Desktop Trinity Soon, or Am I Dreaming?

JohnnyH24

Weaksauce
Just checked my local Microcenter's stock online and they dropped the price of the A8-3870K to 89.99, but they don't have any FM1 motherboards. Would have been a nice weekend project.

I don't if I should get excited about Trinity or not. It's seems strange a sudden disappearance of Llano models and boards, but I've been burned before waiting on Trinity - thank you very much AMD.

I had issues with Bulldozer, but if the A10 5800k runs like an i3 2100, I'll be very pleased.

$89 is a nice price, but what would you do with it. i bought mine at release thinking it might be a decent overclocker but i was wrong. i ended up using it for bitcoin mining, its nice the APU can add another 70mh/sec but it hardly makes a difference.

$89 is a nice price, but what would you do with it. i bought mine at release thinking it might be a decent overclocker but i was wrong. i ended up using it for bitcoin mining, its nice the APU can add another 70mh/sec but it hardly makes a difference.

If it was this price 6 months ago, I probably would've bite. But even then, the future was clearly FM2 and Trinity.

I guess Staples broke street date because I just had a customer bring in an HP with an A8-5500 in it that he wanted a video card put in.

Speaking of which I have seen the a10 in a retain HP tower in the local paper flyer... must be taking time to clean out the channel of old fm1 stuff. But at $89 (newegg.com has this with a coupon) and a mitx motherboard you could do some damage on the cheap (well an e350 anyway ).

I guess Staples broke street date because I just had a customer bring in an HP with an A8-5500 in it that he wanted a video card put in.

I think OP is referring to desktop trinity (am3+) without graphics and with L3 cache. Oh I see. OEMs are shipping Trinity machines, but we can't buy the parts individually yet. Like how Dell has an oem stranglehold on GT640 cards with GDDR5+display port.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
im interested in why AMD hasnt released it to the public yet. or maybe they are trying to limit supply so that they dont end up with truckloads of Llanos and end up giving them away like they did at quakecon.

Don't companies like Intel and AMD release to OEMs first then to the consumers after?
(Well, I assume server processors are the same thing-- educational, government institutions, and businesses and companies first before individuals for personal use.)

I'm sure people will be able to buy desktop Trinity APUs once OEM companies get a head start on manufacturing computers using them. It's purely from a business perspective.

Remember: Most consumers can't build a computer themselves. They'd rather buy it premade.

Don't companies like Intel and AMD release to OEMs first then to the consumers after?
(Well, I assume server processors are the same thing-- educational, government institutions, and businesses and companies first before individuals for personal use.)

I'm sure people will be able to buy desktop Trinity APUs once OEM companies get a head start on manufacturing computers using them. It's purely from a business perspective.

Remember: Most consumers can't build a computer themselves. They'd rather buy it premade.

If there is a gap between offering a cpu to OEMs and the general public, it usually isn't six months. The only other time I can think of a gap this large is when Apple got some Intel exclusive releases.

I guess times really have changed for AMD - they used to rely on hobbyists to generate buzz; now their products are sitting anonymously at the bottom of an OEMs product lineup.

-ok, maybe their Trinity processors sit in the middle of HPs all-in-one lineup sandwiched between Intel offerings sporting crappy gpus and the 23-1000z doesn't look half bad, but any of us could build better for less.

[edit] I take that back, the 23-1000z is pretty bad.

Gap? I don't think the A10-5800K or A8-5600K are offered anywhere in any pre-built PC yet ... (the 2 that would probably be of any interest around here)

I dont think its anything to get excited over. it will be like a slightly more powerful FX-4120 with mediocre graphics onboard.

It's interesting that the A10-5700 (3.4 GHz) and A10-5800K (3.8 GHz) are the same price. I would assume, if following Intel's pricing trend, the unlocked processor and higher clocked one would cost more. But, if this pricing is true, then AMD didn't follow that trend and priced them the same.

The A10-5700 is clocked slower, and has a lower TDP. You pay *more* to get -nearly- the same performance in a 65w TDP, and you pay *less* because it's locked. Hence, they are the same price.

AMD is basically targeting one processor at OEMs and the other at enthusiasts (who tend to care a bit less about power and more about performance/overclocking). And if this is like their past releases, expect only the 100w parts to be available in retail.

Back