Desktop died...some help please!

Yz388

Limp Gawd
This desktop was working fine..then all of a sudden it stopped loading icons on desktop, then i restarted the pc, and everythimg i would try to log in to xp, it would restart the computer.

Now when i turn the pc on, the monitor stays black. I then decided to reformatt because i was going to eventually anyways and it would not let me. It said maybe a damaged disk. Now nothing loads...and no more beep from the computer. There use to be 1 beep. What should i check or replace? The monitor just stays in sleep mode...

Please let me know what i can check so i can order what i need and get this working asap again.

Thanks again everyone, happy holidays

amd 2800
radeon 9600 (no onboard video)
onboard sound
pc2700 kingston 2.512

Try to check to see if system will post with a new power supply, or maybe the motherboards going south?

hmm, sounds like a memory problem to me. Can you by chance run Memtest86? Also, when did you get an error about a bad disk? during winxp installation or format? It might also be a bad hard drive.

I cant run memtest because there is no os installed as of now.

The error came up when i was trying to install windows xp..at the end it said it probably wont work maybe due to a bad disk..not cd. I tried xp home and pro

The 2800 is not overclocked, and the motherboard is fairly new as is the rest of the computer ( a year?)

Everything turns on, spins, makes noise..but nothing happens, like the cable isent even hooked into the vid card.

memtest runs from a bootable CD, you don't need an OS to run it.

Do the disks work in other computers? If they do, you could be looking at a bad optical drive or possibly bad cables.

unhook hard drive power and ribbon cable, or sata cable and see if the computer boots, if so then the drive has gone bad, run diagnostics and or just replace. If the OS would not let you reformat then almost surely that is the issue. Good luck.

Is the HD making any odd noises or anything? What brand is it also?

yes hd is making a strange noise now, like a ball being bounced in a metal can, kinda..

alright ill try that later on

Thanks alot everyone, ill update later

Yz388 said:
yes hd is making a strange noise now, like a ball being bounced in a metal can, kinda..

alright ill try that later on

Thanks alot everyone, ill update later

Yeah, it sounds like you've got a paperweight now, unfortunately...

Alright, i tried booting it up without hd connected, and still nothing

Everything is spinning, cd room opens, but the monitor just stays in powersave mode.

Next step should be memtest, correct?

Or could i just swap other memory that i know works in there?

What steps can i do to narrow down this problem?

ya man if your hard drive is making noise like that then pitch it and get a new one, thats your problem

If the hardrive is my problem, wouldent taking it out and disconnecting the ide cable fix that? Or at least have the pc show somthing other than a black screen?

With and without the hardrive connected, nothing happens on the monitor

Disconnect everything from the motherboard except the processor/HSF, power, memory, and the wires that go to the power switch/LEDs up front (leave the video card in if you don't have onboard video). If it still gives you a blank screen when you turn it on, turn it off and remove the video card. Boot it up again and listen for the POST beep(s). If you hear nothing, shut down and remove the RAM. Try again. If you're still getting nothing, it can be the power supply, CPU or motherboard.

Before i read zlite's post, i tried again today. I tried another video card without hd hooked up, and it worked. So then i tried old video card, and it worked? Then connected hd to see if that will work and nothing. So i dissconnected hd again, and now nothing.

This does not make any sense.

Tried new psu, did not help.

So this leaves processor and mobo...how can i check these?

Yz388 said:
Before i read zlite's post, i tried again today. I tried another video card without hd hooked up, and it worked. So then i tried old video card, and it worked? Then connected hd to see if that will work and nothing. So i dissconnected hd again, and now nothing.

This does not make any sense.

This + previous post about the HD making noise makes it sound like its an HD problem. Try replacing the hard drive with your original config. If that doesn't work, swap out vid card, etc.

Back