Determining Bad HD for Raid 0

DragoonTD

Limp Gawd
If I had a problem with raid 0, say one of them is bad. How would I determine which hd in the array is bad? Something I like to know since I would be looking to do raid 0 when I build my next gaming system in october. Thanks for any advice and info.

SMART, listening to the drives, running the manufacturer diagnostics? Would be bad to have 1 drive in RAID0 go down.

As far as listening to the drives, I have heard of bearing and clicking noises before. Can you or someone elaborate more on this? Hmm..good old diagnostics, forgot about that. What do you mean it would be bad to have 1 drive in Raid 0 go down? Cant I just pop in a new one and everything would be ok? :confused:

In RAID0 if any drive fails, all the data is lost.

^^^ Pretty much says it all.

RAID0 has no redundancy at all. Whether you have a two drive RAID0 array or a 50 drive RAID0 array, if one drive dies, you lose the data on all the drives. Perhaps you were thinking of RAID1?

Oh..I forgot. Somehow I thought raid 0 has redundancy....ahahaha. Well I'm talking about raid 1. Say if one of your hd has a virus, does that mean your mirror hd has a virus too?

Say if one of your hd has a virus, does that mean your mirror hd has a virus too?
By definition, both drives have the same thing on them. Which is why raid is not backup. Not even a form of backup.

What if you make an image of your hard drive then? Would that mean the infected file would be there too? So what would be a form of back-up? It cant just be dragging and dropping your music, video, and downloads to another drive?

Typically backups are done using backup software, for example the one built into XP Pro. It merely makes an archive of all the directories, or data specified.

Have you use a backup software beside Windows? Do you know from experience or have heard of a good back-up software?

Back