Demon's Soul's sequel to be even more difficult

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
From kotaku:

More difficult than Demon’s Souls. To some that seems like an impossible thing, yet that’s just what Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki promises in a Q&A session posted today on the PlayStation Blog. He says that part of the increased difficulty in the new game comes in the form of newfound freedom for the players.

"Yes, Demon’s Souls was known for its incredible difficulty [laughter]. With Dark Souls, there is no intention to decrease the difficulty at all. Actually, we intend to increase the difficulty of the game. (Sid: !!!) But not simply by making the game more difficult, but by giving players the freedom to strategize freely and conquer that difficulty, and to be rewarded accordingly."

MIyazaki says the goal is to make things more “spicy” while still remaining tasty.

The addition of respawn points should definitely help, as well as the wide variety of new weapons and equipment coming in the follow-up. And if the game proves too easy for old-timers, they can always fall back on trying to make it through the game dual wielding with no shield to protect them, or as I like to call it, suicide.

First reaction: "Of course they're going to focus on the WRONG things when they iterate, they're asian developers". Guess I'm sort of racist. :-p

First reaction: "Of course they're going to focus on the WRONG things when they iterate, they're asian developers". Guess I'm sort of racist. :-p

Let's give the developers the benefit of the doubt. They've already accomplished a lot. Somehow they were able to drive to work without getting into a wreck often enough to release the first game.

I'd say that the difficulty of Demon Souls was over exaggerated. A bow made the more difficult parts easy (e.g. several bosses) and once you caught on to the timing of the different enemies attacks it wasn't all that hard to stay alive. IIRC even those stupid reaper enemies and skeletons were easily dealt with a decent bow and/or a mace.

The game really wasn't THAT hard, it was just brutally evil to you when you died, and if you died twice in a row it really hurt. It was more unforgiving than hard. Once you got a handle on how things worked, things weren't that bad...even on the 2nd time through.

By the way, I LOVED DEMONS SOULS, and I just can't wait for the sequel. It'll be a pre-order for me, most definitely. It's one I played a bit ago, and then baught a copy for xmas because I liked it so much.

Awesome, I'm really glad it was received so well here that we're able to get the sequel too.

Since its coming to 360 I'll likely get my hands on this.

I loved Demon's Souls.

I agree with tacosareveryyummy on the difficulty. Depending on how you set up your character(mainly whether you had good ranged or not) the difficulty can vary a lot.
I played through the first time as melee only then went back as a character with magic and then one with a bow and both times it felt like cheat mode.

I loved Demon's Souls.

I agree with tacosareveryyummy on the difficulty. Depending on how you set up your character(mainly whether you had good ranged or not) the difficulty can vary a lot.
I played through the first time as melee only then went back as a character with magic and then one with a bow and both times it felt like cheat mode.

It almost seems like the developers wanted to steer people from going melee all the way through. They probably wanted people to use the other aspects of the game over just slashing everything with a sword. Although, when sword slashing works well, it is very effective... I beat some main demons by just rushing into them and slashing away despite their powerful attacks (their ranged attacks were powerful as well, just not 1-3 hit kills).

I loved Demon's Souls.

It wasn't really that hard at any point, the key was knowing how to kill each type of enemy. Even as melee against all but a few things you had to kill with a bow, you didn't really need to. I ran through with a dual katana pure dex build and bulldozed just about everything. Some of the enemies you need to know how you approach them, but for the most part once you knew the trick it was over.

Best thing about Demon Souls was the pvp.

You would be amazed as how deep the pvp system is at soul level around 120. So many builds, so many options. Shame that it was limited by the online system. Getting together is the hardest part.

My only wish for Dark Souls is to have a better online system where a friend can actually *gasp* play with another friend without having to coordinate like it was the end of the world.

get my hands on this.

Nice euphemism.

I noticed it took "homebrew" before you decided to consider getting a PS3. Yeah Demon's Souls wasn't enough, but those "homebrew" apps were just too tempting and irresistible. :rolleyes:

The screenshots from http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/03/dark_souls_screens/ are exactly how I'd expect a Demon's Souls sequel to look. Art style is the same, with maybe a bit more color

Dark Souls looks awesome. It's good it's going multiplatform. It's the best RPG series to come out of Japan in a long time. The franchise deserves as many sales as possible, this sequel already looks to have a larger budget than DS, the game world is supposed to be much larger. I also like the way they are emphasizing exploration even further, and how the game world will be one congruous entity instead of being broken up into worlds and levels. It's got a lot to live up to, but I think it will deliver. It's got the same director and likely most of the same programming team.

So it's announced for a 2011 release in Japan. I wonder if we'll have to wait 6+ months again for it to come to our shores ? I hope not. This would be a great Christmas title. It's the type of game you just want to immerse yourself into and forget work/school for weeks at a time. :cool:

edit: well this answers my question: "Overseas, Namco Bandai will be handling publishing duties and has the game set for 2011 release on both PS3 and Xbox 360"

Demon's Souls was a day one purchase for me, and this game will be as well. :D

Last edited:
Best thing about Demon Souls was the pvp.

You would be amazed as how deep the pvp system is at soul level around 120. So many builds, so many options. Shame that it was limited by the online system. Getting together is the hardest part.

My only wish for Dark Souls is to have a better online system where a friend can actually *gasp* play with another friend without having to coordinate like it was the end of the world.

What was bloody brilliant was the one boss in singleplayer mode where instead of facing the computer, it would actually find somebody in the multiplayer universe and transport them into your game and make him the boss so you are suddenly fighting another human player who has suddenly been given evil sadistic powers to finally be one of the vile creatures that has been torturing him the whole game. Now that is what I call innovative PvP!

I wish they'd just leave the difficulty alone. Demon's Souls was the perfect mix of difficult, and rewarding. It was hard because the game play lent itself to being hard, not stupid cheap shit like God of War for instance. If they start trying to make the game artificially hard (see Dead Space 2: hardcore mode), just for the sake of making it more difficult, they're going to ruin it.

Back