Desktop item removel

darktiger

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2007
Okay I have something on my desktop that cannot be removed...I have tried to delete it, gone into safe mode and tried to delete there, I have stopped alot of programs running in the background, and it keeps telling me it is in use...But I have the bare minimum services/tasks running.......How do I delete it, is there some software that helps me find what is using this file???

There is a program called "wholockme" out there that can tell you what's keeping a program open. It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

What you might want to do is close the explorer process and then navigate to the file from DOS. Theoretically, that should take care of whatever is holding the file open.

Also, a third-party program that runs outside of the Windows environment might help out as well. I've had great success with BartPE; many people will also suggest using a bootable version of Linux.

if you have your windows cd handy, boot into console recovery (not repair) mode and delete it.

darkpark said:
if you have your windows cd handy, boot into console recovery (not repair) mode and delete it.

That's why I install the Recovery Console on all my systems, so I don't need to find my CD to boot from.

arkamw said:
There is a program called "wholockme" out there that can tell you what's keeping a program open. It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

What you might want to do is close the explorer process and then navigate to the file from DOS. Theoretically, that should take care of whatever is holding the file open.

Also, a third-party program that runs outside of the Windows environment might help out as well. I've had great success with BartPE; many people will also suggest using a bootable version of Linux.
I've never had to do anything other than what he said when deleting something. End as many processes you can, especially explorer, and try to delete it in the command prompt. Always works for me.

Back