Design critique? (some one please make me cry!)

p3ngu1nb0y

n00b
All right it's late I've just finished uploading the last page to the web server. So far I like my design I just am a little bit unsure about the color usage maybe? It's been groing on me as I keep working on it but, there's just a little bit of doubt.

Either way it's supposed to be a furniture comany's online store. There is no way to order from the site yet, I was pushed to just get it up first then add the ability to order from it later. The site is mostly html and css with a tiny little bit of java. I've tried to keep the page clean looking but use as much css as possible.

I know there isn't enough content. I can't stress the fact that It will be added in later I just want to finalize the design while it's still some what new.

Please be brutally honest. I'm looking to see what you think.

Http://www.midwesternfurniture.com

I would use a light color for the rollover effect. You want the user to focus on the image, dark backgrounds distract from that imho.

Other than that, nice layout. I am surprised there is no "About" page. Maybe it's just me, but I would never order anything from a small online business (small as in not like newegg or mwave, or dell, or whatever) that doesn't have an extensive page about themselves, what that do, who their customers are, who the people of the company are, etc etc. Also it would be good to have a BBB logo or whatever there, and link to the BBB listing of that company so customers can see that they are legit and without problems.

yea, i dont like the colors very much, especially the maroon (is that the rollover effect?).

also, i think that a different font should be used, to make it a little more professional looking, not so wordpad-looking ...

although i do like the side menu and the top graphic, although a higher res picture would also help imo

Ditch the blue-dotted line around the border of the site. Also -- you may want to take a look at www.colourlovers.com for some new colors. Take a look at the palettes. That site has helped me quite a bit in the past couple of weeks.

Things wrong with your site:

1. Using tables for non-tabular data
2. Your HTML layout will speak reak havok on screen readers. You should be using <div> and CSS for positioning so you can easily place navigation elements under content elements. Remember: Blind and visually impaired people need furnature too. ;)
3. The blue dashed background has got to go.
4. There are better ways to do your navigation lists. Visit http://www.alistapart.com

I fucked your wife! ...crying yet? ;)

When you navigate to a page other than the index, the "Main Page" link always links to the page you are currently viewing. For example, if your on the home page the "Main Page" links to "index.php". If your on the Livingroom page the "Main Page" links to "livingroom/index.php".

doh said:
4. There are better ways to do your navigation lists. Visit http://www.alistapart.com
Eh ..., that site isn't really a good reference to tell people how to create their web sites. It's unreadable at 1280x1024. In addition it doesn't work for 800x600 without horizontal scrolling, about 25% of all web users still browse at 800x600 to this day. Bad reference imho.

Thuleman said:
Eh ..., that site isn't really a good reference to tell people how to create their web sites. It's unreadable at 1280x1024. In addition it doesn't work for 800x600 without horizontal scrolling, about 25% of all web users still browse at 800x600 to this day. Bad reference imho.

I meant using lists, because, you know, navigation links is a list of links.

Okay the dotted line is going to go, now as for using <div>s with the list of links I didn't go that route because I really didn't want to spend a lot of time messing around with positioning.

I built what is up now within a week, so it's more of a lazy - need for speed type of thing that I haven't done it yet. It's on a to do list along with many other items so far.

The colors will change just not sure when. ;)

As for the Main Page link, if I'm understanding your post correctly then if they want to go back to the Living Room group then they should (logic forces me to assume but I know many people will prove me wrong) click the Living Room link to go to the main living room section. **re-reads post** Whoops good thing you caught that!

If you check the page after this post you'll probably be disappointed, I'm writing this in a hurry and I'll make the changes later.

As for fucking my wife, I almost shed a tear.. Would of been more effective if I had a wife!

Thanks for the opinions so far keep them coming!

Back