Desktop icons disappear, momentary freeze, screen refreshes

Gold

Limp Gawd
I have a problem in Windows XP which is really annoying, If I click and open folders on my hard drive or just icons from my desktop (not always) it freaks out sometimes.. my system will temporarily freeze,the desktop icons will disappear (not the wallpaper), the screen will refresh, the icons reappear and things will work normally but sometimes when it does that I lose some of the windows I had open. I have ruled out a virus and or spyware/adware with software that checks for that, hopefully there is a fix for this annoyance although it don't happen as often.

That would be explorer.exe crashing and restarting. Kind of hard to say what's causing it as there are a bajillion reasons for it, and we know nothing of your system. If it's only when you're opening folders, it may be hanging up because of network drives that can't be found. Other than that, it could be drivers, unstable programs, etc.
First though, run Windows update and get everything patched. Then make sure you have all the latest drivers. See if that helps.

A good virus scan and adware cleaning can't hurt either. For adware get spybot and ad-aware (Google search for them, dont forget to update before scanning).

It definately sounds like explorer crashing. Probably missing some icons from the icon tray on the bottom right of the screen too, right?

Also, check the event log right after the crash happens (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event log) and look for any red (Error) or yellow (Warning) alerts, Probably under applications, maybe under system. See if that helps you at all.

Let us know what you find.

You might check to see if you have Active Desktop on, this might have something to do with it...

but for the most part S1nF1xx is right on...

Just go to Start>All Programs and run Windows Update. Install all the critical updates, and any in the Windows section that you want or need.

Back