Design Guidline 00

Hyperion

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been looking at a few 'design' threads in the Digital Artwerk lately and it would seem
as if we need to get a few design basics straightened out. Let us start with layout. Boys
and girls, layout is everything, it is the make or break, the alpha and the omega of design.
If a design makes good use of colour and typography, and has interesting content to boot,
it can (and usually does) all fall apart with rotten layout.

I would STRONGLY recommend Digital Artwerkers to take a look at Robin Williams'
CRAP (Contrast Repetition Alignment Proximity) design principles, from his book:

The Non-Designer's Design Book (2nd Ed.)

Here then a link to a web-page that briefly explains CRAP principles. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the first edition of that book. It's one of the best, IMO. It's a short, fun read with lots of before and after examples demonstrating how a few simple principles make a world of difference in the overall visual impact and effectiveness. Definitely worth owning. :)

hi girlz and boyz ,

layouts iz good but speed iz good to. who will wait thousands years for rilly good dezines????? i STRONGLY reckomend u use fast speedz or elze no body wants to wait for your pretty layouts..

chek out this linkz for CRAP speed.

my advyce iz go faster

totally awesome

After deciphering your LSDspeak™, my response:

"Yes, my website is relatively slow, there are reasons for this, one being that it's a web
server inside a South African university, so since I am not paying for my web-space, I
cannot exactly demand the bandwidth promised on the non-existant SLA."

However if you wish to express your opinions on the content of this thread, you are more
than welcome to do so without whining about the speed of my personal web sand-box? :rolleyes:

hyperion, great link when
I get some $$$ around I might purchase it. :D

Totally_Awesome_Dude, when you type out your posts when you reach for the "z" key please move your finger up a row and over a key if your using a standard qwerty keyboard. that way people don't think there are bee's about... and did you just roll your eyes to your own post. :rolleyes:

Back