Deus Ex: Human Revolution Gameplay Performance Review @ [H]

Anyone else think it's strange that a game developed closely with AMD's help ... has better framerates on nV hardware? Also, surprised I didn't see an image quality comparison. That leads me to assume it was so close you can't tell the difference. (So again - no IQ benefit either to AMD's involvement? You'd think management would NOT be happy ... they paid for engineering time and got nothing out of it.)

We, the gamers, benefited from it, since we get those features in the game that are enjoyed by everyone who plays it on the PC. IMO, that's more important.

We, the gamers, benefited from it, since we get those features in the game that are enjoyed by everyone who plays it on the PC. IMO, that's more important.

I'm definitely not complaining. If AMD wants to give gamers a better experience out of the goodness of its heart, I'll take it. But if I were an employee and saw those numbers, I'd expect heads to roll ;)

Anyone else think it's strange that a game developed closely with AMD's help ... has better framerates on nV hardware? Also, surprised I didn't see an image quality comparison. That leads me to assume it was so close you can't tell the difference. (So again - no IQ benefit either to AMD's involvement? You'd think management would NOT be happy ... they paid for engineering time and got nothing out of it.)

UT04 was TWIMTBP and ran better on radeons, it happens sometimes.
I'm pleased AMD users can use FXAA too, I think it's better than MLAA personally.

It's also possible that they avoided a disaster by helping the developers get performance on par with nVidia.

Imagine what would happen if one of the year's biggest PC games was only playable on nVidia hardware.

In March 2010, AMD published its "Gamers' Manifesto", which is the principle on which its developer relations are based. The last part of that is:

"4. Putting gamers first: At the heart of all of our efforts is the mandate to make gamers’ experiences better – those with AMD hardware in their system, or not, deserve the best gaming experience possible."

Kyle and Brent and I went to the press event where they unveiled it, and they explained that they hoped to grow their business organically by expanding the PC gaming industry by use of open standards and fair practices, thereby making them more money as the market needs expand. Whether or not they have been entirely successful in that regard is debatable, but I think efforts like their involvement in Deus Ex show that they are serious about living up to it.

Last edited:
Funny really, considering nvidia's approach is exactly the opposite - striving for a world where games are only playable on nvidia hardware.

it's really great to have all the settings explained in detail - it's really a lot to figure all this out on your own - you guys are the best!

New to the forum , long time reader!

No crash full play through. Only issue was changing aa settings gave an error and crash to desktop(even after patch). Changing options and then closing steam was a work around. All sort of weird stuff happens with older pcs dx9 and xp ?(which i m on)

I don t think hr is that graphicaly intensive. Mostly the filters. Ran the game with a ati hd 4770 got around 40 fps @ 1920x1200 with fxaa high two other options normal af off

Read on the net that it was mostly cpu intensive ?
Had the same issue of getting frame dips , my core 2 duo 1.8ghz wasn t cutting it so i oced it to 3.1 ghz :p and made the game much more enjoyable. Tho vents and wall issue was still noticeable!

Also only 2gig of ddr2 ram x.x.

Had Fxaa at high >.> since only figure how to keep it from crashing when changing settings after i finished it.

Great article like always! keep up the good work!

Last edited:
i've been very impressed with this game. looks good, runs well and no crashed right out of the box. not often we see that anymore! plus its a hell of a lot of fun!

running at 1920x1200 on a 5770 and runs very smooth on full details. just leaving AA off is all.

One reason why I really like about AMD, is that they don't appear to have pulled an nVidia and pressured developers to deliberately sabotage a game for their competitor's hardware. You guys know the stunts that have been pulled such as with Batman Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Greed, and Crysis 2 where they tessellated the hell out of stuff just for the sake of tessellating stuff. There may be one other TWIMTBP game out there, but I can't think of it right now.

In March 2010, AMD published its "Gamers' Manifesto", which is the principle on which its developer relations are based. The last part of that is:

"4. Putting gamers first: At the heart of all of our efforts is the mandate to make gamers’ experiences better – those with AMD hardware in their system, or not, deserve the best gaming experience possible."

Kyle and Brent and I went to the press event where they unveiled it, and they explained that they hoped to grow their business organically by expanding the PC gaming industry by use of open standards and fair practices, thereby making them more money as the market needs expand. Whether or not they have been entirely successful in that regard is debatable, but I think efforts like their involvement in Deus Ex show that they are serious about living up to it.

One reason why I really like about AMD, is that they don't appear to have pulled an nVidia and pressured developers to deliberately sabotage a game for their competitor's hardware. You guys know the stunts that have been pulled such as with Batman Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Greed, and Crysis 2 where they tessellated the hell out of stuff just for the sake of tessellating stuff. There may be one other TWIMTBP game out there, but I can't think of it right now.

couldn't agree more!
*brofist*

I have been wondering about this game and like some others am a bit reticent with well-reviewed games, since I own so many I consider duds that were called 'almost classics' - tried playing Oblivion and ME for example but got sick of 'grinding' and talking to thin sad NCPs..

BTW - watching the 'lets play' DEHR walkthroughs on Utoob is interesting, the German sounding guy is a laugh, he seems such a nub in the early eps but i'm sure I would look same if I were recorded whilst just starting a game....yawl got me...d/loading on Steam ..thnx for the article and your opinions on the game..

Good article.

I think the thing I took away from this is that in dedicating a team to PC development, PC gamers everywhere have benefited from a game that doesn't suffer from poor performance, bugs, or control glitches inherent in a console port.

