Desktop HDD recommendations?

FenFox

Limp Gawd
So, I'm wondering what you guys recommend for high capacity desktop storage? Maybe a top 3?

I have a spare 10 TB WD RED that I was going to use for my NAS, but I'm thinking of maybe using it for my desktop instead. However, It's only 5400 RPM and I don't see why I should want anything less than 7200 RPM in a desktop environment.

I plan on transferring large files to this drive/doing a lot of uploading and installing my Steam library on it, which is where the 5400 RPM may be disappointing. On the other hand, It's a NAS drive so it should be able to handle the high workload I'm going to throw at it.

I have 2 other hard drives in my PC and an SSD. I was considered WD Blacks, but they only go up to 6 TB according to Western Digital's website and of course, they're one of the most noisy drives around

How much storage are you needing total and does it need redundancy?
You could always go with two or more smaller 2-3 TB disks in a raid 0 to combat the workload, software or mobo built in.

How much storage are you needing total and does it need redundancy?
You could always go with two or more smaller 2-3 TB disks in a raid 0 to combat the workload, software or mobo built in.

It's just a single drive for my desktop computer.
8-10 TB minimum.
I don't need RAID.

Buy a Micron 1100 2TB, and place the OS/Programs and the games you really still play, and move everything else to WD RED. Now if 2tb is not enough for you, and you have money to burn, then consider Samsung 860 EVO 4TB

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Buy a Micron 1100 2TB, and place the OS/Programs and the games you really still play, and move everything else to WD RED. Now if 2tb is not enough for you, and you have money to burn, then consider Samsung 860 EVO 4TB

Thanks for the suggestion. Why Micron 2 TB over a Samsung 2 TB? Just cheaper? How is Micron compared to Samsung?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Afaik, micron/crucial are considered on par with Samsung and either should be fine and one is usually advised to buy whichever of those is cheapest do note that micron drives are OEM, Retail is under the crucial brand name.

Afaik, micron/crucial are considered on par with Samsung and either should be fine and one is usually advised to buy whichever of those is cheapest do note that micron drives are OEM, Retail is under the crucial brand name.

Oh, so Micron made it, but It's marketed/sold under the name "Crucial"

Oh, so Micron made it, but It's marketed/sold under the name "Crucial"
Micron is one the big three manufacturer of NAD/Memory, but usually you dont see Micron branded SSDs, their retail brands are Crucial among others, you see micron more on OEM, this ssd is breaking the price barrier imo, ideal for someone like you that has a huge library and may or not want to spend the premium into a samsung 4tb ssd. I own more than 20 ssds, and i would buy either with confidence, its more to decide how much are you willing to spend and how much storage you would really need for your setup.

Samsung you tend to pay extra for the name, they have better performing high end drives, but on the base products they're pretty much equivalent in reliability and speed to Crucial.
I can't vouch for either's support, haven't had either brands fail on me to need to RMA (nor WD or Intel).

If I had to choose one drive, it would be that Micron 1100 but why not take advantage of one of the greatest strengths desktops have over laptops and use another bay for bulk data? A step further, two smaller (240GB) SSDs with one in a tiered storage space and whatever mechanical you desire (even the WD Red)? If cost is ever a big concern, I am a huge proponent of tiered volumes. Works particularly well with VHDs for VMs..

That is insanely cheap for a 2tb ssd (but then again I just checked on how much they are now and its not as cheap as it could be)

In uk ebay can get 2tb mx300, mx500(£325), SanDisk ultra (£285 one off, and and £345) or samsung 860 (£340) for less then the micron 1100 (£355) that has no official support

The days when things like that was over £1000 (nvme ssds are still in the sky money wise )

Back