Deploying Windows 7 in Enterprise Setting

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Question...

I work a non IT job for a small firm that currently uses XP on all of its workstations. All of the files I use on a daily basis are on a network drive organized into into various folders.

As a Windows 7 beta user I have become used to being able to simply type in what I am looking for in the start menu and allowing the OS to search its index for the appropriate file. This seems to work on my home networked drives which run two systems, one with Vista and one with windows 7.

My question is, if I install Windows 7 on my workstation at work, will I be able to search the remote drives in this fashion even though the server software is probably XP era? Does there have to be a server side service running for the indexing to work?

I hope windows 7 doesn't index network drives. I don't want to think what would happen when all the 7 machines start indexing file shares and the file servers start crawling...

I hope windows 7 doesn't index network drives. I don't want to think what would happen when all the 7 machines start indexing file shares and the file servers start crawling...

not to mention the network slowing to a crawl.

windows 7 does not allow you to add network drive or network locations to the search index. The only way to get around this is to have the server index those locations. If the share you are connecting to is pre vista/7 or linux you are sol.

Back