Desktop Corruption

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
On the latest drivers, I am getting a lot of desktop graphical corruption. I reformatted last night for shits and giggles, and it is still doing it.

f0rCTCj.jpg

It does the black bars a lot, as well as completed garbling windows. Hell, this morning, one of my monitors was completed black when I moved the mouse until i highlighted the whole thing.

It's mainly just annoying, and it only does it on the desktop, not in games. Both 780s are nice and cool, no overheating.

Any ideas?

bumping this, still persists after a reformat. It seems to only happen after the monitors have been turned off for extended periods, like overnight.

They're all good, primary OCZ O/S drive is started to get pretty old though, may end up replacing that soon.

The weird thing is that it only does it with the monitors being off for a long time. I have the screensaver set to 5 mins, and the monitors to go out after 15. If they have been off for a few minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, it's fine. But overnight is when the corruption happens.

I guess it could be the OCZ failing, but I would imagine that I would see some other signs than that...

Actually, it might be the OCZ drive failing. It was on this morning, went and got ready for work and looked at it again, was at the "insert boot device" screen. Just ordered a Corsair with Prime next day, will see if that fixes it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the SSD. I had a machine start doing something like this a while back. I'd wake it up in the morning and it would run fine at first, but then slowly over the course of about 10 minutes things would just start locking down and glitching out with all sorts of corruption. That happened about 3 times before I determined the drive was failing and immediately ordered a replacement. New drive solved the problem. Granted, starting from a fresh install solves most problems :)

I had some good luck though and picked up a 120GB OCZ 450 for $29 amir @ Tiger. Still very pleased how that worked out.

Ya, I did 2 fresh installs over the weekend. I was not amused. I am upgrading XP machines to 7 for work too, so I did 8 installs over the weekend... We're a small company and we don't have an imaging machine, so I have to do everything manually.

Actually, it might be the OCZ drive failing. It was on this morning, went and got ready for work and looked at it again, was at the "insert boot device" screen. Just ordered a Corsair with Prime next day, will see if that fixes it.

Yup, I had a second gen OCZ 120GB which I RMA'd. OCZ SSDs seem to have higher failure rates and is probably one of the many reasons why OCZ is out of business.

Yup, I had a second gen OCZ 120GB which I RMA'd. OCZ SSDs seem to have higher failure rates and is probably one of the many reasons why OCZ is out of business.

I'm pretty sure that's what it was. I replaced that and reformatted, haven't had any corruption since.

And that OCZ drive held it's own. That thing was old man, and suffered a lot of writes. Pretty sure it was oh, 7 years old. Last time I checked it's health (~6 months), it was at 0% but I figured I would see how long it could go... lol

Back