Destroyed a motherboard with...

Jsalpha2

Limp Gawd
Everyone knows that static electricity can ruin your hardware, but I had one drop of sweat fall off my forehead and
took out my motherboard. So keep it cold where you are working, and if you have stress sweat, wear a bandana.
Fortunately my i5 was still good and I had a spare motherboard that I was going to use on another build. So good luck to you all.

I had a cmos battery leak and take out a board. I cleaned it best I could with isopropyl alcohol and it worked for a few more hours, but ultimately hard locked and I could never get a video signal out of it again

My ex-wife's sister took out a desktop computer motherboard with chocolate milk.

She is living proof that Einstein was correct: "There are only 2 infinite things out there, the size of the universe and human stupidity - and I'm not sure about the universe..."

A drop of sweat? I've seen machines survive after getting soaked with tea while running.

It's not too surprising. I've seen machines survive a hell of a lot worse and die to simply being touched and ESD zapped.

My PC got submerged when basement flooded. I thought for sure it would be dead, but no, it was fine.

I destroyed a motherboard with a screwdriver. It was a real bitch to install a heatsink on a Socket A motherboard.
I've done that... man... those were horrible... Brings back memories...

I'm still not quite sure WTF they were thinking with exposed die and a shitty retention mechanism. That flathead screwdriver was just asking to go through either the proc, my hand or the motherboard....

I've literally had water pouring on to a gpu and motherboard and it lived.

Also a few have spent a cycle in the dishwasher.

...A soldering iron. Several years ago when I was just starting, I knocked a capacitor off my motherboard by accident. I thought no big deal, I'll just solder on a new one. No experience tinkering then...couldn't get the solder sucker to pick up the old solder so I kept heating the board and overheated it.

I've literally had water pouring on to a gpu and motherboard and it lived.

Also a few have spent a cycle in the dishwasher.
I've done the dishwasher trick with cylinder heads before from a car, but not a motherboard.... Impressed if the gpu / mobo survived.

I've done the dishwasher trick with cylinder heads before from a car, but not a motherboard.... Impressed if the gpu / mobo survived.

Everything survived, the board wouldn't post because of the short.

Everything from the dishwasher survived too.

Wtf kinda crazy substance do you sweat ?

Alien_voted_greatest_movie_monster_of_all_time.jpg

A friend of mine in high school killed 2 boards before realizing that he needed to install mother board standoffs.

Also, don't work on components that still have power applied. :)

I once made the most sockingly ghetto 'ram waterblock', and unsurprisingly one day it just cracked apart and poored water all over my PC's innards. Everything was sprayed. PC shurtdown immediately.

...but it was de-ionsied water and straight up everything survived! :ROFLMAO:

So I guess the lesson here is don't use sweat as a coolant?

A friend of mine in high school killed 2 boards before realizing that he needed to install mother board standoffs.

Also, don't work on components that still have power applied. :)

I am very guilty of PC work with power applied. Meh.

Back