Deskstar 7K2000 - 7200RPM 2TB drives have arrived

Blew too much on a pair for typical and nasty testing. It'd be nice if these were as sturdy as the E7K1k's. "Yeah, congratulations, you can now double your already insane storage space."

Blew too much on a pair for typical and nasty testing. It'd be nice if these were as sturdy as the E7K1k's. "Yeah, congratulations, you can now double your already insane storage space."
So, you have some in your possession and they aren't that spectacular? :(

So, you have some in your possession and they aren't that spectacular? :(

Oh, no. I made arrangements to preorder a pair. I haven't gotten them yet, and I'm still waiting to hear why.

BTW, Newegg is doing Samsung F1 1TB with a free F1 500GB at the moment. So tempting. If only I didn't know for fact that they'd arrive with the warranty thoroughly voided.

Last edited:
Oh, no. I made arrangements to preorder a pair. I haven't gotten them yet, and I'm still waiting to hear why.

BTW, Newegg is doing Samsung F1 1TB with a free F1 500GB at the moment. So tempting.
Ah, well, hopefully I will have some in my hands tomorrow for testing. About time too as my 15TB RAID array got corrupted (been recovering/rebuilding it since Friday) and I've been wanting to expand anyway.

Ah, well, hopefully I will have some in my hands tomorrow for testing. About time too as my 15TB RAID array got corrupted (been recovering/rebuilding it since Friday) and I've been wanting to expand anyway.

You're doing it wrong, if you've been rebuilding since Friday.
The art of RAID is the compromise between "OMG CAPACITY LAWL" and not being completely fucked for days while it rebuilds (and a second failure will take it out completely.)

The rebuild finished a long time ago. It got corrupted somehow though, so I'm recovering all the data off it as we speak. It's taking forever since I'm dumping it onto individual hard drives and can only do one at a time. Also, it's no longer RAID 5, I switched over to RAID 6.

The rebuild finished a long time ago. It got corrupted somehow though, so I'm recovering all the data off it as we speak. It's taking forever since I'm dumping it onto individual hard drives and can only do one at a time. Also, it's no longer RAID 5, I switched over to RAID 6.

This makes zero difference; RAID5 or RAID6 is still vulnerable during rebuild. Sole exception is MegaRAID Elite1600 and 320 series. (The current cards I don't believe can handle it. I haven't tested.)

Be interesting to know how it corrupted in the rebuild though. I've never seen that. Also, FKJSDFL:JAKL never doing single drive at a time restores ever again. Everything goes on tapes, tapes just dump back. (TSM has spoiled me.)

I think I know how it got corrupted. I blame user error (I believe I screwed up). As for tapes, well, when I can afford an LTO4 autoloader, then we'll talk. This is my personal array, not something in a corporate environment, so my budget isn't that high.

I think I know how it got corrupted. I blame user error (I believe I screwed up). As for tapes, well, when I can afford an LTO4 autoloader, then we'll talk. This is my personal array, not something in a corporate environment, so my budget isn't that high.

I use a DDS2 monstrosity still, I'm in the market for an LTO2. It's not like you need to handle the entire array nightly; only what's changed. So you do a one-time "OHGODLOADTAPES" and maybe chew up one or two LTO2's a night. So there's no real need for an autoloader; just a SCSI system and decent backup software.

Back