Desk pad

Hey guys

I'm looking for some advice on desk pads for my setup. I'm currently using a small mouse pad that is aweful, and I can't remove it because the surface underneath is glass.

So I'm in the market for a desk pad that will accomodate an old MX 1000 (never ever changing that mouse, it's one of the first laser mice from Logitech I think) and a future Ducky Shine 2 (full width). I was looking at leather desk pads on Amazon but realized that I didn't now sh*t about them :D

So, I turn to your experience in that matter. Ideally, it should be hard enough to write on a sheet of paper on it.

Any ideas?

be a man, use the desk

I used to use the desk... For years that's how I went along, especially after using cheap ass mouse pads. Desk worked just as good, maybe even a bit better and didn't move around on me being such a burden.

Then I did some major upgrading - Basically everything - PC, monitor, mouse/keyboard, desk, the works... Decided I'd try a real mouse pad of quality and I doubt I'll go back to just using the desk again. It feels like I have better precision, easier movement and what part of my wrist that touches the pad is more comfortable too. Not to mention it never moves on me.

I went with the RAZER Goliathus Gaming Mouse Mat - Fragged Speed Edition - Omega S and love it. I got it in February of last year and do not notice any wear and tear on it. Also note that I'm a pretty heavy PC user between normal casual user use of email/web surfing/music etc... to PC gaming. I play strategy and FPS games. Use my machine every day. Not saying my mouse pad is the way to go, just saying it's another way to go.

Thanks, I had seen the extended edition. I would like it to cover the area under the mouse and keyboard. And if possible, to be wide and tall enough to accomodate at least two A4 sheets of paper. I s the RAZER hard enough to write on?

Thanks, I had seen the extended edition. I would like it to cover the area under the mouse and keyboard. And if possible, to be wide and tall enough to accomodate at least two A4 sheets of paper. I s the RAZER hard enough to write on?
No, those pads are cloth. Not good for a writing surface.

I recently got a Mionix Sargas 900 pad. I, too, like a mouse pad that has the space to hold my keyboard and mouse. It was only $17.99 shipped from Amazon.

I have a Goliathus pad. I like it but I'm thinking I should have got the "speed" edition. I have the "control" edition, it has a rough texture and it really likes to grab dust.

No, those pads are cloth. Not good for a writing surface.

I recently got a Mionix Sargas 900 pad. I, too, like a mouse pad that has the space to hold my keyboard and mouse. It was only $17.99 shipped from Amazon.

Yep, no writing the Goliathus.

May I ask why some people prefer the pad to extend from the mouse past the keyboard?

I have a Goliathus pad. I like it but I'm thinking I should have got the "speed" edition. I have the "control" edition, it has a rough texture and it really likes to grab dust.

When I bought mine I really didn't know what I was buying. It looked pretty good, had good reviews, I knew the name Razer and I assumed it wasn't going to be a piece of shit like so many others I had before.

I don't notice the pad collecting a lot of dust, or animal hair. I also like to eat around my keyboard/mouse and that's not a problem either... Granted I'm also not a slob. But we have five animals in the house that all shed pretty bad so animal hair is an issue normally. My desk usually looks a lot worse with dust and what not than the mouse pad does.

What I do is use a lint roller from time to time and clean it. The desk does show the dust more though.
When I bought it I saw mention of a speed edition but couldn't find one.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep'em coming.

Is a standard "leather" pad (for lack of a better word) suitable for my needs? All those "gaming", "speed" and other terms confuse me. I'm just in the market for a pad that is suitable for an laser mouse, and writing. The Mionix looks nice, but the reviews on Amazon say the top peels off after usage. The Razer Goliath looks too narrow to hold A4 style paper.

Other options?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep'em coming.

Is a standard "leather" pad (for lack of a better word) suitable for my needs? All those "gaming", "speed" and other terms confuse me. I'm just in the market for a pad that is suitable for an laser mouse, and writing. The Mionix looks nice, but the reviews on Amazon say the top peels off after usage. The Razer Goliath looks too narrow to hold A4 style paper.

Other options?

I don't own, or have I ever used or actually seen any of those larger pads that are longer in length. The term "speed" or "control" used to define some of these pads don't mean much to me either. My thing is, and I've said before is that I believe you get what you pay for. I was willing to drop $15-$20 on just a mouse pad because I wanted something good. Sure, I could have gone with a $5 dollar one, but I doubt I would have been as pleased. That's also why I tried to give a brief description of my initial experience. The cheap ones were a nuisance, imo. The Razer Goliathus is so good that I wouldn't go without a mouse pad anymore...

Basically, my only recommendation would simply be not to go "cheap" on it, which is a lesson I've had to learn through pretty much every PC I've made.

Yep, no writing the Goliathus.

May I ask why some people prefer the pad to extend from the mouse past the keyboard?
I like the cushioning effect a large pad has on the desk. It also keeps the keyboard, mouse, etc. all on the same level.

2z7fx3d.jpg

I like the cushioning effect a large pad has on the desk. It also keeps the keyboard, mouse, etc. all on the same level.

2z7fx3d.jpg

Ahh, I can certainly understand that. The difference in level is that noticeable to me since the Goliathus is fairly thin, but the cushioning effect would be nice. I use a Microsoft Sidewinder keyboard and it has a hard plastic lip in front to rest my palms as I type... Obviously not as comfortable as a cushioned pad, but that's why I was wondering. I'll have to keep such a pad in mind for future reference.

Back