Montreal overseeing the project.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/article/68316/deus-ex-human-revolution-pc

Most of the time, in my experience, when the PC version of game is outsourced, it turns out screwed in one way or another. I've never heard of Nexxes Software either.

Anyone think this will be one of those situations where the PC version being outsourced could potentially be a disaster? I've seen it happen too many times. Would suck if that was the case with this.
 
This may or may not be a good thing. I'll judge it's quality when I play it since I definitely want to have it.

I do hope that Nixxes Software is a group of hardcore PC developers that know how to make it work for the better of the PC gaming community.
 
DEHR has made a pretty good impression from what content is available to the public. This "outsourcing" could have any number of reasons. Maybe one of the key people left Eidos to form his own studio and that's what Nixxes is. Who knows. In either case it's too late to worry about it, the game is almost on the shelves.
 
I'm not worried about it.. they've shown the game running in eyefinity with DX 11 effects. Clearly they are committed to providing an excellent PC experience.
 
According to the Tomb Raider Wiki
Nixxes Software (or just Nixxes) is an European video game developer founded in 1999, by some ex Eidos employees who had worked originally as part of Eidos' in house development team creating `Deathtrap Dungeon`.

@ GiantBomb
http://www.giantbomb.com/nixxes-software-bv/65-7513/
Tech note for DE:HR says DX11 support added

That seems like a good way to go when you're porting to PCs
 
Nixxes is one of the major developers of the Crystal Engine that is being used for DEHR. They probably have more experience with it than the devs at Eidos Montreal. They have also been behind the PC versions of every Tomb Raider game since Legend. As long as they're given the time and money the PC version should be fine. Though the fact that they haven't shown off any PC footage or talked that much about the PC version is less than comforting.
 
The producers of the game have gone out of their way to point out that the game is still being designed completely by Eidos Montreal every step of the way, and that the company doing the port job is basically following step by step instructions from the main team. In fact, they even went on to say that the PC version was effectively being done 'in a different part of the same office'.

This could be true or PR but until we see the game, there's no reason to doubt what they're saying considering the game is looking pretty good so far.
 
I don't think outsourcing the PC port of a game to some third party company has ever resulted in a superior product. That said, I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY game that ended up being better because the PC version is a port.

Best case scenario, it won't be detrimental to the game, worst case scenario we end up with DE:IW all over again. Is this why they are so tightassed with PC screenshots and videos? Bottom line, if the PC version mattered to Eidos as much as they say it does, they would do it themselves. No lead platform my ass.
 
I don't think outsourcing the PC port of a game to some third party company has ever resulted in a superior product. That said, I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY game that ended up being better because the PC version is a port.

Best case scenario, it won't be detrimental to the game, worst case scenario we end up with DE:IW all over again. Is this why they are so tightassed with PC screenshots and videos? Bottom line, if the PC version mattered to Eidos as much as they say it does, they would do it themselves. No lead platform my ass.

Actually most of Nixxes' PC ports have been pretty good. Some of the games they have ported have been shit (Kane & Lynch 2 for example), but port wise they usually do a really good job.
 
People seem to WANT this game to 'fail'.

The bitching over the item highlighting 'issue' was disproportionate and ridiculous. Then when the developer did something that developers virtually NEVER do - they actually listened, and removed the highlighting... not in a patch but before the game's release - all the people who complained bitterly just went silent.

Eidos even released a five minute video in which the two lead developers sat down and explained themselves about the highlighting, which was virtually unprecedented in gaming... as gamers we're almost always met with a giant wall of silence.

If you're going to bitch and complain like a little schoolboy about something then you need to man up and show some gratitude when it gets fixed. And by the way, the previews for this title have been glowing. Every single writer who has sat down to play this has walked away saying it might even be better... yes, better... than the original game.

Some new PC screenshots were released the other day. A lot of the comments I saw at the various forums were - meh... not personally impressed. Blah, blah, blah.
 
I don't think outsourcing the PC port of a game to some third party company has ever resulted in a superior product. That said, I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY game that ended up being better because the PC version is a port.

Best case scenario, it won't be detrimental to the game, worst case scenario we end up with DE:IW all over again. Is this why they are so tightassed with PC screenshots and videos? Bottom line, if the PC version mattered to Eidos as much as they say it does, they would do it themselves. No lead platform my ass.

