• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Desktop speaker stand recommendations?

HFL

n00b
Joined
Mar 12, 2011
Messages
2
I really like the audio 'sound positioning' I get when gaming with my headphones, but I find my ears get fatigued (and warm!) pretty quickly even at lower volumes.

My 2.1 speaker set-up sounds great, I'm just wondering if I can get better sound positioning from them if I lift them off the desktop to ear level, say about mid-way up either side of my monitor.

See my current set-up below:

CIMG7438.jpg


(speakers are JB3's, hooked up to a VirtueTwo 2 amp and DacMagic, monitor is a HP 27", sub, pc and xbox are under the desk)

I've read a lot of other posts on this forum that says lifting the speakers off the desk works well for this, is this true?

Can anyone recommend some good, sleek, 'desktop' speaker stands to me? HeadRoom had a set for $500, they dont seem to be sellign them anymore.

Not sure how much to fork out, would $200-300 be reasonable for a quality well made set?

Maybe something like a sound studio would use for near-field listing monitors.
 
I'm not sure you'll get better sound positioning but they'll definitely sound better. Making your own isn't difficult at all, even with simple tools, low quality wood, and a bit of stain.

Here's what I did: http://www.flickr.com/photos/evaaannnn/5479617877/

http://i.imgur.com/qZRKC.jpg

They're not perfect but they all together I think I spent $5. I'd definitely recommend making your own over spending that much on something so simple if you can.
 
Busdriver and gorb, thanks for the responses and links!

The Mopads and short wooden stands look good however I was hopeing for something, somehow maybe more stylish, like a designer type of stand to pimp up my desktop.

The Headroom set maybe the ticket, maybe I can pick up a cheaper set on eBay.
 
I've seen some classy metal & wood ones built using Ikea parts too, and they're pretty damned cheap if you want to go that route.
 
Those are pretty pricey, but nice. You can get rubber/cork things just like those isoblocks for much cheaper though, but I'd have to check my bookmarks at home.
 
On the other, more ghetto end of the spectrum, here's what I use to get my PC speakers up to ear level-

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036659914&postcount=59

I use bits of Blu-Tack between the speakers and the CD holders, and the CD holders and the desk. I'm also rather fussy about the way my speakers are setup, and this keeps everything dialed in nice and solid. In other words, if my son bumps into my desk, nothing moves. :)

I'm a huge fan of getting my speakers up at a good level. Seems to help with stereo imaging and the overall soundstage.
 
HFL, that's one nice setup. I should know, I had a Virtue Two paired with the JB3s. One of the better desktop systems I've heard. I kept the JB3s.

It really helps to get the driver at ear level. I went the DIY route. I was fortunate enough to find a nice old butcher block that I was able to make into stands. Then used Herbie Audio speaker feet. Worked really well for me.
 
Back
Top