Dental Office Network

Down to 4.5 now ....k, went back..on first page started at 6. Eset Enterprise Edition starts at 5 users...fits the job here. Come renewal time...the admin only has to touch 1x machine....update the user/pass, and the single license file. In and out in 3 minutes..and the entire network is renewed for a year.

i should have asked you this in pm, but that price you gave me was it seemed like per computer, you dont have to pay extra for the server side software? I think with Trend you paid a higher amount for the server then just a lower amount per computer.

Also can I get trial software through you? I wanna try out nod32 but don't really have time to walk through a demo with esset.

If thats the case that it was just a price per computer then its worth it. But if you have to pay extra for the server mite not be.

i should have asked you this in pm, but that price you gave me was it seemed like per computer, you dont have to pay extra for the server side software? I think with Trend you paid a higher amount for the server then just a lower amount per computer.

Also can I get trial software through you? I wanna try out nod32 but don't really have time to walk through a demo with esset.

If thats the case that it was just a price per computer then its worth it. But if you have to pay extra for the server mite not be.

Per computer? No...I think I broke it down with size of network. Price for a 10 node, price for a 20 node..something like that. When I quote a 20x node network..that means..20x computers total..that one price does them all..regardless of what percentage is workstations and what percentage is servers. That's one of the nice things about Esets Enterprise Edition..it's a total package for any Windows based OS...doens't break them down into say...15x workstations and 5x servers. 20 is 20..period, regardless. It's the same antivirus program for both..there is no difference with EE.

I dunno can you? lol =)

If thats enough space for you then yes. I know in previous posts you wanted alot of space so I configured with the 500GB drives.

If you need more space down the road you can either add a NAS or more drives.

I dunno can you? lol =)

If thats enough space for you then yes. I know in previous posts you wanted alot of space so I configured with the 500GB drives.

If you need more space down the road you can either add a NAS or more drives.

haha

I'm some what fimilar with RAID, but how many drives are needed for a hotspare? 4?
I'm thinking i'll go with enough storage for the PM Software and its data, as well as some digital photography, and then add a NAS if needed for Video....

haha

I'm some what fimilar with RAID, but how many drives are needed for a hotspare? 4?
I'm thinking i'll go with enough storage for the PM Software and its data, as well as some digital photography, and then add a NAS if needed for Video....

1 more then the amount of drives you want in the array. IE a raid 1 would need at least 3 drives(2 for the array and 1 for the spare). A raid 3 or 5 needs 4 drives(3 for the array and 1 hot spare). A raid 10 needs 5 drives(4 for the array and 1 hotspare).

Find out if the new perc 6 controller supports sas and sata drives at the same time. Some controllers do some do not. That way you can have sas as that is what you want for your main array(s) and you can always add a few large sata drives down the road into the extra hotswap bays and make a new array if you need more storage for video.

1 more then the amount of drives you want in the array. IE a raid 1 would need at least 3 drives(2 for the array and 1 for the spare). A raid 3 or 5 needs 4 drives(3 for the array and 1 hot spare). A raid 10 needs 5 drives(4 for the array and 1 hotspare).

Find out if the new perc 6 controller supports sas and sata drives at the same time. Some controllers do some do not. That way you can have sas as that is what you want for your main array(s) and you can always add a few large sata drives down the road into the extra hotswap bays and make a new array if you need more storage for video.
Thanks for the information. So if I wanted to, i could configure three 300GB 15K SAS drives in RAID1?

Thanks for the information. So if I wanted to, i could configure three 300GB 15K SAS drives in RAID1?

Some raid controllers may allow this but you will still only have 300 gigs of space. Most controllers would use 2 of the drives for a raid 1 and use the extra drive as what is known as a hot spare. Drive is on but not being written too. If the controller gets an error off one of the other drives it will take it offline and rebuild using the drive that was doing nothing.

If you did a raid 5 using those 3 drives you would have around 600 gigs of usable space(minus whatever formating and whatnot takes off). The controller will be using all 3 drives. If one fails the controller will take if offline but you will have no protection if another drive fails untill you install another drive to have the array rebuilt itself. Mind you if you added a 4th drive you could set it as a hotspare so if a drive failed it could rebuild or use all 4 for active storage. If you did all 4 for active storage you would have 900 or so gigs(minus formating and whatnot again) but you could sitll only loose 1 drive without having issues.

With a 3 drive raid 5 I don't think you will really see any preformance over a 2 drive raid 1. If anything the write speed may be a little less.

Also it is worth mentioning no matter how you go when you install the server setup the raid software to email you with issues. I know a few people that have been screwed because they had a bad drive and never checked the server and another drive failed.

Some raid controllers may allow this but you will still only have 300 gigs of space. Most controllers would use 2 of the drives for a raid 1 and use the extra drive as what is known as a hot spare. Drive is on but not being written too. If the controller gets an error off one of the other drives it will take it offline and rebuild using the drive that was doing nothing.

