Desktop Vitualization? Citrix? Terminals?

rayoc79

Gawd
Ok, here's my situation. Please go easy on this newb.

My company puts on classes and we want to have a computer for each seat. I don't want to purchase 24 separate computers and would like to use a technology that I haven't used before so that I can learn and ultimately impress my boss. I don't want to deal with a major cable mess as well. How would I go about doing this? I guess what I envision is at each seat be a mouse, keyboard and monitor connecting to a virtual desktop. Or is what I am thinking of more like a Citrix environment with terminals.

I don't even feel like I am using the correct terminology... :(

P.S. When I use to work at Balley's Total Fitness, they had a set up like this before. I believe it was a Citrix environment. Keyboard, mouse, monitor connected to cables that came from the wall. I can't remember seeing anything else. This is why I have this vision of what I want, but don't know how to build it from page 1.

Thanks.

There are numerous different options you could use. On the server side, you could use Terminal Server. An even more robust option (Enterprise Level) is a VMware Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.

The second half would be accessing the system. Wise makes a number of Windows Embeded devices that run XP Embedded and have a RDC client.

All of this can get pretty expensive though. You are however unbinding users from a given piece of hardware. In the end you have a more scalable, easier to manage solution. That is what you are paying for.

Wow. Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the Wyse website and view their PDF's and various datasheets. They have a trial program. I think I might set myself up on that and get a unit sent to me.

I guess my first step would be to take our test server and make sure Terminal Services is set up.

Thanks again.

Do these thin clients rely more on the performance on the terminal server since they have low specs on them?...

They're essentially glorified RDC machines. All the work is really done on the server. So a beefy machine is needed depending on the amount of users per host and what exactly they're running application wise. (no pun)

Do these thin clients rely more on the performance on the terminal server since they have low specs on them?...

pretty nooby question AMD_RULES, i wouldn't have expected that from you... look up terminal servers... pretty much EVERYTHING is done on the server...that is the point... the thin client is pretty much only for interaction with the user... monitor for output and a bunch of USB ports for a kb and mouse... nicer ones have a few more USB ports or audio ins-outs... the only work for the cpu and mem is to convert these on the fly from the network traffic to the ts server

basically a specialized computer whose only purpose is to "remote login" to a central server

you may want to check out neoware also, hp just recently bought them. I use them at work. They also have an admin console to push out connection files and property files to lock them down so no changes can be made.

Neoware, +1

What the OP is describing fits exactly a Thin client environment.

Next question to the OP, what specifically, are you wanting to run in the training class? Are the Apps needed compatible with a TS environment? All the basic MS stuff is, Office/Outlook, etc.

When you boil everything down to a final cost, In a TS environment all you are doing is shaving some hardware cost off of each desktop, but spending more on a server that's beefy enough to handle virtualizing 24 separate desktops. Normally all software licensing remains the same.

Neoware, +1

What the OP is describing fits exactly a Thin client environment.

Next question to the OP, what specifically, are you wanting to run in the training class? Are the Apps needed compatible with a TS environment? All the basic MS stuff is, Office/Outlook, etc.

Thats the thing, my boss told me that I might have only 4 weeks to set this up. We are putting on a class that once you complete it, you will ultimately need to pass a test for certification. I'm not being given any concrete details, but we have to set up a LMS and I don't know if it will be an software app ran on a server internally or if it will be web-based internally.

The class is only being put on for 6 months but will generate revenue for us like no other...thats they main reason I don't want to buy 24 desktop computers to not use ever again since all of my users have laptops already. If we were to do that, we would just gift them to the employees I guess...

I've heard citrix is pretty expensive. Might want to check out Terminal Services in Windows Server. (Well windows is expensive too :p, but if you are good with linux you could give LTSP a try)

Thats the thing, my boss told me that I might have only 4 weeks to set this up. We are putting on a class that once you complete it, you will ultimately need to pass a test for certification. I'm not being given any concrete details, but we have to set up a LMS and I don't know if it will be an software app ran on a server internally or if it will be web-based internally.

The class is only being put on for 6 months but will generate revenue for us like no other...thats they main reason I don't want to buy 24 desktop computers to not use ever again since all of my users have laptops already. If we were to do that, we would just gift them to the employees I guess...

And your boss can't give you any specifics about the system? Or are they still evaluating which system to go with? Any Web-based LMS's should be an issue. IE doesn't have a problem in a TS environment. Also with Server 2008 you can publish Specific Apps as well, not just a pre-loaded desktop.

At least back it up with some experiences.

Ditto to your comment. One of my customers is a compnay that owns 10 Napa auto parts stores in the area. All inventory related tasks use Wyse terminal with XP embedded. We never have any issues with them.

Ditto to your comment. One of my customers is a compnay that owns 10 Napa auto parts stores in the area. All inventory related tasks use Wyse terminal with XP embedded. We never have any issues with them.
They worked good at my last company. A little laggy but they were 4-5 year old thin clients on a Win2k server on its last legs. It ran Citrix MetaFrame. Which is sweet software.

I have been looking into the VMWare solution. Sounds like a rock solid concept. I love there VMWare Server and VMWare Player products. Wish I could go with ESX, but its a bit costly.

Our company uses them extensively. Something like $600. Then you need to mount it to an LCD. They come with a base load, boot into write mode, make some changes (not much drive space - no hard drive), commit the changes. They run XP Embedded I think. For the price they are a rip, however they are really small and get the job done.

By the way, Citrix is pretty damn expensive. Don't have good numbers to back that up though...

By the way, Citrix is pretty damn expensive. Don't have good numbers to back that up though...
Yes it is. I cant recall how much my last company paid for the new presentation server install. The server was cheap compared to the software. Buts its worth it. Saved us, techs, on so many issues. Works great for the mobile users. Plus even over slow internets its just like being at the office.

Back