desperate help need! psp and linksys wrt54g related!

silvur

n00b
alright, i apologize for being a n00b, but i'm in a big problem. yesterday i purchased a linksys wrt54g wireless router. after about 3 hours of trying to get it set up, i finally succeeded and now i am on using it. so, now i try taking a step forward and i try using my psp to connect to the router. it finds the signal easily, but it cannot get an internet connection. it gives me the error, "80410D09". i tried googling it, and i get results, including one linking me to these threads (how i got here), but nothing worked. i tried using wep, which i am doing now, and it still is giving me that same error. as far as i know, i'm not using any mac filtering. i just upgraded the firmware to 3.3.something and it's still not working and it is driving me insane. one of the main reasons i purchased the router was so i could go online with my psp and in the future my nintendo ds. i'm going crazy here! someone, please help me!

edit: infact, i was using mac filtering but i am permiting the psp's mac address to access however it is still giving me the same error. i also have a 10 digit wep enabled and have everything copied down exactly right. however, i am still getting the same error.

the only idea i have that might be the problem is the authentification type. i have the options of selecting "shared" and "auto" but i read that when you switched it to "open", it should work. the only problem is, i only have the option of selecting "shared" and "auto". :(

so that you may rule out wep as a cause of the problem, disable encryption and any mac filtering. if you succeed in connection, enable them one by one and see if you can find what causes it to fail.

BriguyNJ said:
so that you may rule out wep as a cause of the problem, disable encryption and any mac filtering. if you succeed in connection, enable them one by one and see if you can find what causes it to fail.

Ditto.

Take a look at the "Basic Wireless Settings," and see if your router is operating in "Mixed" signal mode (both B & G). If you're only allowing only G than that may be your problem, as the PSP has built in 802.11b.

Edit: Check to make sure the PSP is operating on the same channel as well.

the thing is, i'm getting a signal... 100%. the problem is, it says "internet connection: failed"

cmputrnrd4lif said:
Ditto.

Take a look at the "Basic Wireless Settings," and see if your router is operating in "Mixed" signal mode (both B & G). If you're only allowing only G than that may be your problem, as the PSP has built in 802.11b.

Edit: Check to make sure the PSP is operating on the same channel as well.

i have the router operating at channel 6. since i'm using infrastructure mode on the psp, it doesn't specify any channels (1, 6, 11). if i selected ad-hoc mode, it would allow me to specify one of the previously 3 mentioned channels, but that is only for connecting directly to another psp, i believe.

also, i have disabled mac filtering and wep and put them on and off in all the patterns i could think. no luck. i'm beggining to think i'll never be able to get on. things like this always happen to me. :(

now that i have connected with the router, it gives me the error "80431068" which i assume means it gets connected to the router, but for some reason cannot get connected to the internet. when i test connection, it says everything is fine, signal 100%, but internet connection: "failed".... might this have something to do with me being a member of america online?

silvur said:
now that i have connected with the router, it gives me the error "80431068" which i assume means it gets connected to the router, but for some reason cannot get connected to the internet. when i test connection, it says everything is fine, signal 100%, but internet connection: "failed".... might this have something to do with me being a member of america online?

TIME OUT.

What exactly are you using for an ISP?. Dial up AOL? If thats the case, your SOL buddy. Dial up isn't gonna give you the ability to get out through the internet with the WRT54G.

no, i'm using aol with a cable modem. both the modem and the router are on this computer. the modem is plugged into the internet jack for the router and the computer is plugged into port one of the router. the internet on the computer works just fine (however, it loses connection whenever i go into my routers settings to mess around to fix the psp).

*shudders and pukes*

AOL Broadband....., ok *deep breath* this outa be interesting. What model and type is the modem and is it CABLE or DSL broadband?

i assume it is cable since i am on a cable modem (go ahead and laugh at me). the modem is a motorola sb5100 surfboard cable modem.

i = screwed :(

silvur said:
i assume it is cable since i am on a cable modem (go ahead and laugh at me). the modem is a motorola sb5100 surfboard cable modem.

i = screwed :(

Hmm ok, so its not a POS modem. Basically ASSUMING that AOL is giving you a DHCP'ed IP address, you need to setup the Linksys WAN port to accept DHCP IP's. I would then forget the wireless for the meantime and then hookup a machine using an ethernet cable to make sure your able to get out on the internet before screwing with the wireless.

I am not familiar with AOL's broadband *thank God* so there may be some variables in here. Do you need to load up their software before you can do anything when you boot the machine or can you go right out to the internet using IE/Firefox?

IceWind said:
Hmm ok, so its not a POS modem. Basically ASSUMING that AOL is giving you a DHCP'ed IP address, you need to setup the Linksys WAN port to accept DHCP IP's. I would then forget the wireless for the meantime and then hookup a machine using an ethernet cable to make sure your able to get out on the internet before screwing with the wireless.