If you did a raid 5 using those 3 drives you would have around 600 gigs of usable space(minus whatever formating and whatnot takes off). The controller will be using all 3 drives. If one fails the controller will take if offline but you will have no protection if another drive fails untill you install another drive to have the array rebuilt itself. Mind you if you added a 4th drive you could set it as a hotspare so if a drive failed it could rebuild or use all 4 for active storage. If you did all 4 for active storage you would have 900 or so gigs(minus formating and whatnot again) but you could sitll only loose 1 drive without having issues.

With a 3 drive raid 5 I don't think you will really see any preformance over a 2 drive raid 1. If anything the write speed may be a little less.

Also it is worth mentioning no matter how you go when you install the server setup the raid software to email you with issues. I know a few people that have been screwed because they had a bad drive and never checked the server and another drive failed.
so raid 5 or 1 for reliability and safeness? I don't care about the write/access speed if it a suddle difference...

so raid 5 or 1 for reliability and safeness? I don't care about the write/access speed if it a suddle difference...

Generaly I prefer to run 2 raid 1's for a smaller server setup. Something like 2 80 gig drives for the os and 2 drives for data storage. Either that or a raid 1 for the os and a raid 5 for data.

In your case though a single raid 5 should be fine.

Generaly I prefer to run 2 raid 1's for a smaller server setup. Something like 2 80 gig drives for the os and 2 drives for data storage. Either that or a raid 1 for the os and a raid 5 for data.

In your case though a single raid 5 should be fine.
Well you said for "smaller server setup."
Do you think i should do the RAID1 then? I know i'm kinda reasking the question, but i'm just wondering what would be the best option...

300Gigs is about the max i'll need without Video storage...

I'm thinking three 300GB 15K sas - RAID1 = OS AND DATA

Well you said for "smaller server setup."
Do you think i should do the RAID1 then? I know i'm kinda reasking the question, but i'm just wondering what would be the best option...

300Gigs is about the max i'll need without Video storage...

I'm thinking three 300GB 15K sas - RAID1 = OS AND DATA

That would work fine(2 drives in a raid 1 and 1 hotspare). Really though if you wanted to do that I would just drop to 2 drives and not worry about the hotspare as if a drive failed dell would have you one the next day while you are under warranty. If you want 3 I'd prob go with a raid 5 and have the extra storage.

That would work fine(2 drives in a raid 1 and 1 hotspare). Really though if you wanted to do that I would just drop to 2 drives and not worry about the hotspare as if a drive failed dell would have you one the next day while you are under warranty. If you want 3 I'd prob go with a raid 5 and have the extra storage.
I guess two drives is the best deal then. Cheaper and if it fails, i can atleast make use of the extra warranty i would pay 4 :D

Thanks for your help swatbat :)

AMD_RULES

What exactly are the storage requirements?

How much data do you have now? Or is this going to the be the first venture to computeres in the office? Lets get some estimate figures on what we actually need to store. Windows + Software will probably be like 10GB, so how much you thinking for Data? Users documents should be little before video and pictures.

SJ mentioned "One of our dental clients has approximately 100GB of digital images spanning 7 years and thats across two locations with about 15 patient rooms. Another Dental client we service, started with digital radiography for 13 patient rooms 2.5 years ago and so far they have about 40GB of digital images."

So I don't see why you want to have all that storage. If you get 3 146, thats right under 300GB of storage, leaving you with like probably 200 or so odd GB of data just for Pictures, Videos.

Hot spare is pretty effective, no down time at all. Raid 1 without hotspare your down, Raid 5 your not, Raid 5 with hotspare even better.

What exactly are the storage requirements?

How much data do you have now? Or is this going to the be the first venture to computeres in the office? Lets get some estimate figures on what we actually need to store. Windows + Software will probably be like 10GB, so how much you thinking for Data? Users documents should be little before video and pictures.

SJ mentioned "One of our dental clients has approximately 100GB of digital images spanning 7 years and thats across two locations with about 15 patient rooms. Another Dental client we service, started with digital radiography for 13 patient rooms 2.5 years ago and so far they have about 40GB of digital images."

So I don't see why you want to have all that storage. If you get 3 146, thats right under 300GB of storage, leaving you with like probably 200 or so odd GB of data just for Pictures, Videos.

Hot spare is pretty effective, no down time at all. Raid 1 without hotspare your down, Raid 5 your not, Raid 5 with hotspare even better.
i've listed the requirements many time.
Buy basicly to sum it up, the PM Software and its data, digital photos, word docs, excel, and possibly intraoral video. I guess i'll go with 146x4 (the fourth drive for hotspare) - RAID5
Ya, anyone can just go online and type in, "What's a network?" :rolleyes:

I'm not asking what, im asking how much.

hotspare isn't fully necessary in raid, if you notice a drive failing just replace it, hotspare allows you to have one fail and a 2nd fail

Back