deployed and trying to figure out how to make router act like a US IP address

KCOTT

Weaksauce
Trying to watch netflix and other amenities I enjoyed when I was back in the U.S. but unfortunately most of that stuff is blocked. I figured out how to mimic U.S. ip addresses with software like Easy Hide IP and Spotflux, but that only works for the computer. Is there a way to have the router itself act like a U.S. ip address so when I connect various wifi devices (like my phone, or xbox) it doesn't use the local ip address? I googled and it looks like you have to flash the firmware of the router to a modified one. Any tips on the best way of going about this? Thanks HF.

Connect to a VPN service in the USA?
either this or some sort of a proxy service.

I'm not really sure how flashing your router will help, as your ip address is handed out by your ISP anyways. If your ISP doesn't have US ip addresses, you cant just flash your router and get one.

edit: i think i get what your trying to do. Basically instead of using stuff like "easy hide ip" on an individual computer basis you want your entire network subscribed to such a service? In that case i do see why you might need to flash your router since your router might not have the capability to connect to such a service. What model router do you have? VPN solutions would basically do what you want, but you need a router that supports it.

Last edited:
Unblockus. Google it. I use it in Canada to get American Netflix. 5 bucks a month too. Works really well.

What model router do you have? VPN solutions would basically do what you want, but you need a router that supports it.

He's probably thinking of flashing to a custom firmware that has features his router doesn't come with stock.

I use HMA (Hide My Ass) with OpenVPN, if you google it you'll see what services they have to offer as well as pricing.

First, this question is borderline because it violates the AUP of said services you cannot access.

Second, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026346800#post1026346800 explains why

This doesn't apply. He is an American citizen working on a base in a foreign country. That base is US territory. I don't think he is breaking the spirit of their rules. I am in Afghanistan as well and it is extremely annoying how stateside companies are not able to deal with virtual APO addresses.

OP, personally I would VPN into my home network and access the service from there. Unfortunately, the services here are much to slow to access services like Netflix. I obtain my media fix through... other resources.

Use a vpn service in the states and be done with it that way. That will be best for you

Well unblockus works for services, as I now can access Netflix, etc. But having an issue that it's still showing me in another country. For example, I have a download code for a free game on Xbox but it won't let me download it because of my location.

As others have said, get a VPN gateway in the US. Unless your traffic is coming from a US IP, you're not going to be able to magically "hide" it.

You need something that can act as a proxy, no matter what IP you give your router, your originating IP is still going to be from your country, you can't spoof an IP in America and get packets sent to you.

Your best bet is get a cheap VPS and setup squid or OpenVPN. Squid is easier to setup though. Make sure only your IP is allowed to connect so people don't abuse it. You could also just google "proxies" and try to find a proxy server that works, which will most likely be on a US server, though these free public proxies tend to be really slow so netflix and other streaming services would probably not work.

The 100% failsafe way is a VPN though. Even a proxy, depending on how the service connects, may not work. Ex: if the flash applet has it's own protocol and connects out somewhere, it's still doing so from your PC. But if it's fully http then a proxy will work.

I know surfbouncer.com has a hardware vpn router. Not sure how well it works but I have used their vpn software and it is nice

Back