Desk arms for 24" monitor?

Sunfox

n00b
Well, I think I've made a big mistake purchasing two Ergotron LXs for use with my NEC LCD24WUXi monitors. Oh, they mounted fine. I can get my monitors exactly where I want them.

But they JIGGLE.

I have a solid, heavy desk. But just typing or mousing sets up something in these arms that causes the monitors to wobble/jiggle/shimmy and it's getting very distracting. Sure, if I WHACKED the desk the monitor's stock stands would make the screen move a bit, but with these even tiny movements are amplified, and it seems that the spring tensioner causes the effect to go on for long after I stop doing anything. Simply pressing the power button on my vertical screen sets up a wobble that takes over 40 seconds to stop.

What else is out there that WON'T JIGGLE LIKE THIS? I wanted space under my screens for my speakers and other things, but this is distracting enough to kill my productivity.

No, a wall mount wouldn't work here. Two issues:

First, I'm in a basement - hey great, concrete walls right? No, alas - they're insulated with a couple inches of foam, and then there's just cheap thin wood paneling on top. So basically there's no way to get a solid mount - even if you use long enough bolts to get through to the concrete, the surface layer wouldn't support the pressure.

Second, I'm using a 54" corner desk (yes, huge and heavy - bought back when I had giant deep CRTs), and you're probably looking at 30-36 inches reach to get back to the wall from my center screen.

Well, OK... how about sturdy desk arms with >25 lbs capacity? The NEC's are 4 inches thick, which makes them "heavier" since most of these arms are weighted with 1.5-2.0 inch screens...

Yeah the 2490 is probably the heaviest 24 LCD you will find. At the same time, I think any of those extending arm mounts will shake noticeably on anything 15 lbs and up. I have a straight up vertical desktop mount and it works well with minimal wobbling. It does barely hold it though, doubt it could hold the 26 inch version They are around $35 on ebay, such as this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DESKTOP-LCD...918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335ba85a4e

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back