• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Determining laptop processor upgradability

Zatos

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
158
I have a Sony VAIO VGN-NR385E. The bottom says it's model PCG-7112L - which I don't understand. Both are legitimate models, and it meets the right specs. I'm not sure if it was a rare model as there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about them.

It has an Intel T5550 Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz CPU, socket P. Unfortunately, I can not find any information as to what the best processor the laptop can take.

Does anyone have somewhere they can refer me to or perhaps know themselves?

Thank you very much

edit: Actually, perhaps only whether or not it can run the T5850. It is the fastest processor with the same bus frequency and socket type. It has a higher multipler running at 2.16 GHz. I'm optimistic this would work, but I want to make sure.
 
Last edited:
I'd say that depends on the BIOS, Check out the release notes and see if they added new CPU support or look up the documentation on your model as some might have been sold with that CPU.

Also, that won't be a huge upgrade, are you sure it would be worth the cost and trouble?
 
Back
Top