I am not familiar with AOL's broadband *thank God* so there may be some variables in here. Do you need to load up their software before you can do anything when you boot the machine or can you go right out to the internet using IE/Firefox?

first paragraph: i have no idea what the means (hits my n00bish head). if you mean that you reccommend using the ethernet cable as opposed to a usb cable, i did that yesterday. everything is ethernet when it comes to the router/cable modem.

second paragraph: nope, i have to load aol and sign on before i can access a page via ie/firefox. :(

silvur said:
second paragraph: nope, i have to load aol and sign on before i can access a page via ie/firefox. :(

Sigh.....AOL is still gay to this day apparantly. :rolleyes:

Ok lets get one thing set straight first. Basically, you have been able to hook up the Linksys and be able to get on the internet through the Linksys using your PC itself?

Heres a diagram

=====Cable line=======> [Cable modem]======>[WRT54G]======>[Computer]

IceWind said:
Sigh.....AOL is still gay to this day apparantly. :rolleyes:

Ok lets get one thing set straight first. Basically, you have been able to hook up the Linksys and be able to get on the internet through the Linksys using your PC itself?

Heres a diagram

=====Cable line=======> [Cable modem]======>[WRT54G]======>[Computer]

yep... that's how it is right now. internet works fine on the computer. the psp finds the router but it can't establish an internet connection.

silvur said:
yep... that's how it it right now.

Mkay, then lets proceed with one of the most fundemental steps in PC History

K. KEEP
I. IT
S. SIMPLE
S. STUPID

Basically, lets not add a bunch of variables to the equation with WEP, Mac filtering, blah blah....lets just get the PSP CONNECTED and forget the security crap for now.

Im not familiar with the PSP's wireless settings and configuration but it should be pretty straightforward like any wireless widget. Simply go into the menu of Linksys and go into the Wireless portion.

Setup a SSID like *PSPGAME* or something like that.
DO NOT disable SSID broadcast, leave it on.
Do not do MAC filtering, WEP, WPA or any of that junk for now.
Be sure DHCP server is enabled so that devices attached to the wireless network can get their IP settings automatically. This is in another portion of the Linksys menu.

Look at your PSP's manual to see if there is anything specific they want done in order to attach to a wireless network, I don't got one so thats gonna have to be your job.

IceWind said:
Be sure DHCP server is enabled so that devices attached to the wireless network can get their IP settings automatically. This is in another portion of the Linksys menu.

i am sure about everything being disabled except how to configure that.

edit: found it. it is enabled.

when it comes to getting into the wireless network, it has an easy function which automatically retrives ip info and all that from the router onto the psp. here, i'll type what i see on the psp screen:

"connection name: connection 1
ssid: silvur
encryption: none
ip address: automatic
subnet mast: automatic
default router: automatic
primary dns: automatic
secondary dns: automatic
proxy server: do not use"

after this window, i hit "test connection" and the following comes up after about 10 seconds:
"connection name: connection 1
signal strength: 100%
ssid: silvur
bssid: numbers and letter i'm not sure if i should diclose
channel: 6
encryption: none
ip address: 192.168.1.101
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default router: 192.168.1.1
primary dns: 24.25.4.107
secondary dns: 24.25.4.108
mac address: numbers
proxy server: do not use
internet connection: failed"

the numbers match up, so i know it is talking to the router and such, but i cannot get an internet connection sent to the psp, even though i am online on the computer and the router and the psp seem to be having a friendly conversation.

Hmmm ok so there talking with eachother so thats all good but the no internet worries me.
Either

A. AOL has some gay firmware loaded on that cable modem which prevents multiple connections

B. Something still isn't right with the PSP settings

C. PSP's or Linksys wireless is broken.

If it were me, I'd get a friend with a laptop or another machine with wireless to see if it can attach and get out. If it cannot, then either AOL is preventing multiple machine access or the Linksys wireless is broken.

Now you see why AOL sucks so hard.

oh, i know why aol sucks so hard. if it turns out to be aol, i'm going to be so let down. one of the main reasons i purchased the psp and ds was for online gameplay. i mean, anyone should be entitled to it. i don't know anyone with a laptop or anything, so i think i might go ahead and assume aol being behind this. :(

i think i should call aol and ask them about this, but i'll feel stupid, because they'll be like, "what is a psp? oh you gotta call sony for that." then i'll call sony, they'll tell me to call linksys, they'll tell me to call aol, and it's a circus from there. :(

there is a barnes and noble near my house with wifi activation. if i can connect via its wifi, would that prove that aol is behind this 100%?

silvur said:
oh, i know why aol sucks so hard. if it turns out to be aol, i'm going to be so let down. one of the main reasons i purchased the psp and ds was for online gameplay. i mean, anyone should be entitled to it. i don't know anyone with a laptop or anything, so i think i might go ahead and assume aol being behind this. :(

i think i should call aol and ask them about this, but i'll feel stupid, because they'll be like, "what is a psp? oh you gotta call sony for that." then i'll call sony, they'll tell me to call linksys, they'll tell me to call aol, and it's a circus from there. :(

there is a barnes and noble near my house with wifi activation. if i can connect via its wifi, would that prove that aol is behind this 100%?

