Desktop board that takes DDR3 ECC Registered?

rykker

Weaksauce
Either AMD or Intel.... but not Xeon or Opteron.... Anyone know of such a beast? I have an assload of 4 and 8GB sticks kicking around after upgrading a whole buncha servers with 16GB sticks...

Since the memory controller is on the CPU and only xeon or Opteron procesors support REG memory you will not find any desktop motherboards that support this since it is not possible.

Since the memory controller is on the CPU and only xeon or Opteron procesors support REG memory you will not find any desktop motherboards that support this since it is not possible.

Actually the Asus Workstation series of desktop boards have taken Xeons and I believe ECC memory for some time....but that requires Xeon cpus ofc.

only server motherboards take registered memory. you would probably know that if you didnt just steal a bunch of memory from the people who do

Actually the Asus Workstation series of desktop boards have taken Xeons and I believe ECC memory for some time....but that requires Xeon cpus ofc.

ECC memory is not the same as Registered memory. Current xeons support ECC but will not work with registered ram. And in either case the problem is desktop processors will not use registered ram.

I've been recently looking into this matter as well and unfortunately there aren't any desktop boards supporting registered ECC. Even unbuffered ECC support is a rare bird.

Not sure about the upcoming Gigabyte board, there might be a slim hope.
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23054

PS: I'm speaking about Intel only, didn't look into AMD boards.

Last edited:
only server motherboards take registered memory. you would probably know that if you didnt just steal a bunch of memory from the people who do

Man we have bags full of ECC DDR2 and FB-DIMMS at work. And I mean bags, probably 200 sticks of the shit. And that's what it is to me outside of work place.

Back