JordanStyp

n00b
So I currently have the FREDDE
Gaming desk, black from Ikea and I was curious about what other good desks you guys might have or have seen that are nice and aesthetically pleasing. I'm trying to find better desk ideas. I currently run three 27" monitors. 2 in landscape mode and 1 in portrait mode. (Not that, that part matters), and a Lian Li O11 dynamic mid tower case. TIA

As long as you don't need stuff like drawers & KB tray, and just want a sturdy, solid platform to hold all your 'putin hardware, I would look at HomeDespot or Slowes for one of their wood topped workbenches with the adjustable, powder-coated steel legs & frame....they may be a tad utilitarian looking, but the wood tops are 2.5" thick, with a beautiful and extremely durable clear Urethane finish, the same type they use for basketball courts & bar tops !

I got 5 of them a while back for $250 each (pre-Rona price) and love em and will never go back to any other kind of "normal" prefabbed POS particle-board desk :)

2x were for my garage as actual workbenches, and 2 were for my office (in an L shaped arrangement) with 2x 43" + 1x 32" + 1x 27" monitors, 2 mini-me boxes, and a AIO Laser printer. The last one was for my son's gamin cave. He uses 1x 32" + 2x 27" monitors with a TT Level 20 case and a 7.1 surround sound set up...

As long as you don't need stuff like drawers & KB tray, and just want a sturdy, solid platform to hold all your 'putin hardware, I would look at HomeDespot or Slowes for one of their wood topped workbenches with the adjustable, powder-coated steel legs & frame....they may be a tad utilitarian looking, but the wood tops are 2.5" thick, with a beautiful and extremely durable clear Urethane finish, the same type they use for basketball courts & bar tops !

I got 5 of them a while back for $250 each (pre-Rona price) and love em and will never go back to any other kind of "normal" prefabbed POS particle-board desk :)

2x were for my garage as actual workbenches, and 2 were for my office (in an L shaped arrangement) with 2x 43" + 1x 32" + 1x 27" monitors, 2 mini-me boxes, and a AIO Laser printer. The last one was for my son's gamin cave. He uses 1x 32" + 2x 27" monitors with a TT Level 20 case and a 7.1 surround sound set up...
Not a bad idea!

IMO, the all-time best computer desks were IKEA's Jerker and Galant. Both are long-canceled, but you can find them on Craig's List for some unbelievably cheap prices. My 20 year old Galant is still going strong.

desk.jpg

I'm still using a Jerker, but I don't think it's anything special.
If I was going to buy today, I'd get a super minimal desk setup that can be lift lowered. But such desks are expensive. The end goal would be to either pedal or walk while doing work.

IMO, the all-time best computer desks were IKEA's Jerker and Galant. Both are long-canceled, but you can find them on Craig's List for some unbelievably cheap prices. My 20 year old Galant is still going strong.

View attachment 612743
Well, they may be great for you, however, they are still just particle board, which IMO, is total crap thru & thru for any kind of furniture.....the workbenches I mentioned are 2.5" SOLID WOOD, with 3" square powder-coated steel H-frames & legs.... me thinks you could probably park a small car (or motocycle) on them without any worries... not sure I would wanna try that with those jerker/galant :)

If you're wanted to go with something a bit more traditional looking that does have drawers and storage, I'd check your menards/home depot or w/e for returned base cabinets like you'd find in your kitchen. Cut the toe-kick off of them and they're right at the perfect height. Paint or stain them the color of your choosing, select your drawer pulls, and then for the fun part, the top.

I opted to go with a custom linoleum countertop for mine, 28" deep and 7' long. Finished on 2 sides, with a roll on the outward facing lip (no red marks on your forarms after long gaming sessions). Because I opted for such a large opening underneath, i did also snag an additional leg for the center.

I liked this so much I did a second, mini version for my retro setup.

20230213_194928.jpg

20230213_194913.jpg

20230213_194954.jpg

These are too tall to be ergonomic.

Well, they may be great for you, however, they are still just particle board, which IMO, is total crap thru & thru for any kind of furniture.....the workbenches I mentioned are 2.5" SOLID WOOD, with 3" square powder-coated steel H-frames & legs.... me thinks you could probably park a small car (or motocycle) on them without any worries... not sure I would wanna try that with those jerker/galant :)
Meh... my Galant cost about $180 (in 2002) and has been rock solid through at least 6 PC builds and 3 relocations in GA and FL. I'll take that over any workstation desk even if you could park a small car or motorcycle on it.

So I currently have the FREDDE
Gaming desk, black from Ikea and I was curious about what other good desks you guys might have or have seen that are nice and aesthetically pleasing. I'm trying to find better desk ideas. I currently run three 27" monitors. 2 in landscape mode and 1 in portrait mode. (Not that, that part matters), and a Lian Li O11 dynamic mid tower case. TIA
I’m eyeing the Vari Electric Standing Desk when I buy one. On the expensive side but it’s solid wood and feels great. My friend has one so I’ve seen it in person.

I was in similar condition and went with Uplift Desk 72" wide 24" deep started with 3 27" monitors knowing I was going to ascend to ultrawide. 72" is perfect for that.
2-27" 1440p + 1-34" Ultrawide 1440p
Two years down the road and I couldn't be happier.

Uplift Desk.png

PXL_20230604_175714419.jpg

Back