"desktop" racks

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
I am going to do some studying for my Cisco Certs this summer and I am gonna try to get a couple used routers and switches to study with. So instead of just stacking them on top of one another I was going to try to find an inexpensive rack that isn't too tall and that I could sit on some free desk space. So if anyone has any recommendations that would be great. I found this one after a good amount of googleing.
http://cableorganizer.com/computer-cabinets/great-lakes/wall-mount-swing-open-rack-gl.htm

I am looking at the smaller one. Its 12U, 23.75"H x 20.75"W x 18"D. I thought most racks are 19" wide but maybe I am wrong on that. For just a few switches anyone think this would be a good investment? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

metallicafan said:
I thought most racks are 19" wide

Yes, 19" is the standard. Pretty much anything you buy that is "rack mountable" will be set up for a 19" rack.

Just last week I put in 5 of those wallmount racks (the cables to go ones) and have one sitting on my desk. They are great, the only problem I have with them is that as soon as you put your battery backup on the bottom the thing wont' open anymore. Not a huge deal for my uses but just something to keep in mind.

you bought the ones that I linked or a different rack? If a different one could you please give me a link. Good to hear you had a good experience with this type of product. Thanks.

metallicafan said:
you bought the ones that I linked or a different rack? If a different one could you please give me a link. Good to hear you had a good experience with this type of product. Thanks.

Here is a link to the one I have been using: http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2233&sku=16128

However, the cableorganizer.com 19" rack might actually work better if you are going to set it on a desk since it has the back brace bar that connects the 2 back mount plates.

Thanks for the link. It also looks like a nice rack. It is slightly more expensive but it says that it is made of 12 gauge steel whereas the one i linked is made of 12, 14, and 16 gauge steel.

How study it the one thats sitting on your desk? It doesnt really matter to me if it opens and closes or not.

Thanks Ronco - I'll take a look at that. If anyone has any other suggestions those are welcome as well.

i got 50 screws for my rack at sweetwater for like 8 bucks shipped. They have racks i think too. Routers are cheap either, so keep that in mind. I guess to me 200 is a lot but i have a l3 2948 switch i got from work that i dont even mess with.

Back