Saldy, good luck getting AOL to understand what you wanna do, there tech support is a joke and will give you the run around. Honestly if I was in your position, i'd start eliminating possiblities which is what I do at my job all the time. Meaning...

A. Go get a desktop wireless card and see if it can attach and get out. If it can't, then you pretty much gaurentee either the Linksys is bad or AOL is blocking. Buy the card from a store you can return it later on. If it DOES get out, then you have either a screwed up setting on the PSP or the PSP is defective.

B. Yeah, try to attach to another WAP to make sure the wireless is working on the PSP, just to eliminate the possiblity its defective. If it does work, then AOL is either blocking or the wireless still arn't right with the PSP and the Linksys.

i actually purchased a receiver for my other computer which also has aol. i'm going to hook it up now. i have a bad feeling it isn't going to work, and an even worse feeling aol is up to no good.

silvur said:
i actually purchased a receiver for my other computer which also has aol. i'm going to hook it up now. i have a bad feeling it isn't going to work, and an even worse feeling aol is up to no good.

The idea is to confirm or deny that.

I completely agree with trying to keep it simple as possible first, just to establish connectivity. However, I can't help but wonder if he needs to forward any ports. I'm surfin' the sony forums and a few people have mentioned forwarding the 6000-7000 UDP range. Don't know where those numbers are coming from, but it may be worth enabling Port Triggering on the router.

Sounds like you're up to the task of trying just about any measure possible. So log into your router and navigate to the "Games and Applications" tab. You should see "Port Triggering" (if you have the latest firmware version). In the port range, type 6000 into the first field, then 7000 in the next. Click the check mark to the right which indicates the trigger is enabled. Then, apply, and try accessing the Internet again. BTW, I'm not at home, so I don't have access to my WRT54G. Hopefully, I gave you the correction instructions, as I'm reciting from memory.

Also, there are rumors (not substantiated) that AOL does not: A) support the PSP at all, B) support multiple pieces of hardware connecting at one single time. Don't know the validity of any of those rumors, but will keep researching and hopefully find a solution to fix your problem.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you'll need to specify "UDP" as the protocol you want forwarded, not TCP.

i am actually posting on those boards about the same problem. i tried that 6000-7000 thing and it doesn't work! i read about people with aol saying they got on. i really don't understand what is wrong.

Only other thing that comes to mind is disabling the router's firewall. This of course opens you up to viruses, hackers, etc, so it's your call. If you decide to try it, at least enable Windows built-in firewall, or grab a 3rd party firewall.

Besides that, I'm out of ideas. Good luck though.

alright, i might have a break in this case.

i called aol and asked if their cable service can be used for the psp. the guy said something like this:
"the psp, xbox, and ps2 cannot be used with aol's cable service because aol's cable service uses a special kind of signal that only allows you to browse the web once you sign onto aol. these gaming systems require a signal that is on all the time, not just when you sign onto aol. roadrunner is the signal you need. aol is planning to flip over on the road runner signal within the next few months. however, if you wish to take advantage of the signal right now, you can by cancelling your aol cable service and keep your aol dial up service for 9.99. call timewarner and ask for their cable service for like 29.99 for the first six months and you can use aol on that signal and keep all of your aol names, etc. it actually ends up being 4-5 bucks cheaper than what you are paying right now."

so, i did all of the above, and now they will be coming on saturday to set up an entire network in my house for free with the roadrunner signal. they said i can take back my current router and such since their home networking services provide everything i need.

do you think this is the answer i and all of the aolers looking to play online the psp have been looking for?

Ditching AOL has always been the answer. You'll be much happier with RoadRunner, trust me.

well, i'm still using aol technically... as i keep all of my screen names and run on it's interface. according to that guy, i'll just be using a roadrunner single.

If you have to use special software and log on to aol to make the pc see the internet, it only makes sense that any other device trying to connect to the internet would need similar applications running.

[H]eckel said:
If you have to use special software and log on to aol to make the pc see the internet, it only makes sense that any other device trying to connect to the internet would need similar applications running.
well i was just going to point out that.. he was saying that to surf the net he has to login instead of just opening up firefox/IE and surf straight away...
so it wouldn't make sense if you dont have the same software (or somekind of software) to login with ur PSP........
unless you can make it set up so that with ur current connection all you need to do to surf the net is turn on ur computer and open IE/Firefox and it works.

Back