Descisions....descisions...X79 or X58

Rock&Roll

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I've got some hardware on my hands and some of it is collecting dust.

My day to day rig for a while now has been an 1155 based core-i5 system...It's plenty fast for a good bit of what I do at 4.6GHz. But, I've recently come to regret not having VT-d. Since I have two aging HEDT base systems already in my hands, I need to pick one and sell the other. (I picked them up over the last year for projects or just goofing around).

I have in one corner, the lovely Rampage III Formula (X58) system with a westmere Xeon already up and running.

In the other corner I have a fledgeling (because very early UEFI implementation) Asus P9X79-WS (X79) system with a 6-core 3930k (Sandy Bridge).

RAM is a non consideration. I can load the x58 with 24GB or the X79 with 32GB. Already on hand.

What is a consideration is:
Will an overclocked 3930k be a better performer than an overclocked X5675?
Is there any risk to staying with X58 with newer video cards? I dont want to buy an nVidia GeForce GTX 7806999999 ejacula0r edition someday and start getting BSOD's from hell. And I really don't see making the jump to DDR4 any time soon.
My boot drive is a lone SSD....not sure if that matters.

Overclocking will be done under water...for which I have an excess of radiator capacity.

you need high overclocked Xeon X56XX to be on pair of a i7 3930K at 4ghz which its an extremely low overclock as those can go easy above 4.7ghz and above averages 3930K at 5ghz or more with good cooling.. so the truly choice? i7 3930K by far will be the best.

Sandy Bridge has a ~10-15% IPC increase over Nehalem, and overclocks 0.2-0.5 ghz higher on average.

Video cards don't really matter. PCI-E is backwards compatible.

I would sell the x58 system.

That x58 mobo will fetch you ~$250-$300 still and the 3930k is faster.

The 3930k is a great oc'er and will do everything you need it to do for sometime.

Alright, Thanks for the info. I was totally unaware that there was that much IPC difference. I really thought they were neck & neck. Looks like I'll be giving x79 a go.

Would that not depend on which he can get the most money back on? also a 32nm Westmere Xeon 6 core can still preform and overclock to around 4.6Ghz with HT on so it ain't no push over.

I checked some Firestrike Physics Scores and most get 16,000 to 18,000 with unicorn 19,000+ at 5.3Ghz for the 3930K

Hell I don't even think i' am a good overclocker and broke 15,000 at 4.4Ghz on the slower X58 platform without using any tricks some use in driver settings to boost scores ..

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3959830

Last edited:
since you have both, sell the x58, since you already have a new rig, get some money for the x58 while you still can...

Go with the X79 platform...it's the better performer and you can always install an 8-core E5-1680 V2 either now or later on down the road...;)

Back