Do you even know one thing about computer programming?
 
From PCG:

---------------

He goes on to describe a few of the features we can expect from the sequel, saying “Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a true PC game. Yes, you will have a lot of options, no ‘Press start’ screen, full mouse support – everything we feel a PC game should have.

“Further, with the graphics, there are multiple options for anti-aliasing, shadow quality levels, and the ability to enable or disable various post processing effects. All controls can be fully remapped as expected from a PC game as well.”

Deus Extras

Katsman adds that there will be “additional graphics features and a different weapon selection bar to tailor to the keyboard and mouse. There is a simple drag and drop interface to bind things in your inventory to specific keys on your keyboard, making them quickly accessible, and you can then also cycle through these with your mouse scroll wheel while in-game.

“For graphics, there are some unique features, like smoother shadows, more realistic ambient occlusion effects, stereoscopic 3D– various things that the extra hardware allows us to do. Our focus has been making sure that the game is built for the PC platform as well as possible.”

There will also be full mouse support for the game’s menus, and the team have entirely re-thought the interface for the hacking mini-game. There are also a few extra surprises in store.

“There is a lot of cool stuff in the game, says Katman, “But one thing specific to the PC version that we think is quite cool are some features we have been working on with AMD. I can’t talk about these right now, but a video and details will be released on Thursday.”

---------

So what more do people want? If a triple-a prostitute were to jump out of the box for the collector's edition give you a blow job some gamers would still find things to complain about. The only time a gamer stops bitching is when he's dead.
 
Least it wasn't sourced out to Raven or treyarch. I'll take the Star wars Kid developing it over those retards. (Sorry Raven, too soon I know.)
 
According to the Tomb Raider Wiki

Nixxes Software (or just Nixxes) is an European video game developer founded in 1999, by some ex Eidos employees who had worked originally as part of Eidos' in house development team creating `Deathtrap Dungeon`.

@ GiantBomb
http://www.giantbomb.com/nixxes-software-bv/65-7513/
Tech note for DE:HR says DX11 support added

That seems like a good way to go when you're porting to PCs

Troubling indeed :p At least from what I've heard about that game.

DX 11 "support" really could mean anything. It is what you do with it that matters, not the API used itself.

Actually most of Nixxes' PC ports have been pretty good. Some of the games they have ported have been shit (Kane & Lynch 2 for example), but port wise they usually do a really good job.

Can you list what ports they've done?
 
Nixxes doing the PC version is better than Eidos Montreal doing it. Essentially you're getting a dedicated team instead of the 2 people Eidos Montreal could spare to work on it.

Good team too, with several games on the same engine already under their belt. The HUD looks pretty good. They even added a toolbelt/hotbar thing like in DX1 where you just drag crap from your inventory down there. Also DX11 tessellation, proper Eyefinity support where HUD elements remain on middle screen, reportedly looks good with 3D Vision, too.
 
Least it wasn't sourced out to Raven or treyarch. I'll take the Star wars Kid developing it over those retards. (Sorry Raven, too soon I know.)

Too true! Absolutely tragic how Raven has gone to shit over the years, they used to be one of my favorites.
 
I know they've confirmed DX11 support, but have they gone into specifics? There have been a couple of games that officially supported DX11 but didn't take advantage of it.
 
Well, from the general responses here, giving info I had no idea about, I'd say that it actually sounds like a good deal... they sound like a dedicated group who do PC versions right. Hopefully it'll be the same for DE:HR.
 
Well, from the general responses here, giving info I had no idea about, I'd say that it actually sounds like a good deal... they sound like a dedicated group who do PC versions right. Hopefully it'll be the same for DE:HR.

Same here. I continue to have my fingers crossed and be cautiously optimistic about this new DX game.
 
I know they've confirmed DX11 support, but have they gone into specifics? There have been a couple of games that officially supported DX11 but didn't take advantage of it.

We've known for some time they are using tessellation. Beyond that, I don't know.
 
We've known for some time they are using tessellation. Beyond that, I don't know.

Thanks for the insight. Other games like Battlefield 3 and Red Faction: Armageddon have been on the forefront of my mind so I haven't been paying close attention.
 
Back
Top