I hope the publisher and the developer get the earnings necessary for them to take away from this the concept of "If you do it right, we'll buy it". This is one of the few games in the past couple of years I bought in the first week of release, after expecting nothing, then reading great review after great review of the PC version. And it's a damn good game, worth every penny I paid for it.

With today's trend of console ports, I want to see more game developers doing this, separating the PC version from the console versions and giving the PC version special love and feature support that consoles can't do.

Is that some kind of a joke?

EIDOS forum has been under siege from the day one.
And let me tell you - not by those who wanted to express their love for PC version.

But by people who can't even consider playing this stuttery mess till it's fixed.
Stutter threads on both EIDOS and Steam dwarf anything else there.

Quick poll survey

With 350MB VRAM and 500MB RAM on 1080p highest settings, its obvious this turd engine has no concept of basic features like precaching

"special love and feature support" :D

Pretty sure that's the first time this has been mentioned here. I'm well aware the game doesn't precache much material, because you can feel environment loading in some instances, but it's only very brief and infrequent. It almost went completely unnoticed to me. Perhaps those with problems have the game running off very slow disks? :S

Nah, its not disk reading, although it looked like a good thing to point finger at

1. One of the stuttering may be the problem, because the game (dx9) creates shaders on demand (when some object with new shader visible in viewport). So, i guess shaders not just creating but also compiling and this is relatively slow. Solution is to compile and create them at scene loading time.

2. SSAO is horrible and nonsence in this game, this effect allow to add more volumetric look to the scene, but not that one in Deus Ex 3. Here are comparisons i did:
the original:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/enb04.jpg/
modified SSAO (ignore shadows, they are beta at this moment):
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/enb03.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/enb201191131953.jpg/

3. Please, remove ugly coloring, it's boring. At least switch on/off could be handy.

4. Fix bugs with too much bright ambient lit of few objects, it's incorrect shaders math applied.

5. Performance could be greatly improved by shorten pixel shaders, they are now have 250-300 instructions long and not used at full, just eating gpu. Also performance is lower because of long shaders in deffered lighting system, in some areas there are many light volumes placed.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1677730&postcount=64

That guy did more to fix their game then all the NIXXES devs put together.

I had the stuttering at first. Disabling GPU-Z (running in the background) got rid of it.Been smooth ever since.

Just throwin' it out there.

Started playing today....

comp-15.jpg
:>

So I am playing this game. Lovin' every minute of it. Going through it with a tranq rifle and the 10mm for the most part. Spent all my upgrades on hacking and stealth. Wanting to do this like I played the original back in the day (minimal kills). So what happens??? A forced freakin' BOSS FIGHT!!! Unarmed, unequiped, unready for this. Might have to go back a few saves and re-assign some upgrades.

Who the HELL puts forced boss fights into a game that you are suppose to be able to complete without killing anyone? Guess I'll need to do more research on the next game like this I buy. Most disappointing.

Fine here. Not the only thread that's been mentioned in, must have been a brief glitch with [H]'s servers.

edit: Ah nope, the page did load, but you're quite right, it's a 404. Weird.

0 crashes here too.. 6950 2gig manhandles this game .. im only at 1600x900 though..

0 crashes here too.. 6950 2gig manhandles this game .. im only at 1600x900 though..

You really do need a new monitor, if you have the money/space for one.

At least a good solid 24 inch monitor, preferably at 16:10 resolution 1920x1200.

That would take better advantage of your rig and video card. I cannot overstate how vital a good monitor is to your gaming experience. Everything you see is outputted to it, and the resolution determines how crisp what you're seeing will be, and higher resolutions enable you to see a more noticeable distinction between higher resolutions and lower ones, you will notice more details and have an increased FOV.

I'm not gonna say that your money is wasted on having that card and such a "low" (relatively) resolution, but you certainly aren't getting your moneys worth.

So I am playing this game. Lovin' every minute of it. Going through it with a tranq rifle and the 10mm for the most part. Spent all my upgrades on hacking and stealth. Wanting to do this like I played the original back in the day (minimal kills). So what happens??? A forced freakin' BOSS FIGHT!!! Unarmed, unequiped, unready for this. Might have to go back a few saves and re-assign some upgrades.

Who the HELL puts forced boss fights into a game that you are suppose to be able to complete without killing anyone? Guess I'll need to do more research on the next game like this I buy. Most disappointing.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Game is running spectacularly on my i7 920 @ 3.6ghz, crossfire 6870 rig, just got to the first boss-oh S moment.

Is there a way to manually change the resolution? My issue is that I have a 1920X1080 native resolution for my 37" tv but the game only detects it as a generic monitor. Nvidia control has the tv identified correctly but the game does not. I have a 2500K 480gtx sys so that is not holding things up.

Looking in the registry does not indicate to me how to change the resolution. I am capped via the game menu to 1280X720 which sucks for a 37" let me tell you.

I figured out how to change the resolution but it still will not take b/c of the output not recognizing my monitor as anything other than generic pnp monitor.

Last edited:
My display shows up as a generic monitor because I never installed anything to tell the system otherwise, but I haven't had this issue. :confused:

Hmmm. Yeah I have not figured out which reg edit I need to yet. I need to figure out what option allows for a greater range of resolutions.

Hmmm. Yeah I have not figured out which reg edit I need to yet. I need to figure out what option allows for a greater range of resolutions.

yea i think ur on the right track. you could submit a service request to the developer asking about this.

Back